British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Nights

Ashworth Over Looked Why ?

Howe-well out of form

Kennett-Midlo,s favourite

Bird-Very hot and cold

Here we have 3 riders in the GB squad that for me at least one of them should be replaced by Sheffields Ricky Ashworth

WHY ????????????

This is a very proffesional well equiped YOUNG BRITISH RIDER who i feel is getting over looked for what ever resaon maybe he,s too far north to be in the click, he has took over the#1 mantle at Sheffield with great sucsess is unbeatable at home had a massive improvment away from home qualifys for his 1st GB final and scores 5 from 2 starts including a impressive win over Simon Stead in his own back yard yet we keep picking the same old names who fail to impress time and time again (Midlos Favorites) ok he may have not made the last 5 but wheres the encouragement or recognition for the massive steps forward this lad has made in a very short time in the sport in just under 5 years has gone from #7 to be an out and out #1 been in the squad would have only helped his progression gained him valuble experience and helped make that next step up to this level lets face it we dont seem to be blessed with instant replacements once the obvious candidates start to drift away lets get this lad in the loop and help bring out the talent that is there for everybody to see.

What does it matter none of them are going to get picked anyway!!!

Ricky made the decision for Middlo when he decided to drop back to the PL this year and not come up to the EL full-time. Middlo has always said he'll pick the lads who show ambition - afraid Ricky has shown he'd rather earn easy money in the PL than mix it in the top league like Allen and Bridger to name but two - so why should he get a look in when they haven't. He had his chance to do that this year...

Harsh but true I'm afraid. As long as he stays down in the PL he won't get a look in - especially when other English lads are taking the chance to further their careers. And no... I'd not have picked Kennett on current form either but would have gone for Olly Allen. But like Rob says, it's not like they're going to get a ride tbh.

Because Ashworth isn't much good :rolleyes:

Maybe Middlo thinks Ricky lacks ambition and prefers the steady plod through the season? Not wanting to 'overdo' it for a single meeting/event?

Middlo has always said he'll pick the lads who show ambition
Going into the EL doesnt show ambition i'm afraid looking at the dross that most teams have below heatleader atm. Riding in top league in Sweden or Poland are the toughest assignments atm, maybe why so many riders keep their best bikes for those leagues.

Plus ashworth would get blown away in a stronger league as he is just a tin pot gater away from sheffield.

Edited by Dekker

At the moment we only have nicholls , loram , stead and at a push richardson and harris who can compete at world cup level . Ricky ashworth is a decent enough premier league heat leader , but a long way short of being able to compete at international level .

Because Ashworth isn't much good :rolleyes:
I don't belive you, he spent last seaosn at Poole, he must be good. :o

An off form Howe, a "down" Bird (not to mention an "up" Bird) and Kennett are all better than Ashworth on a good day.

Ricky made the decision for Middlo when he decided to drop back to the PL this year and not come up to the EL full-time. Middlo has always said he'll pick the lads who show ambition - afraid Ricky has shown he'd rather earn easy money in the PL than mix it in the top league .......As long as he stays down in the PL he won't get a look in.......

Now that is interesting especially as Gary Havelock chose to go PL this year and hasn't Middlo called Havvy in to the squad. So team GB are looking to the past rather than the future are they not :blink:

I think what is rather harsh is saying when young rider finds it too hard financially to compete in the EL it's called "lack of ambition"? I am sure Ricky Ashworth will be back in that most revered of leagues when the time is right for him and he can afford it.

Edited by Midnight_Lady

I'd say Bird was in there mainly for his expertise around Smallmead. Which in my view, is a good idea.

Ashworth was and possibly still is a real prospect but he appears to have not made the expected progress. Certainly around Owlerton he is pretty invincible but away from there he does struggle.

Nothing wrong with picking someone for specific track knowledge, they picked Sean Wilson in 02, he rode very well, particularly at Owlerton in the qualifier, i'll never forget the poor sods engine failure on the last bend as he led Todd Wiltshire.

Such a shame Complin retired, I think he was a real find.

Edited by General Melchitt

Such a shame Complin retired, I think he was a real find.

I´ll echo that. I saw him once and got very impressed. It hurt my heart that he quit, what a fighter, what a style... :sad:

Now that is interesting especially as Gary Havelock chose to go PL this year and hasn't Middlo called Havvy in to the squad. So team GB are looking to the past rather than the future are they not  :blink:

I think what is rather harsh is saying when young rider finds it too hard financially to compete in the EL it's called "lack of ambition"? I am sure Ricky Ashworth will be back in that most revered of leagues when the time is right for him and he can afford it.

I was specifically referring to the youngsters - Havvy has been there and done it and has the pedigree. He could still do a damn good job in the EL as a 3rd heatleader (see his recent guest performances for Coventry and Poole) but for his own reasons chose to go PL - and by his own admission has said that his inclusion in the squad may well be more of an advisory role. Middlo needs the young riders to move up and be taking on and beating the best in order to consider them for the squads. I've nowt against Ricky at all, but really can't see how people can seriously claim he should have a place when he's not riding at the top level in this country. He rode for us doubling up last year and to be honest, was well off the pace on many occasions. After making the most of his maximum doubling up years he hasn't bitten the bullet as say Ollie Allen has done and come up. It hasn't been easy for Ollie either I'm sure but he's reaping the benefits now whilst the likes of Neath and Ashworth remain PL. Each to their own but whether you like the EL or not, if you want to be an international standard rider, you have to show you can mix it with your overseas peers in the higher leagues.

Going into the EL doesnt show ambition i'm afraid looking at the dross that most teams have below heatleader atm. Riding in top league in Sweden or Poland are the toughest assignments atm, maybe why so many riders keep their best bikes for those leagues.

Plus ashworth would get blown away in a stronger league as he is just a tin pot gater away from sheffield.

One Trick Pony..