British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
briggo

Leathers

You may not have liked Willy`s Bostick leathers but he was one of, if not THE first riders to have sponsorship on his leathers a true pioneer in that field, he also had a great set in red with a black and white chequred pattern they good too, the worst ? did`nt Rick Miller have some Pufta pink ones at some time ?

You may not have liked Willy`s Bostick leathers but he was one of, if not THE first riders to have sponsorship on his leathers a true pioneer in that field, he also had a great set in red with a black and white chequred pattern they good too, the worst ? did`nt Rick Miller have some Pufta pink ones at some time ?

That was Jamie Habbin

Rick Miller's pink ones were before Habbin's. They were a very girly powder pink....Nice!! :blink:

as a favour for Liontamer the attached picture is of himself wearing quote.....

"Ray Wilson's red with black & white cheques pair. Well they are the very same pair I'm wearing in the attached picture."

Quite liked the "team" leathers.The Briggo boys in the 70's then a few teams in the mid 80's had them,Hackney,Mildenhall,Rye House for example.Also thought Martin Goodwin in his red/white checks stood out.Think PC in the 70's had some colourful ones

Mildenhalls were the ones with the tassels on the sleeves weren't they?!

Yeah,and the Tiger stripes.Nice!

Bert Harkins always had very distinctive leathers in the early 70's.

as far as team leathers go I liked the late 60's Leicester Lions, much better than the 1972 Cradley dark brown!!!

Always used to like Jan Andersson's Halvarsson leathers of the early 80's.

Bert Harkins wore white boots.

I was mentioning the ones i liked :P

yeah i know what you mean ... could never work out why Chris Galvin got red, yellow and black for Canterbury, but hey, got a day out at the motorcycle show where we were measured up and i got a free set of leathers :D

while i think of it, those red, yellow and blue Hackney ones were horrible!!

Edited by stevehone

Guest Jim Blanchard

As you know I am a bit of an anorak when it comes to these 'details' of the sport dont know why - all I did at school was draw 'handlebars', face masks, leathers etc. Not sure why - probably something lacking. :( Though, have you seen the little drawing books of George Harrison when he was a kid, drawing guitars and pick ups and holes in them that look like notes?

Anyway, going off topic. Ronnie Moore used the Swedish made pig skin type (always immaculate too) which were flexible and very supple but not as tough as cow hide. They had quite high padding on the shoulders and knees and also nice and handy pockets in the bottoms. Ove wore them as did Bjorn Knutson, Barry Briggs etc. Very stylish, very smart. Peter Craven never did as far as I can tell. Though cow hide they had virtually no padding to talk of. As everyone knows with PC he wore his jimmyjams underneath them and the legs out side his wee lace up boots. PC also use to have half of a steel shoe on the front of his right boot too.

I had a pair of those pig skin ones once bought them from Alan Belham. Wished I still had them. :rolleyes::D

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Guest Christophers Dad
I had a pair of those pig skin ones once bought them from Alan Belham. Wished I still had them. :rolleyes:  :D

Would they still fit Jim :D

Guest Jim Blanchard

Example as previously mentioned. Peter Moore and Ron Johnston in said Swedish leathers and PC in his with no padding on the joints and steel shoe on right boot.

Here

Example as previously mentioned. Peter Moore and Ron Johnston in said Swedish leathers

And both with cigarette in hand...!

As everyone knows with PC he wore his jimmyjams underneath them and the legs out side his wee lace up boots. PC also use to have half of a steel shoe on the front of his right boot too.

I didn't know about PC's pyjamas, but Bert Harkins caused quite a stir one wet night at Old Meadowbank when he appeared in the second half wearing pyjamas OVER his leathers (to keep the leathers clean, apparently).

Jim, any idea why PC wore that half shoe on his right boot? (Now we'll see whether you're a real anorak or not!)