British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezekiel

Mark Loram

Its an indictment of the current state of British (English?) speedway that we are even talking about Loram & Louis being re-admitted to the GP series.

Whilst age should not be a barrier to GP entry (Hancock & Gollob are prime examples), whether qualified, wild-card or nominated, surely by now Britain should have younger riders coming through to replace L&L.

Nicholls is worth his place. Richardson is struggling. L&L both seem to have regained their zest for the sport (injury free so far obviously helps) and its great to see and if Loram wants to be re-considered for a place, why not? He entertains on a bike as well as any current rider.

I still feel sorry for Louis the way he lost his spot in the GP's as, he had been a consistent performer up to then and had probably deserved at least 1 win, injury really putting him out.

Would Stead, Harris or say Kennet progress if they were nominated? My current best bet for the future is Danny King who seems to have ramped it up this season and, with a good couple of Elite seasons under his belt, could in 2 years be the English GP rider. Lets face it, with Danmark full of young talent, AJ & Lindback and all the new young Aussies on the scene, Britain needs to find riders from somewhere.

(I still feel the opening up of the National League to foreigners (was it Rasmussen?) really hurt Britains's cause, but that is another topic and long gone now.)

I think if anything showed why Loram shouldn't bother with the GPs again it was Sullivan's abject performance in Malilla last night. Sullivan, like Loram, was a GP winner, but his last couple of GP seasons, again like Loram's, were awful. But, people cried, Sullivan's back to his best. Their time in the GPs have come and gone. They belong to the past.

Do you really want to see Loram scoring 2-3 points in the GPs? Didn't think so.

Edited by Subedei

Subedei,

Well, Poland have still got "old man" Gollob in the GP series (we here about all these up-and-coming Poles, but Hampel is only one to have a regular GP spot - and he seems to be losing his way).  So why not "old man" Loram as well?

He's clearly the second best Brit about at the moment, and I think, he is amongst the best 16 in the world as well.

Loram is 27th in the Polish League averages and 24th in the Swedish averages - I fail to see how that equates with being in the best 16 in the world

And Gollob has quite simply remained in the top 8 of the GP - which rather suggests that he is in the top 8 in the world (although I don't think he's going to stay there for more than another year at the most)

I'd agree Loram is the second best Brit at the moment (not withstanding the fact that Lee Richardson has a higher average than him - in both Sweden and Poland!), but unless we accept the GP should not consist of the best 16 riders in the world it remains hard to argue that there should be a second Brit at all.

That said if it was simply down to me to choose the 16 top riders I most enjoy watching he'd certainly be in there

Do you really want to see Loram scoring 2-3 points in the GPs? Didn't think so.

There's nothing to say he will score 2-3 points a GP, Mark is a real trier, no way will he settle for second best to anyone!!!

Best they make a decision soon as Tabby sleeping with JP and Me with OO is looking our best option at the moment :lol::P

There was nothing to suggest that Sullivan would score just 1 point at Malilla last night. But that's exactly what he did score.

I just wonder if OO will still be a man of iron after a night with the infamous 'Bird - the meanest of speedway's mean reduced to a quivering wreck, begging for the 'Bird to be excluded for wild and dangerous riding.

Edited by Subedei

I just wonder if OO will still be a man of iron after a night with the infamous 'Bird - the meanest of speedway's mean reduced to a quivering wreck, begging for the 'Bird to be excluded for wild and dangerous riding.

Well he knows the alternative :P:lol:

As much as speedway fans may like Mark to ride in the SGP series it not going to happen. Unfortunately

There's nothing to say he will score 2-3 points a GP, Mark is a real trier, no way will he settle for second best to anyone!!!

Best they make a decision soon as Tabby sleeping with JP and Me with OO is looking our best option at the moment  :lol:  :P

Still not 100% sure which of us drew the short straw there! :lol:

Sorry but Loram - as a good a rider as he is - is like putting Hamill back in the GP series or Wiltshire.

I think you need to go forward now and leave dead wood behind. Lets face it - how many years can Loram go for taking age etc into account.

What next - andy smith back in for his 1 or 2 points ech week.

In my opinion (thats an open opportunity to smash my opionion by the way?!?!?) get rid of pepe, and Richardson and bring some new blood through. Bomber Harris can do no worse than Richardson if you MUST have a British rider, I would prefer to see Rune Holta in than Richardson.

Gollob has passed it now too.

The GP needs a refresh over the winter to get it to the top of its game.

Sorry but Loram - as a good a rider as he is - is like putting Hamill back in the GP series  or Wiltshire.

I think you need to go forward now and leave dead wood behind. Lets face it - how many years can Loram go for taking age etc into account.

What next - andy smith back in for his 1 or 2 points ech week.

In my opinion (thats an open opportunity to smash my opionion by the way?!?!?) get rid of pepe, and Richardson and bring some new blood through. Bomber Harris can do no worse than Richardson if you MUST have a British rider, I would prefer to see Rune Holta in than Richardson.

Gollob has passed it now too.

The GP needs a refresh over the winter to get it to the top of its game.

:blink:

Holta is 33!

Not exactly young either is he? and let's face it Loram is a much more exciting racer and stays on his bike more too! :unsure:

The trouble is, you may think Gollob is passed it, but he keeps qualifying.

Anyway, the coming GP season (I think well ahead) should be interesting - the first season without TR.