British Speedway Forum
Anders`

What Is The History Behind....

Why is there a yellow and black helmet cover?

Can understand the red, blue, white/green but why yellow and black

Also,

Why is the penultimate flag a yellow one with a black cross. The rest of them make sense....

If anyone knows.... :)

I believe it was originally a yellow helmet cover but was changed to yellow and black to avoid confusion with white.

The speedway helmet colours come from Greyhound racing traps: 1 = red, 2 = blue, 3 = white, 4 = black combined with 5 = yellow.

Some early league meetings had both home riders in red and away in blue.

The covers themselves were, I believe, originally waterproof covers worn over cork crash helmets, as used by early aviators and I've seen pictures of riders in the IoM TT wearing them in the '20s.

That's very interesting miro.

The only thing I would say is that all the pre-War programmes I have show the fourth rider as wearing yellow, not yellow and black. Maybe they were yellow and black but they just printed yellow in the programme?

Now you say it Norbold I can't picture anyone in the pre-war years wearing a yellow and black helmet colour, all very ad hoc in those days of course. The black and yellow halves were from the 1940s to 1956 when the quadrant came in then I guess. The Swedes used plain yellow and a black cross on yellow too.

Ah Speedway trivia, you can't beat it to pass the time.

Now you say it Norbold I can't picture anyone in the pre-war years wearing a yellow and black helmet colour, all very ad hoc in those days of course. The black and yellow halves were from the 1940s to 1956 when the quadrant came in then I guess. The Swedes used plain yellow and a black cross on yellow too.

Ah Speedway trivia, you can't beat it to pass the time.

I seem to remember somewhere in the back of my brain that the Yellow / Black helmet had something to do with TV coverage....but I cannot think of it now...maybe I will have prodded someone else by this post.

I can understand the confusion with the early white and the yellow helmet covers on black and white photographs, that's probably why they quartered the yellow helment cover with black, or there again perhaps not, it was just a thought.

I seem to remember somewhere in the back of my brain that the Yellow / Black helmet had something to do with TV coverage....but I cannot think of it now...maybe I will have prodded someone else by this post.

Yes, now you mention it, that does ring a bell...

The Greyhound Racing Traps colours come from Speedway Helmet Colours: 1 = red, 2 = blue, 3 = white, 4 = black combined with 5 = yellow.

:approve: Much better, how dare they think we follow their lead (so to speak) even if it is true :wink:

Reading your post again, andout, (see, I'm trying not to use quotes!), if that was the case, it is a bit ironic that it is now television that wants to change it back from yellow and black to yellow!

In the early days in Australia, I belive it started in 1926 the promotors gave each rider a coloured vest jockey style to identify the the riders they kept to that coulor all season.

But as numbers grew it got difficult as there were up to 100 bikes at a meet.

So I am guessing here some one came up with the START colour idea.

Edited by spiderweb

I bet that in 30 or 40 years time (Hope speedway lasts that long, although I certainly will not) people will be looking at photograph and confusing the Yello/Black helmet cover with the new fangled White/Black. cover. I can see the arguments raging for years. :D

Sorry to have to disagree with your brain but the yellow and black helmet covers were standard issue when I first watched speedway at Hyde Road in 1946.

My wife, Margaret, and I bought our first television set in 1954 [only one channel, BBC]. It was several years before speedway was televised. Colour television was, arguably, introduced generally in the mid 60s.

That's the point Bert. The yellow helmet looked like the white one on black and White TV, that's why the change to yellow and black.

Speedway was televised at least from 1946, maybe pre-War, but it was certainly filmed regularly for Pathe News.