British Speedway Forum

Frigbo,

It's a consolidaton year - but next year we'll kick your asses :D :D

And remind me, have many trophies super-ambitious Swindon have won this year.  One less than Oxford I think you will find :D

All the best

Rob

I assume you mean the woodden spoon?? :)

Rob P, BV won the final fair and square, nothing wrong with that. The gripe, and general consensus from fans from other clubs, and putting aside personal insults aimed in my direction, is that they shouldn't have been in the final in the first place.

I watched the meeting with my finger on the fast forward, and when Poole came to tapes in the final heat I thought, second and third are good enough here, and was shocked to discover that what should have been common sense yet again has been blown out of the water.

Steve,

As daft as the rules were, they were printed on the centre pages of the programme.

Lindback clearly knew he needed to win Heat 25, the way he was desperate to pass Kylmakorpi, so he knew the score.

I would doubt if the Poole promotion have much of a gripe - and it may be Mr. Ford who wrote the tie-break rules in the first place.

So stop the sour grapes. You're going to have to get used to losing this week, as we're going to turn you over home and away!!

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Just watched it on timeslip as I had visitors around.

All I can say is that this tournament sucks C*ck big time. What an absilutely disgracefully stupid rule, that Pirates didn't go through to the final because of the way some idiot designed the rules. Poole finish level with BV, so common sonse would say, what was the rsult when the two clubs met.

Poole won. So Poole go through. Easy eh? No hold on a minute. Thats too easy! We will go with race winners! What the f*ck? Sorry but Poole should have been in the final, and looking at it would probably have won beating Ulamek.

You mean the same countback rules that are also used in every GP ? I don't hear anyone moaning about them then !

The point is Derwent that in the GP it is an INDIVIDUAL event so the count back rule makes sense! In a PAIRS event the most obvious way to decide who goes through is to look at what happened when those two teams met!

And Rob - no one is arguing that the rules weren't known beforehand - the rule is just STUPID! :P

If Poole would have got through, won the meeting and been crowned Pairs Champions 2006 Shovler would be singing from a different hymn sheet.

He would have been saying what a fantastic event it is, how sorry he couldn't be there because he had a prior engagement he couldn't get out of, how fantastic the Pirates are and how this is the first trophy of many this year.

Instead we have to put up with how hard done by Poole are blah blah blah blah............

Get over it!

Well done Belle Vue.

No doubt the majority of Speedway folk on here sat wanting Poole out anyway, so happy days are here again.

yeah, that was a total joke, plus no champagne, talk about making our sport look cheap

'Spect the champers was under the table (sorry - podium), just in case Swindon won !

Sometimes it just winds me up that people are so busy having a go at Shovlar that this superceeds all logic and sense! I don't give a monkey's whether it was Poole, Wolves or even Coventry who were sent out of the final by this rule... the fact remains that the rule is a pathetic way to decide a TEAM event!

Never mind people 'moving on' as someone suggested earlier - it's about time people forgot about Shovlar and saw the real issue here! :rolleyes::angry:

I thought it looked like Wallpaper table Poole use as there track shop.

Gosh well done. That must have taken all of thirty seconds to think up.

If its cheap digs your after then at least we don't have the threat of a new housing estate being built on our track the next time the BSPA upset our promotors.

I do think it's about time that this competition was run on a neutral track, it's pathetic the home advantage given to Swindon ( oh I know that they didn't win this year, but it was a forgone conclusion that they would be in the final).

Well to be honest i found the whole meeting so boring i went to play with the neighbours cat with a ball in the garden :D To be honest i only missed a couple of heats. I came back in for the last qualifying heat and the final. As they were stumbling over themselves re the countback system i too was amazed that it came down to race wins in a pairs event when all along it was more important to finish 2nd and 3rd ! Baffling logic. Why not head to head ? But then i thought, what if 3 pairs end up tied ??? How do you work it out by head to head then ? So it seems the ' most heat wins then 2nds as per individual meetings ' is the easiest way to do it. Doesn't sit right with me though. To be honest i think the best solution is to scrap the event. It's a nothing meeting anyway. Glad Belle Vue won the final though, and not another home team event win.

Sometimes it just winds me up that people are so busy having a go at Shovlar that this superceeds all logic and sense!  I don't give a monkey's whether it was Poole, Wolves or even Coventry who were sent out of the final by this rule... the fact remains that the rule is a pathetic way to decide a TEAM event! 

Never mind people 'moving on' as someone suggested earlier - it's about time people forgot about Shovlar and saw the real issue here!  :rolleyes:  :angry:

I agree, its a Pathetic way to decide a tie on points.

My view is that a run off, in GP as well as these circumstances, should be done between nominated riders just like in the old days. What does it matter how you arrived at your total, if both are equal they deserve the chance to have a go at the next stage.

I remember at Bradford years ago in the Intercontinental Final, I think, the powers that be having to sort out a six man run for final qualifying positions. Six all tied on points, and a series of run offs was determined for the last places available.

Gosh well done. That must have taken all of thirty seconds to think up.

If its cheap digs your after then at least we don't have the threat of a new housing estate being built on our track the next time the BSPA upset our promotors.

I don't think it was even 30 seconds Paul. I said it as soon as saw it on TV.

But your site at Winyawn Road would make Prime Real estate though, and my new homes department would pay top dollar for it. :P

Next time you don't pay the rent I may get em to take a look.