British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarabanko

Info & Photos Of Defunct Tracks

I wonder if anybody has photos from now defunct tracks in England,

as;

New Cross,

Harringay, Hyde Road, Birminghamn, Bristol, Crystal Palace, Edinburgh (Marine Gardens), Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Halifax (The Shay), Lea Bridge, Leicester,

London White City, Norwich (The Firs), Plymouth, Stamford Bridge, and West Ham.

I also want to know that there is at the old speedwaytracks now.

This is only for my own curiosity..

Cheers

Try www.speedwayplus.co.uk they have a good selection of defuncy track piccys.

Can only speak about Halifax (The Shay) the stadium is currently used by Halifax Town and Halifax Rugby League, the stadium has been semi developed and the squared off so no chance of speedway returning to the Shay.

Some of those tracks aren't in England :o

Try the book "Homes of British Speedway" by R.Bamford & J.Jarvis,published by Tempus.Full of info and pics.

I've got photos of New Cross, Harringay, West Ham and Norwich. I have sent them to the www.speedwayplus.co.uk site mentioned above, so they should be there, though I haven't checked to see if they are.

Harringay is a Sainsbury's; West Ham and Norwich are housing estates; Lea Bridge is part of an industrial estate; London White City is the BBC; Stamford Bridge is home to a little known football club called Chelsea; Crystal Palace is an athletics track; New Cross is part housing and part park.

Crystal Palace is an athletics track; New Cross is part housing and part park.

I said on another thread that there was still some of the stadium there the last time i was there(10years ago).Part of the park included some of the terracing from one of the bends.There was also some gate houses or something.

Wasn't there also a bit of the Palace track/stadium?Thought there was a Crystal Palace tour once a month or so that took you all around the whole site of the exhibition,including the dinosaurs:unsure:

as;New Cross,

Harringay, Hyde Road, Birminghamn, Bristol, Crystal Palace, Edinburgh (Marine Gardens), Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Halifax (The Shay), Lea Bridge, Leicester,

I also want to know that there is at the old speedwaytracks now. 

This is only for my own curiosity..

Cheers

I don't know if you would be interested in looking at my photos of Leicester? http://community.webshots.com/album/243463008ubFuHQ

As you will see houses were built on the site about five years after closure. :sad:

There are also a couple from Birmingham Wheels Project, Bordesley Green and others from Perry Barr....here..... http://community.webshots.com/album/246145659btqrKB

Edited by Gemini

My heartwarm thanks to you all who as answered in this topic.

/ Mikael

I've got photos of New Cross, Harringay, West Ham and Norwich. I have sent them to the www.speedwayplus.co.uk site mentioned above, so they should be there, though I haven't checked to see if they are.

I've just checked and they're not there yet. I could e-mail them to you if you wish. I also have some of Hackney.

Crystal Palace is an athletics track; New Cross is part housing and part park.

I said on another thread that there was still some of the stadium there the last time i was there(10years ago).Part of the park included some of the terracing from one of the bends.There was also some gate houses or something.

Wasn't there also a bit of the Palace track/stadium?Thought there was a Crystal Palace tour once a month or so that took you all around the whole site of the exhibition,including the dinosaurs:unsure:

I haven't been to New Cross for some time (too painful :sad: ) but I don't think anything has changed since your last visit, iris.

I don't know about the Crystal Palace tour.

Edited by norbold

Your probably from the wrong part of London,Norbold,but i do have a memory from when i was quite young.For some reason my parents used to shop at Tesco's in Crystal Palace for a while.Maybe it was the first supermarket in South London,haven't a clue why they went so far to shop :unsure: Anyway there was always a big sign there by the Palace with a motorbike rider.As this must have been end of the 60's early 70's was there any motorbike activity there then?Probably just a training school or something or maybe they hadn't taken the sign down from some earlier racing.

Iris,

Did they not have Motor Racing there into the 70's? Seems to ring a bell, so I guess the bikes could have used the same track.

I lived in fairly nearby South Norwood for a year or so in the 90's and you were able to walk around the whole of the site at your leisure. I'm certain a local author had written a book/booklet about the sporting history of the site which might give you more info.

as;

New Cross,

Cheers

There was a good photo of the main stand at West Ham in the last issue of Backtrack magazine.

Also Robert Bamford and John Jarvis produced 2 books entitled Track Photography that covered a lot of the defunct stadia.

Yeah,i remember once walking around the park and being amazed that you could walk up the steps and into the Athletics stadium.Everything was open.Was always a great day out when i was little.The dinosaurs, the zoo,the pelicans in the lake,but especially climbing on the back of the Gorilla statue :D Got Lionel Crossley's book on Crystal Palace speedway.In it he says up until '83 there was a bit of the track fenced off with a plaque,but it was vandalised.Imagined he meant that the plaque was nicked and maybe the fence was damaged,but i couldn't find anything. :(

Also tarabanko,"Speedway in Scotland " has pics of the Scottish tracks.Have a bit of footage from Marine Gardens on a dvd called "Aces of yesteryear"pt 6

Edited by iris123

Try www.speedwayplus.co.uk  they have a good selection of defuncy track piccys.

Can only speak about Halifax (The Shay) the stadium is currently used by Halifax Town and Halifax Rugby League, the stadium has been semi developed and the squared off so no chance of speedway returning to the Shay.

I used to love going to Halifax, with the long straights and the steeped banking on the bends .

Switch on Sky Sports 1 right now and you can see the Shay as it is today, complete with real Speedway weather!!!

I've just checked and they're not there yet. I could e-mail them to you if you wish. I also have some of Hackney.

The main race track at Crystal Palace was a 'road race' track, used by many different types of racers; the last ti,e I visited the Palace (for a "Custom Car" show at the pool/sports centre back in the mid-70s) you could still see part of the tarmac track.

I doubt whether this was the site of the speedway track .... unless someone else out there knows different!