British Speedway Forum
father jack

Left Handed Rider... Does Anybody Know ?

I've heard a story off an older supporter about a rider in the 60's who was left handed, and had the thottle on the left of the handlebars with the clutch on the right ! But coudn't remember his name.

I think he was pulling my leg, does anyone know who this rider was?

I can't answer that one, but I do know that Peter Collins had both his throttle and clutch lever on the same side to allow him to ride with a wrist/arm injury in the '70's.

During the infamous run-off against Anders Michanek for the KO Cup at Hyde Road, in fact, where the riders passed and repassed on each bend for four laps before PC got the nod. He had the throttle and clutch on his left hand because he'd broken a wrist.

As for genuinely left-handed riders, I expect most of them use right-handed throttles to this day. Don't know of any who have configured a bike the opposite way around.

there was someone else and i think they had the surname of Beaton ... not sure if it was Bobby or not.

if i remember rightly i'm sure he rode for a Northern club.

Glasgow and Hull are in my mind which is why i thought it could be Bobby Beaton for Hull

During the infamous run-off against Anders Michanek for the KO Cup at Hyde Road, in fact, where the riders passed and repassed on each bend for four laps before PC got the nod.  He had the throttle and clutch on his left hand because he'd broken a wrist.

It was the clutch that he moved Andy and operated them both with his right hand

there was someone else and i think they had the surname of Beaton ... not sure if it was Bobby or not.

if i remember rightly i'm sure he rode for a Northern club.

Glasgow and Hull are in my mind which is why i thought it could be Bobby Beaton for Hull

Jimmy .. badly injured when he clashed with Bradford's Dave Baugh on the back straight at Shieldfield (some, including me, would say the youngster got fenced for having the audacity to try and pass an old hand). When he came back he had throttle and clutch on same side ... never really worked too well because the mechanics (physics rather than men/women in greasy overalls!!) of it don't really work.

Shame, he was a promising young rider

Edited by Exiled Bandit

Think you will find most left handed people can adapt pretty well to any right handed set up....and that goes for anything, not just speedway bikes.

How do I know?....I'm left handed

Think you will find most left handed people can adapt pretty well to any right handed set up....and that goes for anything, not just speedway bikes.

Yes you are right........but only because we have to, its still a right handers world.

You poor lefties...having to adapt like that. I'm useless with my left...you know what, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... :)

Spoke to the 'Old Timer' on the phone today, he assures me this rider does exist, he rode from the about 1962 in the old provincal leauge untill the early 1970's

He said the wierdest thing was seeing him winding on the throttle with the left hand !

Edited by father jack

its still a right handers world.

everyone is born right handed ... only the greatest overcome it :approve:

I remember Simon Wigg saying that the subject of left-hander's had been discussed a few times by riders...and they all agreed that it's easier for left-handed people to race speedway.

Because the positioning of the bike in the bends is controlled mainly with the left-hand side and the strength required comes mainly from the right. Which would definitely come more naturally to left-hookers. Also your reflexes are faster in your most-used hand...meaning consistently fast clutch-release is more likely to us lefties too B) .

But I wonder which of today's top-boy's are left-handed...if any :blink:

everyone is born right handed ... only the greatest overcome it  :approve:

Do what my sister did, break your wrist when you're young and you have to learn to use the other arm, she can use both arms to write etc.

Using the theory that Steve Turner has posted, to get out of the starts quicker, would it not be better for riders to switch the throttle and clutch around then? Might take a bit of getting used to, but they'd get out of the starts quicker. Or is it really not a viable option.

Didn't Scott Nicholls have both throttle and cluth on the same side in the 1999(?) GP at Coventry after damaging his hand the week before? I know it caused him to go through the tapes in one heat.

Edited by SCB

Something else we have in common! :)

However, I cannot see this becoming the start of "Lefties of the World Unite!"

Just cannot see that happening! :D

Edited by Tabby3

Left handed people naturally find it easier to turn right and right handed to turn left, if you doubt it hop on a push bike and turn both ways at a very slow speed.