British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

Because people are posting similar things on both Chris, in fact there's now 5 threads about these 6 races  :blink:

It's best to leave it all on one thread, and we'll have to leave this one open so that all these riders can get in touch with Steve  :)

Thanks for the reply .Much appreciated.

Because people are posting similar things on both Chris, in fact there's now 5 threads about these 6 races  :blink:

It's best to leave it all on one thread, and we'll have to leave this one open so that all these riders can get in touch with Steve  :)

Think most of them are already half the way to Poland by now .

Well, what a farce.

WHY oh WHY was that meeting abandoned??????? The Poole track staff had done a sterling job and there was nothing wrong with the track.

Unfortunately, we had a weak referee who allowed himself by bullied by the riders and Sky Sports. He should have stood up to him and told them that the meeting goes ahead.

Had Frank Edbon been referee, this meeting would have never been abandoned. On Friday, we had a situation at Oxford where the track had been hit by a torrential shower and taken LOT of rain, probably far more than the Poole track took today, where it rarely more than drizzled.

However, Mr. Ebdon stood firm and the meeting went ahead at Oxford and, by the end of the meeting, the track was producing some super racing. Today the same have the meeting continued. We may have had a couple of races where the riders would have had to have sensible, but it was the Elite of the Elite out there today and they shouldn't have proved an obstacle. By the end of the meeting, it would have been top class racing.

Feel some sympathy for the Poole management, who get a lot of stick over this, even though they are blameless.

All the best

Rob

Well he would say that wouldn't he.

Yes the Cowley track on Friday was far worse that the track at Poole today, but it was a long way from raceable - but that's another story.

No sorry what I meant was he said todays track was completely raceable, and they raced on Friday in far worse track conditions.

I think come Cardiff they had best not water the track or some characters will be throwing teddy out of the cot.

Works in theory Steve. I'll bet you this weeks forum pound that Steve won't get a single reply from one of the ELRC riders though.

Steve,

Yes, although my point was that Oxford had taken a lot more rain, was therefore in worse condition, and yet the track at Oxford was still raceable.

So Poole today shouldn't have been a problem at all. And it wouldn't have been, had the referee been stronger.

All the best

Rob

Brilliant ! :lol:

After I got back from Buxton speedway I first saw the referee with Matt Ford. I soon reliased what was going on. The track did look fit to ride and the referee even said that. However, how I looked at it was the senior riders that 'gave up'. In a meeting on the centre green I saw mainly one rider that were leading the argument, Chris Louis. However I was most shocked at how easily the riders gave up when it started 'spitting'. The most disapointing rider was Kasprzak as he was the first rider to take of his helmet amd walk back to his bike. It seemed very clear that many riders had poland and gps on their mind. :angry::angry:

I think it was Kelvin Tatum who summed it up when he said British Speedway needs an Ole Olsen like figure to make decisions in times like this. Jason Crump seems to think what he says goes............ and it seemed that way today........... no rider is bigger than the sport and Jason Crump is most certainly not.

In a meeting on the centre green I saw mainly one rider that were leading the argument, Chris Louis.

Actually Chris Louis was telling the ref that he felt for the sake of the people watching they should get on with it. I think it was a few of the GP riders that were the main problem.

If the ref says ride then ride,not happy ,licence witheld for 6 matches.Soon start riding unless their sponsors bail them out which would happen.So withold it for 12 or 15 .Sponsors wouldn,t be happy then.

Great post Steve, cant help but feel had this been the PLRC then the riders would more than likely rolled up their sleeves and got on with it unlike these so called worlds top riders. Surely if your the one of the worlds top riders you can adapt to the different conditions and still be able to race.

British Elite League Speedway, the worlds top riders, the worlds top racing, oh just so long as it's dry, sunny and an A1 track in tip top DRY conditions :mad:

If anyone needs any real evidence thena look at the heat times tells you all you need to know.

Average quick time on a dry track - 59-60 secs

Times from Coventry match with wet track 63-64 secs

Times today 60 secs

Thanks GP 'stars'. Whats the chances of any of you rather better off than me superstars sending me back the fifty quid that today has cost me? :mad: