British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Money for Speed

No, nothing to do with the USA Team from the 1980s, but 1933 film featuring Speedway.

We all know 'Once A Jolly Swagman', but has anyone heard of this one - edited by David Lean no less!?

Review taken from HERE. Take a look at some of the names of the 'players'. There's some well known Speedway names there.

Money for Speed (1933)

Brash Aussie newcomer, Cyril McLaglen, threatens to steal the limelight from speedway star John Loder. Loder tries to nobble him by setting him up with a guaranteed heartbreaking woman.

The mechanics of the script are a little dreary, but boy does the speedway action make up for it! Director Bernard Vorhaus scraped together the £7000 cost of the picture by getting the thrills and spills of actual speedway on film. These sequences with editing by David Lean (who also has an uncredited bit as a journalist) form the core of the film. No other picture captures the atmosphere and excitement of one of the great spectator sports of the 30s.

McLaglen is adequate as the dupe, but the dramatic demands of the plot are a little outside his range. Loder, playing bad for a change, has never been sexier. The undoubted star of the film though has to be 15 year old Ida Lupino as the femme fatale. Other actresses might have gone way over the top in this role, but she effortlessly underplays. She knows she has no need to get the camera's attention. No wonder Hollywood snapped her up.

Money for Speed was listed in the BFI's Missing Believed Lost search. A dubbed French print and a subtitled German one was discovered. Rediscovering Money for Speed has made this search worthwhile. It's not a world classic, but it's a breath of fresh air compared to so many of its contemporaries. I can't think of an American B picture of the same period with half as much oomph as this. Money for Speed gives the lie to the belief that quota-quickies were a blot on this country's film heritage.

Script: Vera Allinson, Monica Ewer, Lionel Hale

Director: Bernard Vorhaus

Players: Moore Marriott, Marie Ault, George Merritt, Sam Wilkinson, Ginger Lees. (with the co-operation of: Ginger Lees, Frank Arthur, Jack Ormston, Colin Watson, Tom Farndon, George Greenwood, Bluey Wilkinson, Jack Parker, Vic Huxley, Eric Langdon, Tiger Stevenson, Ron Johnson, Billie Lamont, Wal Phillips, Frank Varey, Cyclone Danny, John Hoskins, Alec Jackson, F. Mockford, E.J. Bass, A.J. Elvin)

Edited by Grachan

Well, there's a thing. There's more HERE, and you can actually view clips from the film - but only if you are in a School, College or Public Library! Unfortunately, I am in none of these 3 places.

Thought you might say that Norbold.Any info on what track(s) were used for the filming. :unsure:No Brittania of Billingsgate in the archive though :(

Edited by iris123

If anyone knows anything about 30's-40's british comedies starring Will Hay, there used to be a little bearded old man who appeared many a time in the movies ....well that was Moore Marriott? :blink:

If anyone knows anything about 30's-40's british comedies starring Will Hay, there used to be a little bearded old man who appeared many a time in the movies ....well that was Moore Marriott? :blink:

One of my favourites is the one in Ireland when Will Hay is the new station master and Moore Marriott and the tubby youngster his not so friendly colleagues :D

Edited by iris123

One of my favourites is the one in Ireland when Will Hay is the new station master and Moore Marriott and the tubby youngster his not so friendly colleagues :D

It's called Oh Mr Porter and agree it's a classic :D

Off into uni tomorrow to have a look on there computers :D

I'll let you all know what it's like.

If at all possible I'll try and save the movies but I'm guessing it won't be possible but if it is (and I'm sure if it is in any way possible I'll be able to find someone who can do it) I'll put them on my webspace for you lot to get a look.

Edited by SCB

Off into uni tomorrow to have a look on there computers :D

I'll let you all know what it's like.

If at all possible I'll try and save the movies but I'm guessing it won't be possible but if it is (and I'm sure if it is in any way possible I'll be able to find someone who can do it) I'll put them on my webspace for you lot to get a look.

Your wasting your time ;)

Well thats what Moore Marriott keeps saying to Will Hay.Hope it works :unsure:

Sorry folks - although this is nothing to do with speedway let me say

"OLD BONES OF THE RIVER " is classic. :lol::D;)

Just as aside, I have been researching in the local local studies library about another subject, and came across the review of a film due to be shown in Oxford in October 1951, in the local newspaper: "Boxing, speedway racing, crime, romance - 'There is another Sun' - tells of a fairground boxer (Lawrence Harvey) whose mistaken loyalty to a Wall of Death rider leads him into trouble with the Police. Susan Shaw provides love interest. A none too convincing film!"

I'd never heard of that one before - anybody any knowledge?

Regards

Just as aside, I have been researching in the local local studies library about another subject, and came across the review of a film due to be shown in Oxford in October 1951, in the local newspaper: "Boxing, speedway racing, crime, romance - 'There is another Sun' - tells of a fairground boxer (Lawrence Harvey) whose mistaken loyalty to a Wall of Death rider leads him into trouble with the Police. Susan Shaw provides love interest. A none too convincing film!" 

Regards

IMDB

(If you click on 'more' you'll see it has Arthur Mullard in it!)

Edited by Grachan

The review in Halliwell's Film guide says:

"A fairground wall of death rider turns to crime. Glum quickie which was oddly popular." Rating: No stars.

Regards

IMDB

(If you click on 'more' you'll see it has Arthur Mullard in it!)

And Nosher Powell,who used to run one of the pubs by Plough Lane