British Speedway Forum
Herbie the Hammer

Fay Taylour

I've NEVER heard this before..!!

Where have you got the story about Barking Park from..??  What was on this site then..??  At Parsloes, it was the trotting track being considered..

I'd really appreciate more details as - as a Barking & Dagenham resident myself - I have an embryonic idea about some kind of 80th. anniversary commemorative event around the fact that Speedway was NEARLY born in our Borough in what would have been late 1927..

PM me if you like..

Never heard anymore on this. Do you know any details of this alleged link between Barking Park and the Ilford MCC's efforts to find an initial venue back in 1927, Norbold..??

No, I've not come across that before either. Perhaps a few references from the good doctor would be helpful.

In view of speedyguy's interest in four wheeled oval racing and Mr.Hyam's role with the Midget cars I had been wondering for a while whether speedyguy and Mr.Hyam had ever been seen in the same room together.

In view of this it is time to confess that I am in fact, er me, as below.

I do wonder if life would be so much easier - and honest - in these forums if we did use our real names. I've only used rmc as an abbreviation, but then I have nothing to hide.

Time for me to edit my profile I suspect and let rmc go for a well-earned rest.

Edited by rmc

Never heard anymore on this.  Do you know any details of this alleged link between Barking Park and the Ilford MCC's efforts to find an initial venue back in 1927, Norbold..??

Quoted from a near-contemporary magazine on the Vintage Speedway Forum:

"I have been sitting tight and reading with great interest the Controversy on "who started dirt track racing" As a Member of the Ilford club committee, 1926-28, I would like readers of this Magazine to know that as far back as June 1926, Sir Fredrick Wise, President of the club, made an application to the L.C.C. for a disused trotting track known as Parsloes park. This was when the Ilford club first though of making a dirt track. We did not unfortunately get the Parsloes track, so our next step was High Beech.

A.H.Finch"

No mention of Barking Park there!

Quoted from a near-contemporary magazine on the Vintage Speedway Forum:

"I have been sitting tight and reading with great interest the Controversy on "who started dirt track racing" As a Member of the Ilford club committee, 1926-28, I would like readers of this Magazine to know that as far back as June 1926, Sir Fredrick Wise, President of the club, made an application to the L.C.C. for a disused trotting track known as Parsloes park. This was when the Ilford club first though of making a dirt track. We did not unfortunately get the Parsloes track, so our next step was High Beech.

A.H.Finch"

No mention of Barking Park there!

Norman any informayion about the magazine and Mr Finch would be helpful!

could you PM me

thanks Ray

The correct date for Parsloes Park should be June 1927 not 26.

I've pm'd you, Ray.

There's another review of Brian Belton's book on Fay Taylour in the issue 55 of VSM. By his favourite reviewer too!

Fay was far from being a nasty piece of work. A little misguided maybe at one time, but generally you will find that most people who knew her in England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa loved and admired her.

One day maybe an author will write he life story...

That site you have shown doesnot show her actually committing any offence - just falling foul of the times that she lived in.

I have to say, speedyguy, she looks quite nasty to me...

"In one letter to a friend, she said: "I love Nazi Germany and the German people and their leader and this war seems terribly unfair."

I wonder if we had a rider saying "I love the Taleban and their leader and this war seems terribly unfair."Would speedyguy say they were far from being a nasty piece of work?I think not :)

I wonder if we had a rider saying  "I love the Taleban and their leader and this war seems terribly unfair."Would speedyguy say they were far from being a nasty piece of work?I think not :)

Then why was it so many of her pre-war racing colleagues, especially in the midget car world. accepted Fay Taylour post-1945? If I gave names of these drivers they would mean little to speedway fans but in the USA, Australia and New Zealand their status was certainly akin to that given to speedway riders.

Maybe they decided that her faults of the pre-war years could be forgiven. And maybe also that Fay herself repented these pre-war actions - I am certain that will be clarified in Dr Belton's proposed second book on her. I know his most dedicated reviewer eagerly anticipates its publication!

The fact that she was allowed into the USA to race in the 1950s would indicate they had no concerns about her. Fay also entered Australia and New Zealand several times to race, and was given warm and welcome receptions. They obviously did not regard her right-wing leanings of the 1930s with as much concern as we do now in hindsight.

According to the earlier Belton book, Fay Taylour was also welcomed around British speedways in 1946 and 1947, very soon after the end of WW2. They must have been aware of her WW2 internment. And obviously felt no concerns about it.

Maybe they decided that her faults of the pre-war years could be forgiven. And maybe also that Fay herself repented these pre-war actions -

Maybe.I am not in a position to know what they thought and what they knew.I also don't know immigration policy from the time,but i would imagine Nazis were allowed,even taken to America after the war.

That in no way answers my question though :)

QUOTE(iris123 @ Feb 2 2007, 06:38 PM)

I wonder if we had a rider saying "I love the Taleban and their leader and this war seems terribly unfair."Would speedyguy say they were far from being a nasty piece of work?I think not.end quote.

I would think: 'what a burke' the rider is but not take it too seriously. This is the world of Jade Goody intelligence after all.

I still think Fay Taylour was villified at a time when people did not have the compromise towards attitudes of mind that exist nowadays. She most likely, as so many people did at that time, by linking to a neo-fascist party adopt a stance against a party opposed to communism without knowing its real intentions.

Didn't the Duke of Windsor in the 1930s visit Germany and was impressed by Mr Hitler as well? I am sure I read something on those lines somewhere. Was what Fay Taylour did so different?

I have, like the renowned author of her biography, studied Fay Taylour's career and attitudes towards things over the years. Most people seem to have the opinion the 'right-wing' attitude was a blip with things said to gain attention - wrongly by her maybe. But let's in more modern times be tolerant to her.

After all, as a very young person I used to admire the Stalin-era Russia. I shudder at the thought of doing that these days. I was only 10!

Edited by speedyguy

Guest Donsking
QUOTE(iris123 @ Feb 2 2007, 06:38 PM)

I wonder if we had a rider saying  "I love the Taleban and their leader and this war seems terribly unfair."Would speedyguy say they were far from being a nasty piece of work?I think not.end quote.

I would think: 'what a burke' the rider is but not take it too seriously. This is the world of Jade Goody intelligence after all.

I still think Fay Taylour was villified at a time when people did not have the compromise towards attitudes of mind that exist nowadays. She most likely, as so many people did at that time, by linking to a neo-fascist party adopt a stance against a party opposed to communism without knowing its real intentions.

Didn't the Duke of Windsor in the 1930s visit Germany and was impressed by Mr Hitler as well? I am sure I read something on those lines somewhere. Was what Fay Taylour did so different?

I have, like the renowned author of her biography, studied Fay Taylour's career and attitudes towards things over the years. Most people seem to have the opinion the 'right-wing' attitude was a blip with things said to gain attention - wrongly by her maybe. But let's in more modern times be tolerant to her.

After all, as a very young person I used to admire the Stalin-era Russia. I shudder at the thought of doing that these days. I was only 10!

Not really no, but then Hitler did a damn good job of masking his true intentions, and who can really say that the principle of communism doesn't look good on paper?

Except, with the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, we now know Hitler was a fanatic dictator with a screwed up utopian view of his future world, and any right thinking person at the time would've been scared by Ms Taylour's private views.

I think she should think herself fairly lucky to have been released from internment, afterall, many people were interned just because they happened to come from the wrong place; with what the secret service had on her, she could well have stayed under lock and key for the duration.