British Speedway Forum
KrisB

Rayleigh Rockets

Is there anywhere on the web with information and pictures about the Rockets? My first ever speedway in 1966 and I'd particularly like to see stadium pictures...

Some of the early Rayleigh programmes had an aerial view of the stadium on the front. I have some. If you let me have your e-mail address I can scan one in and send it to you.

Some of the early Rayleigh programmes had an aerial view of the stadium on the front. I have some. If you let me have your e-mail address I can scan one in and send it to you.

Please will you send one to me too? I live round the corner from the old stadium, and can see the horrible Sainbury's, that now stands there, from my house.

My email address is ClivClav@aol.com

Thanks

P.S. Any pictures of West Ham Stadium would be greatly appreciated too. Especially if you have the one of the Nazi bombers flying over Custom House.

Edited by Cliv Clav

No Nazi bombers I'm afraid, but I'll see what I can do....

Kris, if you send me a private email I'll put you in touch with my friend Keith McGhie who was originally from Rayleigh and likely to be a good source of information about the stadium and team.

don't spend too much time looking at Sainsbury's.the stadium was up where comets is.believe it or not I have still not got over the closure of Rayleigh I guess I never will.I loved the place. :cry:

Edited by the brick

Action footage of Rayleigh can be found on the 1st 3 volumes of the Days Gone By series of DVD's.

Action footage of Rayleigh can be found on the 1st 3 volumes of the Days Gone By series of DVD's.

Can you be more specific about which Rayleigh matches on volume 2 and 3 ? . . .

Can you be more specific about which Rayleigh matches on volume 2 and 3 ? . . .

There are lots on Vol 2 against various clubs and the same of Vol3 as well full details can be found on my website (at the base of this message)

Vol 2

1974 world championship story incl Germany, Wembley and SwedenHackney various 1960’s & 70’sRye HouseRayleighBarry Thomas v Dave JessupEastbourne v Romford 1969

Vol 3

Crewe v RayleighEngland v Czech (Crewe 69)Peterborough v Crewe cup finalRomford v CreweChelmsfordRayleigh various Eastbourne v Rayleigh 1972Canterbury v Rayleigh 1972Rye House v Romford 1970?Boston 1970

Guest speedyguy
There are lots on Vol 2 against various clubs and the same of Vol3 as well full details can be found on my website (at the base of this message)

Vol 2

1974 world championship story incl Germany, Wembley and SwedenHackney various 1960’s & 70’sRye HouseRayleighBarry Thomas v Dave JessupEastbourne v Romford 1969

Vol 3

Crewe v RayleighEngland v Czech (Crewe 69)Peterborough v Crewe cup finalRomford v CreweChelmsfordRayleigh various Eastbourne v Rayleigh 1972Canterbury v Rayleigh 1972Rye House v Romford 1970?Boston 1970

Anything about the meetings - 1964? - promoted by Maury McDermott and Stan Clark? Did they fall foul of officialdom or have I been screwed up by the source? I have a vague memory that Al Holliday may have been one of the junior riders. But it may well be it was all another time.

Rayleigh started the 1964 season with a series of open meetings after withdrawing from the Provincial League at the end of 1963. The promoters were Wally Clark, Stan Clark and Maurie McDermott. Later in the year they took part in the Metropolitan League with Eastbourne, Weymouth, Newpool (a combination of Newport and Poole juniors) and Ipswich with a view the rejoining the Provincial League in 1965.

The 1964 season was run under the Provincial League banner. 1964 was the year the Provincial League was officially banned, so in that sense the Rayleigh management did fall foul of officialdom in the same way that all Provincial League tracks did, but when the new British League was formed in 1965, they were back in the British League.

In fact Rayleigh had originally wanted to stay official in 1964 and operate within the National League orbit and actually arranged for their opening match to be against Norwich but the National League rules at the time prohibited foreigners riding on open meeting tracks, so Norwich would not have been able to use Fundin and Nygren. That same rule would have applied to all challenge matches in 1964, so they decided to throw in their lot with the Provincial League instead.

Is there anywhere on the web with information and pictures about the Rockets? My first ever speedway in 1966 and I'd particularly like to see stadium pictures...

Hi KrisB,

I originally came from Rayleigh and as a lad used to see the Rockets.

Sadly, I was always too late to see the start. Mostly sad, because I always wanted to see the mascot go round on his bike, which was Triumph Tiger Cub speedway bike.

The stadium, as I remember was tatty, but the racing and track, as I remember, was excellent.

A very entertaining rider was Red Ott. He was often injured, but when he was racing he was exciting. He rode wearing glasses. His mechanic was a little old boy, called Bill Pryke.

I too have never got over the closure.

Regards.

Ray Rocket :D

Just found this thread. The Weir was my first and really I guess my only speedway home. Discovered it at the age of thirteen and lost it the day after my sixteenth birthday.

No I don't think i ever got over the loss and Rye House was never truly home.

It was agonising to lose something you'd fallen in love with far too soon and at such a young age.

I remember reading about the closure plans in the Evening Echo in floods of tears.

It is far too easy for people to be blase about others losing their tracks, something that is far too prevalent in speedway. Football fans think they're suffering if their team gets relegated....

Rayleigh Rockets - my first and only real sporting love. May the memories live forever.

Regards,

Rob.

Yes. I remember my first visits to Rayleigh when Roy Uden, Percy Brine and Jack Unstead were the big stars. Must have been 1948 or 1949.

Edited by speedyguy