British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Website Updates

Am I right in thinking this is the same Peter that rode at Milton Keynes before their demise?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that, but I did wonder the same thing. Maybe if Ross Garrigan reads this, he can tell us. If not, I'll drop him an email.

Steve

Although it's not nice, it is in a way as Graham Banks name was in the tribute.

Was a sad day for our family Graham was my Uncles best friend a fitting tribute was when they had a memorial trophy for him at Canterbury Speedway Uncle Ted won it, this also pleased his family, parents Monty, Joan and of course his brother Trevor :approve:

Thanks, shazzybird, although it's a website that we'd all rather not have. It's so easy for us to forget people, and I really don't want that to happen. It seems strange that Graham has been gone for 28 years this year.

Steve

SHIRLEY, Stuart (Ellesmere Port & England).............................December 3, 1977.............Ellesmere Port

Wow brings back a sad memory. I used to pit with Stuart and was there on that day at the Ellesmere Port Training School. Stuart was a very good rider. Terrible day.

This is a new one to me and sad reading.

I recently saw a 1980s video profile of Briggo and he went to a museum which had a plaque with a list - but I cannot remember where it was - maybe Aus.

Anyone else seen this vid and remember it? Might be useful.

Anyway - site added to the SYP here:

HERE

Chunky, Please check description is ok. I edited some text from the site.

ST

This is a new one to me and sad reading.

I recently saw a 1980s video profile of Briggo and he went to a museum which had a plaque with a list - but I cannot remember where it was - maybe Aus.

Anyone else seen this vid and remember it? Might be useful.

Anyway - site added to the SYP here:

HERE

Chunky, Please check description is ok. I edited some text from the site.

ST

Thanks for that, ST. Also, the Briggo video you saw was undoubtedly "Barry Briggs:Profile Of A Legend" from the "Champions" series issued by Duke in the early to mi-90's. The footage was from the speedway Hall of Fame which was at Donington Park. Unfornately, it closed down several years ago, but I am pleased to say that I did manage to visit (on a trip to Long Eaton) before its closure.

Steve

Not only did I find this moving, I was saddended to see Peter Byrne's name on the list. Am I right in thinking this is the same Peter that rode at Milton Keynes before their demise? If so, I remember helping him on occasions in the pits at Elfield Park. He got his chance in the first team as he was a great gater who, when the chance arose, managed to humble some of the quickest guys of the day.

Peter was an unforgetable person. Yes he did visit the UK, it would have been about 15 years ago. He was tall, thin, fair-haired, and a real dynamo of a character - he just couldn't sit still.

He suffered in later years on the tracks in my area due to suspect machinery, but he loved his racing.

He had retired from speedway but just couldn't stay away from it, and got involved again a few years back. He died following a crash on his road bike. His family and friends were devastated. He left a devoted wife and young child.

If my memory is correct, Peter won an individual meeting in England.

Edited by Ross Garrigan

Peter was an unforgetable person. Yes he did visit the UK, it would have been about 15 years ago. He was tall, thin, fair-haired, and a real dynamo of a character - he just couldn't sit still.

Thanks for that, Ross.

Steve

Thanks for that, Ross.

Steve

I checked and Peter was in England in 1990. He had some outings for Milton Keynes.

Peter also did some sidecar racing on our local tracks as a passenger. He always stood out in his black and yellow racing gear.

I have one vivid memory of Peter coming around turn 4 at Labrador aboard his solo and losing control. He always wanted to go that little bit faster. His bike turned a complete 180 degrees and Peter was left facing the oncoming field. It was "hearts in the mouth" stuff for those watching.

Thanks for confirming what I feared Ross. Your description of Peter exactly matches my memory of him, right down to the machinery! I also have one of those "hearts in mouths" memory's; Peter's front forks snapped as he came out of a bend while leading a race at Elfield Park. Peter was flung over the handlebars and left in an uncomfortable pile in the middle of the track with 3 other riders having to quickly find a way around him. He was still grinning and joking about his acrobatic dismount as we walked off the track, despite the pain of a broken collar bone.

I'm afraid I can't offer any help with details of an individual meeting win, sorry.

Although it's not nice, it is in a way as Graham Banks name was in the tribute.

Was a sad day for our family Graham was my Uncles best friend a fitting tribute was when they had a memorial trophy for him at Canterbury Speedway Uncle Ted won it, this also pleased his family, parents Monty, Joan and of course his brother Trevor  :approve:

I can still see our championship winning team in 1978 parading around the track on the back of a lorry with Graham's bike - what a mixture of emotions.

congratulations Steve on compiling something unique. I know how much time my own site took to put together. You must have spent a lot of time on the listing and it is something we will go back to again.

Edited by dantodan

chunky,i have found you on this forum,your website is good ,and its great those people are remembered

i have heard alot of great stories about craig featherby,he was a brilliant chap and a character, i play darts with his best m8 steve mullins(thats les mullins son,the mechanic of the great ove fundin)

great forum people,the first rider i remember as a kid was chris louis,so not really years gone by,but im only 22 !!!!,,,, cheers

craig .norwich

Just had a look at the site - great work and a fitting tribute to the riders giving their life for the sport we all love.

I didn't know Craig Hodgson had died - remember him riding for Bradford for a while and he was a promising rider so was sad to see this.  Also didn't really see much of Mark Steel as he only rode for a short period but shocked to see the story of his disappearance.

Biggs, Craven, Carter, Charles, Farndon, Lofqvist, Sanders and Wigg would have made quite some team and it's a shame to see them listed for a variety of reasons.

Keep up the good work and let's hope there are no new names to add for a while.

Just browsing as you do at 1.00 am in the morning and came across this thread, was suprised to see that Craig Hodgson is no longer with us, could anyone let me know what happened to Craig and how long ago did this happen? thanks in advance

I thought it was the late 90's, double-checking on the site it was 1998. I think he committed suicide.

Didn't Stuart Shirley come from Sheffield? I know he did second halves there.