British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Website Updates

Just letting you know that I have finally got the new page (Addendum) up and running on my website :

My Webpage

Hope you find it interesting (as well as moving)

Steve

Just had a look at the site - great work and a fitting tribute to the riders giving their life for the sport we all love.

I didn't know Craig Hodgson had died - remember him riding for Bradford for a while and he was a promising rider so was sad to see this. Also didn't really see much of Mark Steel as he only rode for a short period but shocked to see the story of his disappearance.

Biggs, Craven, Carter, Charles, Farndon, Lofqvist, Sanders and Wigg would have made quite some team and it's a shame to see them listed for a variety of reasons.

Keep up the good work and let's hope there are no new names to add for a while.

Steve

I am not sure Sergio Rojas. I think should be Claudio Rojas, who rode in Argentinian Championship from 1992 to 1994 and he also rode in German Championships 1994. Maybe I am in mistake.

Look at http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/zawodnik.ph...&nazwisko=Rojas

Great site, Steve. Excellent. Well done.

I notice you don't have the full date for Frank Charles' death. It was 15 July 1939.

Edited by norbold

Steve

I am not sure Sergio Rojas. I think should be Claudio Rojas, who rode in Argentinian Championship from 1992 to 1994 and he also rode in German Championships 1994. Maybe I am in mistake.

Look at http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/zawodnik.ph...&nazwisko=Rojas

Thanks for your input, Puma. However, I was given the details by Maurizio Balducci, seemingly an expert on Argentinian speedway.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Great site, Steve. Excellent. Well done.

I notice you don't have the full date for Frank Charles death. It was 15 July 1939.

Thanks for your kind words, norbold. Also, thanks for the info on Frank Charles. If you (or anyone else) can fill in any of the other blanks, I would greatly appreciate it.

Steve

After taking a look at Your list, please take the name of Wack (real name: Josef) Hofmeister off it. Wack - this is only a nickname - was Germany's first world finalist in the late 50's is still alive and well today and let's hope he will be around for a lot more years.

See the name of Josef Kamper. he had a fatal car accident on the road in the mid-1980's, long after he had finished his racing career.

If You include his name, You may as well add that of another Austrian, Josef "Bubi" Boessner, who met with a similar fate in September of last year, at the age of 71. At the time, the former Austrian national speedway champion was still active as a speedway promoter.

Russian Ice racer Nikolai Nischenko - a former world champion - was tragically killed in a demonstartion ride on the ice oval track at Heerenveen in the Netherlands in 1993, when he was doing some show laps for a photographer to take some promotional pictures. Very tragic and totally unneccessary.

German veteran Josef Seidl should not be on the list. As far as I know he died a natural death at a high age (well into his 80's some ten years ago. (Not 100% sure, though)

Hans Siegl died a few days after crashing at a meeting in Linz, Austria. That's true, but it was a speedway meeting, not long-track.

Chunky sorry for my mistake !!

Romanian speedway rider Eugen Botezatu died after an accident on the speedway track; he was in the hospital for a long period after the accident.

But I do not know when and where :/

Since several years FRM have organized Eugen Botezatu Memorial.

Regards

Thanks for the info Bavarian, I really appreciate it. Having been unable to find information on certain riders, I had wondered about the accuracy of some of the information I had collected. I am only too happy to remove them.

I was informed of the tragic circumstances of Nikolai Nischenko's death, but I have been trying to get a correct date.

Steve

Look at also http://www.frm.ro/new/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?8

Eugen Botezatu have an accident in Sibiu.

Not only did I find this moving, I was saddended to see Peter Byrne's name on the list. Am I right in thinking this is the same Peter that rode at Milton Keynes before their demise? If so, I remember helping him on occasions in the pits at Elfield Park. He got his chance in the first team as he was a great gater who, when the chance arose, managed to humble some of the quickest guys of the day.