British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your All-time Hero..and Why

Zdenek Kudrna for me. The guy was just such a character, ok, never a world beater in conventional speedway, but we loved him at Brum and I'd guess Falcons fans loved him too. Much missed.

I will admit that George Major and Arthur Browning come close, but when push comes to shove, it has to be ZK.

In the next issue of VSM (No.50) we will be including more input from our readers, including a new feature called 'MY HERO'.

We're asking you to tell us the name of your all-time favourite rider (must be pre-70s) and why they were so special to you.

Tony Mac

Like a few others who've contributed on here, Tony, I didn't actually see my first Speedway race 'til after the 'shut-off point' of 1970 for this distinction (though only missed it by a couple of years! ;) ) but I have a nomination...

George Barclay came to Speedway relatively late but can STILL be seen riding in that graceful style of his regularly at practice/training sessions at Sittingbourne..

What started for George as a day out giving it a try at a Rye House training day in the mid-1960s led to him riding in the top division for his beloved West Ham Hammers at the peerless Custom House.

Then there those extraordinarily long distance trips to Sunderland, where George not only rode in the team but did all the pre-meeting and post-meeting track works! :o

And long after retiring from the track (after any rider’s natural pinnacle being a Crayford Kestrel!! :wink: ), George remains an inspiration: his huge presiding force (along with partner Linda) forcing the Speedway world to dig into its pockets to make the Speedway Museum a reality.

George & I share a surname and live on adjacent streets in East London but aren't related. He jokingly refers to me as his son (sometimes even his grandson..! :rolleyes: ) when we're together and he's introducing me to someone..! That’s a laugh as, though he IS old enough to be my father, 'Gentleman' George looks so great, even though now in his seventies, he can easily get away with being a slightly older and far better looking brother!!! :)

And I'm proud to call him a friend..: when we look back at the history of Speedway, there are few if any, more articulate, more gentlemanly servants of this great sport of ours than George Barclay. He'll do as my pre-1970s (and ling after too...) all-time hero!!!

Like a few others who've contributed on here, Tony, I didn't actually see my first Speedway race 'til after the 'shut-off point' of 1970 for this distinction (though only missed it by a couple of years! ;) )

Parsloes - who are you kidding, I thought you went to speedway in 1929, hence your BSF name. :wink::lol:

All the best

Rob

OK, so not pre-70s but my hero was and is PC. Watching he and Mort riding for the Aces was a golden era of speedway for me (and Andy Smith as a youngster too.) Speedway will never be that entertaining, ever again... sigh!!

What an interesting subject line----- As someone else has said-there were so many "favourite riders." My all time favourite has to be Oliver Hart,along with speedyguys comments, Oliver was DIFFERENT. Probably the last of the great legtrailers,when he was with a good line rider like Ron Clarke,an under rated rider,no one could get past. Olly simply leaned over and covered half the track it seemed. Another special favourite was Norman Hargreaves, who started as a family friend,my dad's mate,then a hero as I got interested in speedway,and then as my friend as I got older. Norman's best years were probably taken away by the war,but he did well enough to set a new track record at Birmingham and beat Graham Warren. My third special favourite is a forgotten name in speedway,a lad who I met at school,became mates with and 60 years later we still are. We rode cycle speedway against each other,then I emigrated and "lost" speedway for a while, but my mate Johnny Greenwood became a good rider with Edinbrough and Exeter ,was invited down to Australia in 1956 by Ted Tracey, former rider who then was promoter at Maribyrnong Speedway in Melbourne. John did well enough to be invited over to South Australia to race against Jack Young on his home track. Beat him twice and crashed in his last race going for a maximum and badly injuring his right arm. Lost the use of that arm permanently and a promising career finished.He goes to most GP meetings and still retains his interest. Is a member of the speedway veterans assoc.(sic).Cheers.

What an interesting subject line-----  As someone else has said-there were so many "favourite riders."  My all time favourite has to be Oliver Hart,along with speedyguys comments, Oliver was DIFFERENT. Probably the last of the great legtrailers,when he was with a good line rider like Ron Clarke,an under rated rider,no one could get past. Olly simply leaned over and covered half the track it seemed. .

Yes, as a specatcle man his style will never be equalled. I first saw him as a Wimbledon rider in 1946.

The Dons have never provided a replacement for him as a sheer and delightful thrillmaker.

Vic Ridgeon :blink::lol:

Seriously, I'd love to read about Kid Bodie/Howard Cole - that's got to be a story worth telling!

Like a few others who've contributed on here, Tony, I didn't actually see my first Speedway race 'til after the 'shut-off point' of 1970 for this distinction (though only missed it by a couple of years! ;) ) but I have a nomination...

George Barclay came to Speedway relatively late but can STILL be seen riding in that graceful style of his regularly at practice/training sessions at Sittingbourne..

What started for George as a day out giving it a try at a Rye House training day in the mid-1960s led to him riding in the top division for his beloved West Ham Hammers at the peerless Custom House.

Then there those extraordinarily long distance trips to Sunderland, where George not only rode in the team but did all the pre-meeting and post-meeting track works! :o

And long after retiring from the track (after any rider’s natural pinnacle being a Crayford Kestrel!! :wink: ), George remains an inspiration: his huge presiding force (along with partner Linda) forcing the Speedway world to dig into its pockets to make the Speedway Museum a reality.

George & I share a surname and live on adjacent streets in East London but aren't related.  He jokingly refers to me as his son (sometimes even his grandson..! :rolleyes: ) when we're together and he's introducing me to someone..!  That’s a laugh as, though he IS old enough to be my father, 'Gentleman' George looks so great, even though now in his seventies, he can easily get away with being a slightly older and far better looking brother!!!  :)

And I'm proud to call him a friend..: when we look back at the history of Speedway, there are few if any, more articulate, more gentlemanly servants of this great sport of ours than George Barclay.  He'll do as my pre-1970s (and ling after too...) all-time hero!!!

A very nice tribute to a very nice man. His is always welcome to Sunderland and the North East. Along with Russ Dent, they were the mainstay of Sunderland speedway in the early seventies.

Bob "Stars" Ferry

two riders that stood out for me and i admit a bit of poole bias here were christer lofqvist and john langfield.christer was magic on a bike almost a swedish peter craven his passing was legendary at poole a great man sadly missed .as for john langfield entertainment with a capital E orange leathers fans loved him refs hated him never a world beater but he was virtually unstoppable at sydney showground.he was worth the entrance fee just see what would get up to.away from the track mild mannered and polite he even wrote the knott family a 12 page letter expressing his regret at not being able to return to poole because his young family were of school age and he thought it better that they were settled in aussie wish we had entertainers like him today

Edited by oddfossengen

two riders that stood out for me and i admit a bit of poole bias here were christer lofqvist and john langfield.christer was magic on a bike almost a swedish peter craven his passing was legendary at poole a great man sadly missed .as for john langfield entertainment with a capital E orange leathers fans loved him refs hated him never a world beater but he was virtually unstoppable at sydney showground.he was worth the entrance fee just see what would get up to.away from the track mild mannered and polite he even wrote the knott family a 12 page letter expressing his regret at not being able to return to poole because his young family were of school age and he thought it better that they were settled in aussie wish we had entertainers like him today

ronnie moore for his brilliant team riding and christer lofqvist for his fence scraping antics on a track as wide as west ham! (1969/70).

G/Day oddfossengen

John is still going sideways today.... :lol:

http://www.sportfund.com/langy40/default.aspx

http://www.johnlangfield.whlsites.com/

Regards.

john langfield. entertainment with a capital E orange leathers fans loved him refs hated him never a world beater but he was virtually unstoppable at sydney showground.he was worth the entrance fee just see what would get up to.away from the track mild mannered and polite he even wrote the knott family a 12 page letter expressing his regret at not being able to return to poole because his young family were of school age and he thought it better that they were settled in aussie wish we had entertainers like him today

G/Day oddfossengen

John is still going sideways today.... :lol:

http://www.sportfund.com/langy40/default.aspx

http://www.johnlangfield.whlsites.com/

Regards.g\day to you trackman glad we share the same mutual admiration for a man that bought a smile to speedway i can still see him now climbing up the poole grandstand steps to confront the ref(egged on by the crowd) pure entertainment which is sadly lacking in todays p.c world

Edited by oddfossengen

We interviewed Langy (via email) for the very first issue of Backtrack in March 2004, although admittedly it was only a simple Q&A that ran to one page.

He certainly deserves to be covered in much more depth - a must for a future VSM.

What does it mean John captained Australia in speedway and dirt track racing????What is dirt track racing then?Longtrack or auto racing :unsure: Not sure i would understand an explanation from Trackman though.So if anyone else would like to offer an explanation :lol:

We interviewed Langy (via email) for the very first issue of Backtrack in March 2004, although admittedly it was only a simple Q&A that ran to one page.

He certainly deserves to be covered in much more depth - a must for a future VSM.

agree 100% on that one