British Speedway Forum
KrisB

Rayleigh Rockets

Now Young Robert, I can correct you on this, because there was indeed a track, it was owned by a former Rayleigh rider and used as a training track, when it was found out they made them close it, Footage is on the Days Gone By DVD. (see link below). terry Stone gave me all the details on it.

Thanks, I am delighted to learn something. That was one that never made it into the public domain. Was it at the Great Leighs site?

Thanks, I am delighted to learn something. That was one that never made it into the public domain. Was it at the Great Leighs site?

No it was a track on a farm, I will have to look at the dvd to see who it was practicing on it. But obviously it is rare footage, as is my Portsmouth footage from the 30's..

No it was a track on a farm, I will have to look at the dvd to see who it was practicing on it. But obviously it is rare footage, as is my Portsmouth footage from the 30's..

i think the track was built by johnny guilfoyle for his son laurie guilfoyle to practise on.laurie raced second halfs at rayleigh and i think he may of made a few apperances for the rockets.

i think the track was built by johnny guilfoyle for his son laurie guilfoyle to practise on.laurie raced second halfs at rayleigh and i think he may of made a few apperances for the rockets.

Sadly I sold my speedway records and programme collection after leaving Rye House so I don't have anything but memory to go on but I'm pretty sure Laurie had outings at Rayleigh and Hackney at least.

Okay Ken, as soon as I can rub a few fivers together you have a sale :wink:

That reminds me, I must order some of my own programmes from the Tape 2 Tape video vault - I have very few copies ironically.

It was indeed Laurie and Johnny G.

It's amzing whats still out there, had some sent over from teh USA, so more work to do.

as is my Portsmouth footage from the 30's..

About as rare as your footage on Canterbury as well Ken :wink:

Has anyone got the correct website address for Re-run videos please?

Edited by shazzybird

tape2tapevideo Posted Yesterday, 08:42 AM

The track was actually in Little Waltham, which is about 4 miles from Chelmsford. It was only a few hundred yards from my house, and as a 10 year old, spent most Saturdays watching the riders training, Johnny Guilfoyle, actually let us ride our pedal cycles round the track a few times.

Rayleigh Rockets held their practice session at the track one year, and I also remember Japanes rider Jimmy Ogisu, arriving late one night, and having a practice on the track.

tape2tapevideo Posted Yesterday, 08:42 AM

The track was actually in Little Waltham, which is about 4 miles from Chelmsford. It was only a few hundred yards from my house, and as a 10 year old, spent most Saturdays watching the riders training, Johnny Guilfoyle, actually let us ride our pedal cycles round the track a few times.

Rayleigh Rockets held their practice session at the track one year, and I also remember Japanes rider Jimmy Ogisu, arriving late one night, and having a practice on the track.

The footage also has some youngsters on pedal bikes only a few seconds but could be you?!

Dont think he has one anymore!

Damn as I know they would have some for sale, never mind maybe see them at Arena at some point.

I have some footage from Rayleigh,taken in 1958,of the 'Atom Car'

It shows Ronnie Greene and Cyril Brine,setting the car up in the pits,before embarking on a few demo laps of the circuit.No bike action Im afraid.

It is from the Briitsh Pathe series.

Incidently,this was sent to me via email from former Wimbledon,Wolves,Cradley and Hackney star,Bob Andrews.

I have tried many times to put the link on here,without success.If anyone would like the link,please PM on here with your email address,and I will happily forward it on to you.

Hope it helps.

I have some footage from Rayleigh,taken in 1958,of the 'Atom Car'

It shows Ronnie Greene and Cyril Brine,setting the car up in the pits,before embarking on a few demo laps of the circuit.No bike action Im afraid.

It is from the Briitsh Pathe series.

Incidently,this was sent to me via email from former Wimbledon,Wolves,Cradley and Hackney star,Bob Andrews.

I have tried many times to put the link on here,without success.If anyone would like the link,please PM on here with your email address,and I will happily forward it on to you.

Hope it helps.

I am certain the Atom Car did not appear at Rayleigh but in fact was at Wimbledon Stadium.

The car is now owned by Jack Taylor.

Edited by speedyguy

I am certain the Atom Car did not appear at rayleigh but in fact was at Wimbledon Stadium.

The car is now owned by Jack Taylor.

Definitely not Wimbledon.Cant confirm its Rayleigh either,as I only went there once as a 5 year old,and cant remember it.

Let me have your email,and see for yourself!

Thanks. I have been into the site you mentioned.

I agree it is NOT Wimbledon but most likely Rayleigh.

This car has been chronicled in several publications, Vintage Speedway Magazine and Short Circuit several times. These have always given the impression that tests only took place at Wimbledon.

Indeed, in one test at Plough Lane, Moore was quite badly injured when the car overturned amd never drove it again.

Was this Rayleigh test, I wonder, 'a secret test' before the 'official' tests at Wimbledon?

I have had another look at the site and its stills of the Atom Racer.

In the top left corner, it does say Wimbledon Stadium and gives a date as November 1955?

This really is becoming a mystery. I cannot recognise the stadium as Wimbledon, but could it be before the Grandstand was rebuilt?

Another mystery that needs an answer. It's always great when something like this happens.

PS: Just a thought - could this track be Tongham Stadium at Aldershot?

Edited by speedyguy