British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian L

Double Delight!

Most us of have probably seen a double-header meeting, but what about a home and away meeting against the same team in the same day. On Good Friday 1978 I saw two fantastic meetings between GBL champs White City and a new-look Hackney side. The first meeting was at White City at 3pm in which White City scraped home 40-38, them I shot off home to have some grub before going to Hackney for the second match at 8pm, Hackney narrowly winning by 39-36. Both matches were not Cup matches, but British League clashes! The unusual scoreline at Hackney resulted from a 0-3 final heat in which Gordon Kennett fell, Finn Thomsen was lapped and Barry Thomas was excluded (silencer?).

I have 2 questions on this thread:

i) has anyone else seen another home and away clash in the same day other than this one?

ii) has anyone seen a heat that ended in 0-0 in which all 4 riders started the race?

Edited by Brian L

i) has anyone else seen another home and away clash in the same day other than this one?

When the fours rounds used to be on the go the Sunday meeting was first at Glasgow then a fast drive down the road for riders and fans for the evening meeting.

Many memories of brilliant fours weekends :) Sadly missed :cry:

Think it was quite a regular thing on Bank Holidays.Don't want to go through my programme collection to see how many times but remember the Dons meeting Oxford home and away in 75.Lost 34-44 in the afternoon.Dag Lovaas getting a 15 point max.Then later won 42-35.Tommy Jansson getting a max :D and Briggo getting 11,being beaten only by Dag.Oh ,and the last heat was a 5-0 to the Dons

Edited by iris123

Hackney Vs Ipswich - many Good Fridays in the 70s

Ipswich Vs Kings Lynn - Good Friday 1999-2002

Ipswich vs Peterborough - Good Friday 2003.

Remember one BH Monday in 1988 I think, Watched Oxford v Reading at 11am, then went to watch a non-league match at Abingdon at 3pm, then made it back to Reading v Oxford at 7.30pm.

Ah those were the days!!!

Like iris, I can't recall how many specific examples, but I remember seeing home and away Hackney/West Ham Bank Holiday clashes back in the 60s.

Edited by norbold

Don't Poole and Eastbourne have Double Header Meetings around Easter time?

Can anybody beat the crazy dbl hdr Brummies/Exeter....only about 150 miles between us? 27th August 1979 a bank holiday Monday, we wont speak about the 11am meeting, Falcons 53 Birm 25 but I will mention 7.45pm Brummies 40 Falcons 38 meeting where Finn Jensen recorded his first full 12 pt max, beating Scott Autrey into the bargain :rolleyes:

Just by accident found this.May 2 1988,Reading 60 Wolves 29.Followed by Wolves 45 Reading 45.Ermelenko scoring an 18 pt max in the second meet and Jan Staechmann might have some memories of the day as well :D

1988 or 1989 Bank Holiday Monday

11am Kings Lynn v Swindon

7.30pm Swindon v Kings Lynn

Paul Thorp guested for Swindon at Kings Lynn then rode for Kings Lynn at Swindon

Neil Evitts guested for Kings Lynn at Kings Lynn & then rode for Swindon at Swindon

weird hey :o

Done Exeter vs Reading & Reading vs Exeter

also 3 in day

Peterborough vs Berwick 11am

Oxford vs Wimbledon 3pm

Reading vs Exeter 7.45 pm

& also remember doing

Birmingham vs Wolves 11am

Rye House vs Eastbourne in afternoon

and ended up with Internationale @ Wimbledon in the evening

Edited by cyclone

August 29th 1983

Cradley 53 - 25 Swindon in the morning (Crump 12)

Swindon 29 - 49 Cradley in the evening (Crump 15max for Swindon!!)

Crumpy got 1/2 of Swindon's points over the 2 matches!!!!!

The way we improved we'd have had 'em after another 3 matches!!

Don't Poole and Eastbourne have Double Header Meetings around Easter time?

Yeah they do Shazzy...Good Friday or Easter Monday usually Poole starts at around 1pm-ish and then the return's at Arlington in the evening.

Edited by rabbit

Rayleigh v Canterbury @ 11am and then Canterbury v Rayleigh @ 7pm - I was only a kid though - honestly. :D

Coventry & Peterborough often had Easter Monday meetings against each other.

Around 11.30 am at The Showground and then 7.30pm at Brandon.

I suppose that won't happen any more though as it will no doubt be Greyhound Racing at Coventry. :(

ii) has anyone seen a heat that ended in 0-0 in which all 4 riders started the race?

Now don't ask me any other details - like when it happened :unsure: - I just know it did because I was there. One by one the riders got excluded by referee Geoff Dalby, at Brandon, until just Rick Miller was left to ride on his own. Rick decided to pop a few wheelies and was promptly excluded for "not making a bona-fide attempt to race." So 0 - 0 all round. :sad:

Edited by Gemini