British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Middlo Is Another Sven

And exactly who would they have picked for the team then SCB? Do you know what was going on in the pits? Easy to sit and home and play the manager isn't it?

I've not commented on the team selection. I've commented on heat 17. I fail to see why I cannot say he got it wrong as I don't "know what was going on in the pits" yet other can claim he could have done no more, yet they don't "know what was going on in the pits" either.

Who was talking to you?
Maybe you should avoid PUBLIC forums if you don't want the public replying :P

See Wales did well  :P

As Well as England, neither were in it :P Check the race jacket under your name :P;)

Edited by SCB

The mark of a great manager in any sport is being able to coax a great performance out of a mediocre player/rider, instilling a confidence and belief that they can go out and put in that big performance, i dont think NM is that type of manager, to be fair theres not many managers around most sports that have this ability.

Actually..Middlo - if you're reading this - quit the Team GB job. You don't need this flak. Stick with managing Poole where you know you're appreciated and let some other sucker catch the crap when they don't get the miracle results either!

Dont kid yerselves people we have 2 chances of winning the SWC slim and none and slim just left town!!!  Middlo is another SGE. Good at club level but cannot produce the goods at International level. This will be his 6th crack at the SWC and we wont beat the Danes, Poles or Swedes no chance.

He doesnt pick riders in form look at Chris Louis he has beaten Crump at Belle Vue Andersen at Peterborough and Nikki Ped at Arlington in the last few weeks 3 world class riders.  He has got a lot of experience of Polish tracks due to his GP appearances and regular Polish league racing in the 90s. 

Sorry people but with Middlo in charge we aint got a hope in hell of winning the SWC it will turn out just like the football world cup full of false hope.

...I think Middleditch has done a wonderful job as national manager and should be congratulated, not knocked. The difference between Eriksson and Middleditch is that Eriksson had the pick of some of the finest players in the world and failed to make them gel as a team in the world cup. Compare that with Middleditch who has had to work with limited resources and very few up and coming Brits. Its a miracle he's managed to steer the team into the final four for as long as he has.

He picked Louis for the final - and it didnt work. So he tried everything.

If you asked all the British riders Im sure they are happy with Middleditch in charge.

Lets leave him alone and pat him on the back for a job well done. To help GB ahead of Australia, Poland and Ameria in this years world cup is an excellent achievement when you consider how few Brit riders he has to select from in the Elite League.

All the criticism and he will knock it on the head and then you will have someone inferior. Get off his back.

Well said DoncasterDragon. Compare the riders Middlo has to chose from compared to the Polish Team Manager. Middlo has done a remarkable job this year on extremely limited resources. He has the total respect of the riders and always tries to get the absolute best out of them.

Ask Loram, Nicholls, Harris, Loram and Louis who they wan to ride under, and they will only give one answer. Middlo.

Well done Middlo on a great effort to get the bronze medal. :approve:

A big thing in the SWC is also the funding each team gets. I think it is quite clear that the Poles, Danes and possibly Swedes have better funding for the tournament. Maybe next year if our funding includes super charged machinery as well - we might get a bit closer :)

Well said DoncasterDragon. Compare the riders Middlo has to chose from compared to the Polish Team Manager. Middlo has done a remarkable job this year on extremely limited resources. He has the total respect of the riders and always tries to get the absolute best out of them.

I don't disagree that Middlo has limited resources, but to suggest that the Poles had more to choose from is a little unfair. Considering who the Polish manager actually had to choose from, I think that the two nations were fairly equal....possibly even things were in Middlos favour....The Poles used two riders who were clearly unfit in the race-off, which probably backs up this argument...

What is clear is that on a track like Reading, the Brits and the Poles were always fighting a losing battle....

No other country embraces failure as we do here, if we actually have a world beater in any sport its only a matter of time before they are getting knocked off their pedestal via the press, but if your a failure your loved, other countries have a winning mentality, the bottom line is your judged on results, looking at the line up at reading i dont think rider for rider we were totally inferior at all, we had riders that could compete at that level against that opposition as they do every week in the league, it then comes down to the managers shrewdness with tactical moves and the ability to motivate, when greece won the european championship they were no way the best squad of players most wouldnt get a regular premiership start, the managers astuteness then came into play and his tacticts proved the deciding factor.

(

Ask Loram, Nicholls, Harris, Loram and Louis who they wan to ride under, and they will only give one answer. Middlo.

Well done Middlo on a great effort to get the bronze medal. :approve:

)

I am sure you are right, but I am also sure that the British boys would give their all for their country WHOEVER is the Team Manager. I think Middlo has done the best he can with the riders available, but IF a new TM were to be appointed, do you honestly think the Brits would refuse a place in the team because the manager wasn't Middlo? WELL DONE TO THE BRITS ON THE BRONZE MEDAL.

To answer a previous poster, It's not about Middlo being poor, or about naming a manager and 5 (GB) riders that would have won tonight.

It's about the future and if most people on here are honest, things do get stale, and things need changing, for the sake of fresh ideas, for fresh techniques.

I am not knocking a man who has done a great job with a mediocre team. I think he got the best out of them he could, but riders are getting to "used" to the way he manages, and how he picks the team based on his own criteria...

Some people can stay in a job too long, and for the sake of the future, it's time it was changed...

What i want to know, is why everyone think "we" are knocking him, when it's not about him, and it's not about the present, it's about the future and things are beginning to look stale.

This is my opinion and i am entitled to have an opinion, my opinion's can be challenged and argued, but let's try not to use the same old "well you do better then", "you tell us who would have won then". i don't know enough about speedway and the riders to be able to do that, but i know enough about people and management to base this opinion on experience....

I thank you for your time.

Maybe you should avoid PUBLIC forums if you don't want the public replying

Its not the public I was complaining about, just you :P

As Well as England, neither were in it :P Check the race jacket under your name

Whats in name? :wink:

At the end of the day TEAM GB were 20-1 outsiders of 4,they finished better than many predicted.Well done to all concerned.

My personal feelings are it's about time Middlo left the job. We've gone nowhere for 6 years or so under him, but who takes charge? I don't have the answer to that question, but maybe we could do the same thing as Australia and Denmark have done and get a rider who is coming to the end of their career to do it.. someone who is proud to be British (not that i'm not saying Middlo's not), but someone like Havvy (I'm not saying it should be him) but he's patriotic, has won a world title, has been around the sport for many years and knows what it takes to win big meetings.

It might also be down to the riders of course.. we don't seem to have 5 riders who are all of the same ability as say Scott. That's no disrespect to any of the others, the way they fought back last night was brilliant, but is it a lack of talent, poor machinery or something else? What will turn team GB into the next Denmark or Australia?

To answer a previous poster, It's not about Middlo being poor, or about naming a manager and 5 (GB) riders that would have won tonight.

It's about the future and if most people on here are honest, things do get stale, and things need changing, for the sake of fresh ideas, for fresh techniques.

I am not knocking a man who has done a great job with a mediocre team. I think he got the best out of them he could, but riders are getting to "used" to the way he manages, and how he picks the team based on his own criteria...

Some people can stay in a job too long, and for the sake of the future, it's time it was changed...

What i want to know, is why everyone think "we" are knocking him, when it's not about him, and it's not about the present, it's about the future and things are beginning to look stale.

This is my opinion and i am entitled to have an opinion, my opinion's can be challenged and argued, but let's try not to use the same old "well you do better then", "you tell us who would have won then". i don't know enough about speedway and the riders to be able to do that, but i know enough about people and management to base this opinion on experience....

As I think you're referring to my post I'll debate with you. I don't agree that we need a new manager. Whoever is in charge won't get any more points out of the available talent than Middlo. I don't see why we need to change. What we need are more Brits coming through, and that's an inherent fault of the system, not Middlo. People talk about ex-riders managing, fine, but I tell you, a year down the line we will be having this exact same debate as we have done the previous couple of years. Putting someone else in charge won't make a blind bit of difference - if anything might make it worse - the riders have a great rapport with Neil and he treats them all according to their personalities rather than just 'riders' - some need a kick up the arse, others need coaxing and given confidence. But at the end of the day, if the guys on the track can't put in the performances we won't do Jack and we just do not have the concentration of riders at the top level or just outside it that the other top 3 nations do. I don't see any improvement for at least 3 or 4 years to be honest - the likes of Stead still aren't at the top match winning level and the next generation are still too young or inexpercienced atm.

If anything I'd say Middlo should be congratulated for making a silk purse of out a sow's ear when we have finished on the rostrom several times in recent years when realistically we shouldn't have had a chance with the injuries we have had.

Just my opinion...

Edited by rabbit

If anything I'd say Middlo should be congratulated for making a silk purse of out a sow's ear when we have finished on the rostrom several times in recent years when realistically we shouldn't have had a chance with the injuries we have had.

Just my opinion...

Rabbit I agree 110% with you, you have just found the words to sum it all up. :approve: (Congratulations to rabbit as well for being so diplomatic :lol: )