British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Andy Smith Testimonial

Its not a farewell meeting, its a testimonial

Yeah i know.Just stating that i hope to get a chance to see him again before he finally calls it a day :)

3 times British Champion is testament to how good Andy was in his prime. Can't think of any other Brits to manage it (sure I'll be corrected on that one).

All the smudge...see you in September

Mark Loram has also won it three times and, in the days when it was open to Australians and New Zealanders, Barry Briggs won it 6 times and Ivan Mauger 4.

Look at the company that puts Smudger in though - three World Champions.

Mark Loram has also won it three times and, in the days when it was open to Australians and New Zealanders, Barry Briggs won it 6 times and Ivan Mauger 4.

Look at the company that puts Smudger in though - three World Champions.

Not bad company to keep is it. What was Andy's pre GP World Final record. As far I can recall I only remember him riding at Munich in 89 when he finished on 10 points (I think) and Pocking in 1993 and can't remember what he scored there.

Would seem Smudger enjoyed riding in Germany then????

You should see the Belle Vue 2005 Review DVD and count the number of times Smudger performs the cut back on turn 2......surprising nobody cottoned on to it. None of them come close to his double pass on Janniro and Kylmakorpi in last seasons EL Play Off Final....absolute class....if anyone didn't see it grab a copy of it. That was Smudger and Speedway at it's best.

They were Andy Smith's only two pre-Grand prix World Final appearances. He scored 10 in both. He came 7th in Munich and 5th in Pocking.

One of my first recollections of Andy was when he was wearing a Newcastle Diamonds race jacket in a challenge match at Belle Vue. Although Newcastle were going off the tapes and Belle Vue from ten yards behind Smithy, in one heat, kept in front of P.C. and Mort. No mean fete even though it was pouring down with rain. Andy was obviously delighted. (Yes current day riders, your predecessors actually rode in the rain!). :approve:

Meeting date as per the official Belle Vue website is 17th September. Can't wait for this one. Any supporters from Andy's other british clubs coming to this one? Anyone know the line up?

The lineup has been confirmed for Foxy's Fun Day at Belle Vue, Sunday 17th September, 4pm start.

Jason Crump

Greg Hancock

Mark Loram

Billy Hamill

Simon Stead

Charlie Gjedde

Travis McGowan

Steve Johnston

Gary Havelock

Billy Janniro

James Wright

Oliver Allen

Richard Hall

Rusty Harrison

Ricky Ashworth

Tai Woffinden

Guest PanthersChamp06

Good chance for Richard to proove his current stunning form.

Notice the one big name missing from the line-up ? That's right - Andy Smith. He was on centre green at Belle Vue on Monday. Sure he said he'd fractured a vertebrae in his back ? At least that's what I thought he said. Gutted won't see him riding, but I'll be there anyway. Hopefully we will see him racing back in an Aces jacket next season. Great line-up. A good mixture of young & old & all good racers. Should be top racing & a great day.

Yes I think he said he will be out for the rest of the season.

If Smudge is out for the rest of the season, would it not be a perfect way to retire?

I don't really know how smudge is doing fitness wise (his points seem ok) but it would be sad for Andy to go out on a sour note.

Anyway Smudge i'll see you on the sideboards sometime in Oz again, all the best with the testy. ;)