British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

referee at Cardiff?

I forget his name (was it Mick Posselwhite?) but I have to say I thought the ref was very poor at the GP. In my opinion, he got the incidents involving Gollob, Pedersen (the first one) and Rickardson/Jonsson wrong.

Gollob's was a classic case of first bend bunching. There was contact but Gollob did not ride his opponent into the fence at all.

Nicki P slipped of very tamely when Crumpie got the jump on him and was lucky to get all four back.

Worst of the lot though was the Tony Rickardson/Andreas Jonsson incident. Having missed out to Nicholls and Hancock on the first turn , Tony tried to cut back up the straight, but ran into the back on Jonsson. He was going for a gap that simply wasn't there.

Jonsson had merely negotiated the corner, nothing more and Tony speared into him. How that is Andreas's fault is beyond me. :roll:

Totally agree Thomas was robbed by a pathetic dive from his opponent, and Tony should have been sent packing for an unrealistic passing attempt

Referee was shocking.

Mind you my beer goggles were at full strength

Are there any good refs these days. Do feel however with these dreadful 'man made' tracks there is perhaps a case for all four back at any stage of the race, when no definite decision can be decided as to cause of stoppage, expecially when the track surface can have played a part. It is all very well looking at video rerun, but that does not necessarily produce the true story eiither. You only have to look at the Greg Hancock/Leigh Adams incident in Avesta. One shot might lead you to believe Greg was at fault, but if you follow the shots from when it started, Leigh was clearly to blame

I haven't yet watced a meeting with Posselwhite as ref where he hasn't got at least one decision completely wrong. Why do they give him GPs - he isn't up to it.

Hats off to Andreas Jonsson for a very mature response to a shocking decision.

Are there any good refs these days. Do feel however with these dreadful 'man made' tracks there is perhaps a case for all four back at any stage of the race, when no definite decision can be decided as to cause of stoppage, expecially when the track surface can have played a part. It is all very well looking at video rerun, but that does not necessarily produce the true story eiither

Entirely agree GREDON !!

I do try defending the rulebook when the missus questions a decision but I fail miserably to put together a case for this' someone must be excluded' rule. ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN...........especially on the newly ploughed meadow that the boys were supposed to race on on Saturday. You have riders moving out to avoid the ruts, others moving in to get back on the racing line.........who's fault's that?

I took me binos in and saw a huge pile of dirt the marshal on the 4th bend raked in disappear down a trench that anywhere else would have cones round it. He gave up after that leaving Scotty to pack it down for him.

Grrrrrrrrrr :x :x :x

Can't agree that the track was like a newly ploughed meadow Mylor. Apart from the inside of the 4th turn - which cut up late on in the meeting - the track was pretty smooth.

It was much smoother than last year. But because of that, it was also easier to ride. Therefore there was less mistakes and less overtaking. I think on a ploughed field you would see far more mistakes than were made on Saturday.

The Golob and AJ exclusions were extremely poor decisions, especially considering the technology available to the referee. Both riders were deprived of the chance of higher point scores as a result.

They could both have been understandable errors, if he had not had the benefit of video replays. Whilst both incidents from ceratin angles could have been interpreted as Tomaz and AJ at fault, when seen from other angles they were both pure racing incidents, although Rickardson should have been excluded in his accident.

I think the referee rushed his decisions under pressure. If they are to use video technology, then they should utilise every possible camera angle available before making a decision.

As far as the ref goes he got the AJ/TR decision right IMO....

However he got the gollob one wrong and he got the pedersen crump one wrong too, nikci tried to cut across crump when he wasnt far enough ahead and fell off, as cause of the stoppage he should have been excluded.

This one will be argued over forever and a day :!: Watching the first replay I would have said that TR went off on his own, but then watching from another camera angle..AJ seemed to slightly (and it was a cigarette paper incident) connect with TR. Having said that I would not have excluded AJ for that one, modern technology has a lot to answer for, a ref's decision in days gone by was his decision and his alone no camera replays back then :roll: Right or wrong the ref made a decision and his word his final, either way he would have got a roasting wouldn't he :?: be honest :!:

Hypothetically..... if this had been a Brit and AJ who would you have backed :roll:

This one will be argued over forever and a day :!: Watching the first replay I would have said that TR went off on his own, but then watching from another camera angle..AJ seemed to slightly (and it was a cigarette paper incident) connect with TR. Having said that I would not have excluded AJ for that one, modern technology has a lot to answer for, a ref's decision in days gone by was his decision and his alone no camera replays back then :roll: Right or wrong the ref made a decision and his word his final, either way he would have got a roasting wouldn't he :?: be honest :!:

Hypothetically..... if this had been a Brit and AJ who would you have backed :roll:

There was definitely contact, but AJ was merely riding the corner when TR cut back and went into the back of him. It wasn't anybody's fault as such - TR just misjudged the situation.

Some people will find this a controversial comment, but did anyone else think that TR let go of the Handlebars incredibly early, rather than trying to regain control ?. Have a look at the slow motion from the rear view and see what you think.

Guest stevem

just wanted to add my comments to a night where the brits were stiched up - 2 times three brits in one heat! And as for the refereeing - well shouldnt there be an argument for a non national ref to take control - at least this way he can have some of the pressure put back on him!

Poor exclusions most of the time except for Scotty - surprised he didnt exclude NP for cutting across the racing line!

Some people will find this a controversial comment, but did anyone else think that TR let go of the Handlebars incredibly early, rather than trying to regain control ?.

Er... excuse me please, what are you saying here? That the number one rider who is 5 times a world champion bailed out too early? Me thinks he knows best or are you suggesting he had a 'hidden agenda' for not being part of the bike when it hit something solid :roll:

And of all the forum members that could find it controversial jblanch69, it was you :!: .

Just because Tricky is the numer one (although that might change after another 6 G.P.'s), just because he is a 5 times world champion, does NOT mean he is perfect. He might THINK he knows best (like he did when he assured Middlo he could get a result in heat 15 on monday) but the guy like you and i is only a human being and therefore can make mistakes.

Contrary to your typically sarcastic 'hidden agenda' comment i did not suggest anything, i merely mentioned what i saw in the slo-mo replay and asked if anyone else had seen him let the bars go early.

"Let Go Early" He was at 90' to the fence at 60mph with no possibility of avoiding hitting it, when do you think he should have baled out.

No offence mean't jblanch69, i forgot the :P after the 1st line, my apologies.

I guess i see this in a different way to you and jeff but imho i think he could have held on and the fact that after the earlier tape breaking and the fact that at the time of the incident he was 4th coming out of turn 2 ?.

Oh well, as you say, forums are for our opinions.

For what it's worth i do actually think Tony is a great rider and a true gentleman of the sport.

TCC