British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rentaghost

Dennis Sigalos

Yes a very stylish guy, I remember him better riding for Hull.

Trying to think who in today's riders reminds me, but can't think of anybody at the moment.

Great rider, but for some reason my main memories of Dennis seem to be of when he made a bit of an arse of himself.

In a World Championship Qualifier at White City he reared up badly and snaked all over the track, causing Hans Nielsen to fall. Sigalos was excluded, but for some reasons refused to accept it was his fault, and even came out for the re-run giving 'V' signs to the ref before finally having to leave the track. You can understand riders getting frustrated from time to time when things go against them, but it was so obviously his own fault.

Another time was in a World Team Cup final, when he was way ahead with one lap to go, but Michael Lee caught him up and passed him on the line. Being interviewed after the race he admitted he was so far in front that he gave up trying and went to sleep. 'It's just.. inexcusable...' he said.

I think he also won the notorious race in the 1982 Overseas Final when Bruce Penhall didn't try and pulled wheelies at the back.

Great rider, but for some reason my main memories of Dennis seem to be of when he made a bit of an arse of himself.

In a World Championship Qualifier at White City he reared up badly and snaked all over the track, causing Hans Nielsen to fall. Sigalos was excluded, but for some reasons refused to accept it was his fault, and even came out for the re-run giving 'V' signs to the ref before finally having to leave the track. You can understand riders getting frustrated from time to time when things go against them, but it was so obviously his own fault.

Another time was in a World Team Cup final, when he was way ahead with one lap to go, but Michael Lee caught him up and passed him on the line. Being interviewed after the race he admitted he was so far in front that he gave up trying and went to sleep. 'It's just.. inexcusable...' he said.

I think he also won the notorious race in the 1982 Overseas Final when Bruce Penhall didn't try and pulled wheelies at the back.

i was at white city that day and when he won his next race after the exclusion he did indeed give the ref the v sign as he crossed the line! once had a 10.99 average when they only used to have 4 rides a meeting! unbelievable

Have to say though he never reached his full potential, like alot of the Americans.

Averages are still based on 4 rides per meeting nowadays. In fact it's probably harder to get a higher average now because of fixed gate positions and the top scorers race. 10.99 is still damn impressive though.

Yes makes you wonder even more why he did not get anywhere near a world title.

Have to say though he never reached his full potential, like alot of the Americans.

a bad ankle break put paid to that, he was just approaching his peak and blowing everyone away when it happened. tried to make a comeback in 1985 but fell again and aggrivated it so called it a day

Never reached his full potential because of injury. Without that he would probably given Hans and Erik a run for their money in the late 80's.

Have to disagree, at the time of his injury, I think was on the top of his game, but did not make his mark on a world final.

It was watching riders like him and John Cook at Foxhall that made me become hooked to the sport. Yes he should have done more with his career but how many others can we say that about? Gollob, Sanders, Moran brothers etc

Karl