British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robpeasley

Rickardsson - How Does He Get A Farewell Meeting?

How does a rider who I can see how only ever completed 7 seasons of racing in Britain qualify for a farewell meeting?

Here's the facts:

1991-1993 Rickardsson rides for Ipswich

1994 Rickardsson only does 2 meetings at start of season for Ippo

1997 Rickardsson having not won a GP for three years decides it's time to ride in Britain again. He riders for Ipswich in the closing stages of the season

1998 Rickardsson does his first full season in British Speedway for 5 years - and wins his second World Title

1999 Rickardsson riders for King's Lynn, but fails to complete the whole season, with a suspension over his head over a non-appearance at the ELRC

2000 Rickardsson missing from Britain - and misses out on winning third GP series in a row

2001-2003 Rickardsson does three full years for Poole

2004 Rickardsson does a month at Poole, before leaving them high & dry (fortunately, Sullivan is around, otherwise Poole would been in the rubbish)

2005 & 2006 Short spells at Arena & Oxford before the GP gets into full swing

So, by my reckoning that's seven full seasons (1991-1993, 1998, 2001-2003). So how come Rickardsson qualifies for a farewell meeting?

And given his general attitude to British Speedway (at least fourth in his list of priorities, and about level with his commitment to riding for the Swedish national team!), it's even more puzzling.

I would suggest a boycott of this meeting, so Rickardsson is left in no doubt how the fans feel of the disgaceful way he has treated British Speedway over the years.

All the best

Rob

Not sure who would really go anyway. Where would the meeting be held !?!?

If you look at other British riders as a rule in general :

Loram last British World Champion in 2000 , adored by speedway fans for his racing style and never say die attitude. Poole, Ipswich and Eastbourne fans would all agree.

Norris a character on and off the track and loved by the Arlington faithful. Now appealing to a wider based fan through his efforts for Team GB and Sky commentary.

Joe Screen - Racing style , wheelie king. Liked by Eastbourne and Belle Vue.

Barker - Not my cup of tea but in general well liked at Eastbourne and had been a regular member of the team.

Nicholls - BSI and Sky favourite. Gives his all and liked by Poole, Ipswich and Coventry fans ....

Richardson although has ridden at numerous clubs does not seem to have the same appeal. To the wider speedway fraternity.

Hackett......It is a farewell meeting not a testimonial and it's already arranged to be held at Poole in July. (23rd is it?)

There are enough Poole fans who think the sun shines out of T.R's backside to fill the Wimborne Road Stadium on their own. :lol: So if all the rest of us boycott the meeting I'm afraid it won't really make much difference to Tony pocketing a nice little pay packet. :wink:

Edited by Gemini

How does a rider who I can see how only ever completed 7 seasons of racing in Britain qualify for a farewell meeting?

er, probably because he's saying farewell to Britain :unsure::rolleyes::wink:

edit: i presume he won't come back ala Boomerang Wiltshire ;)

Edited by King Jamie

Here's the facts:

1991-1993 Rickardsson rides for Ipswich

1994 Rickardsson only does 2 meetings at start of season for Ippo

1997 Rickardsson having not won a GP for three years decides it's time to ride in Britain again.  He riders for Ipswich in the closing stages of the season

1998 Rickardsson does his first full season in British Speedway for 5 years - and wins his second World Title

1999 Rickardsson riders for King's Lynn, but fails to complete the whole season, with a suspension over his head over a non-appearance at the ELRC

2000 Rickardsson missing from Britain - and misses out on winning third GP series in a row

2001-2003 Rickardsson does three full years for Poole

2004 Rickardsson does a month at Poole, before leaving them high & dry (fortunately, Sullivan is around, otherwise Poole would been in the rubbish)

2005 & 2006 Short spells at Arena & Oxford before the GP gets into full swing

So, by my reckoning that's seven full seasons (1991-1993, 1998, 2001-2003).  So how come Rickardsson qualifies for a farewell meeting?

And given his general attitude to British Speedway (at least fourth in his list of priorities, and about level with his commitment to riding for the Swedish national team!), it's even more puzzling.

I would suggest a boycott of this meeting, so Rickardsson is left in no doubt how the fans feel of the disgaceful way he has treated British Speedway over the years.

All the best

Rob

Regardless whether he has treated this as a fourth priority, he has ridden he since 91 and has been consistently the greatest rider of the last 10 years and in every match and race he has rode in, I have always seen the guy give 100%.

Hes a worthy champion and a good ambassador, but hes a horrible team rider but I think a lot of Poole fans will go to his farewell since his time at the club he averaged around 10 and won the World Championship twice.

Regardless whether he has treated this as a fourth priority, he has ridden he since 91 and has been consistently the greatest rider of the last 10 years and in every match and race he has rode in, I have always seen the guy give 100%.

Hes a worthy champion and a good ambassador, but hes a horrible team rider but I think a lot of Poole fans will go to his farewell since his time at the club he averaged around 10 and won the World Championship twice.

Basically you are saying Poole fans can't see past their town boundaries and they ignore the bigger picture. Exactly what has Tony R done to benefit BRITISH speedway?

As a King's Lynn fan, wild horses would not drag me to any meeting celebrating/benefiting Tony Rickardsson. I didn't like him before he signed for us as I always thought him a selfish, standoffish sort of rider, nothing changed when he rode for us and he's done nothing to change my mind since. For once Rob P has it spot on.

Basically you are saying Poole fans can't see past their town boundaries and they ignore the bigger picture. Exactly what has Tony R done to benefit BRITISH speedway?

As a King's Lynn fan, wild horses would not drag me to any meeting celebrating/benefiting Tony Rickardsson. I didn't like him before he signed for us as I always thought him a selfish, standoffish sort of rider, nothing changed when he rode for us and he's done nothing to change my mind since. For once Rob P has it spot on.

True. Maybe it should just be a farewell from Poole instead of British Speedway then.

Yeah, fancy putting on a Speedway event that might attract a half decent crowd. If bitter Oxford fans want to give this meeting a miss, then it's up to them. I probably shan't go myself for that matter.

Personally, I think Rickardsson should be in prison right now for the most heinous crime of not devoting is entire life completely to Oxford Speedway.

Maybe it should just be a farewell from Poole instead of British Speedway then.

It'll probably end up that way anyhow!

er, probably because he's saying farewell to Britain :unsure:  :rolleyes:  :wink:

edit: i presume he won't come back ala Boomerang Wiltshire ;)

I was going to make exactly the same reply before I read yours KJ.

He gets a farewell meeting because he's saying "farewell"...It's not a testimonial where you have to have ridden for 10 years, or an anniversary meeting, it's a farewell meeting.

Seeing as how old boomerang has been brought up, I would imagine that the number of meetings that he and TRick have raced in over here is probably fairly close, as Todd only did 8 or 9 seasons over here before his supposed farewell.

If Rob had asked such a question at the start of the season, just after Oxford's big announcement of TRick's return to the EL, then it might have been worth taking more seriously. With it appearing at a time where him and his Oxford cronies have taken a huff with Tony, and are rubbishing him at every opportunity, it just cannot be taken seriously.

Tony is one of the all time greats in speedway history, and I see no reason why he shouldn't have a farewell meeting over here if he wants.

Get a life Rob Peahead. Your constant snipes at the greatest rider ever are pathetic and the reason why Oxford fans are not getting any sympathy. Some of the rubbish they have been spouting about Trick has been laughable.

If you want to blame someone for your pathetic start to the season then look at a certain rider in your team at the moment.

Tony will go down as the greatest Rob and that gets under your skin. Get over it. His time at Oxford will be an irrelevance to all but a few like you when looking back on his career.

Edited by Chris