British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezekiel

Mark Loram

Just wanted to add that neither I nor anyone I know wishes to see Mark back in the GPs. Why?

TBH most of the "senior" riders that are competing are in with a chance of winning - or should be - (Adams, Crump, Hancock) and I can't see Mark in that bracket. Gollob is no longer a real title contender and perhaps is the closest parallel to Mark but overall I think it should be the top lads scrapping for the title and the next 10 or so young guns.

the inclusion of the following should be non-controversial:

Adams, Bjarne, Crump, Hampel, Hancock, Hans, Jonsson, Pedersen, Zagar

and then the nationally necessary wildcards - Gollob especially. In fact he probably still fits in the first group. Scottie is possibly the 1st Brit on the list.

Besides, that's 11 so far.

Then - for 2007, and in an ideal world, the rest would be from the following (IMO and more controversially):

Holta, Jagus, PK, Lindback(?), Lindgren, Kolodziej, maybe Pepe - and for Brits its one of Bomber/Lee/Stead.

Lee seems to be a disaster this year in the GPs and his whole focus is misplaced. But I still think he is head and shoulders over the other 2, at present, though neither Steady nor Bomber - and I am a HUGE fan of both - looks like a serious World Champ prospect. Mark would have to fit in as the 2nd GB wildcard/token rider and it seems a backward step. If he had qualified that would be different.....

I'd rather watch Renat TBH

Edited by SwineTown

Great world champ in past but we need to be looking to the future now , but who to ?

I've probably seen Dean Barker and Floppy ride more this season than Mark and I can see if they have improved over the season or not, whereas you can only read about them and not form your own opinion as to their form (does that make sense it's not meant to sound patronising yet it's coming across that way :oops: )

:rolleyes:

Unusually for you Shazzy it does make sense :P

I understand what your saying and no,it doesn't sound patronising.Just don't agree with ya :D

Just wondering if you are taking tranquilizers,as you are very calm these last weeks

Edited by iris123

(Iris) :lol:

(SwineTown)

Are you one of the speedway supporters who moans about the fact that TEAM GB haven't won the SWC for a while?

(SwineTown)

Are you one of the speedway supporters who moans about the fact that TEAM GB haven't won the SWC for a while?

Nope.

Why?

Edited by SwineTown

Lee seems to be a disaster this year in the GPs and his whole focus is misplaced. But I still think he is head and shoulders over the other 2, at present, though neither Steady nor Bomber - and I am a HUGE fan of both - looks like a serious World Champ prospect.  Mark would have to fit in as the 2nd GB wildcard/token rider and it seems a backward step. If he had qualified that would be different.....

:blink: So if Steady nor Bomber look like World Champs at the moment, Lee has gone backwards for the last two seasons in the GP's let's be honest here :wink: Put Mark in on a permanent Wildcard, we'll have Lewis Bridger as a wildcard for Cardiff and Edward Kennett at reserve :approve:

In all honesty I'd be happy with Mark as a Wildcard for Cardiff anything else would be a bonus and keep me watching the GP's throughout the season, wouldn't worry about it being a one horse race at the top as let's face it most are now interested who's going to make 2nd rather than winning as it's closer between 2nd and 3rd :approve:

OK Steve, name a young Brit that can mix it with the best in the GP's

Go on...............  Just one name will do!

It's OK, I'll wait for you to think of one!

:neutral:

chris bomber harris would do better im sure!! yeah it might take him even 1 year to settle in etc, but i think the eventual outcome would be better than if loram was in. unfortunately, i agree with steve that loram has had his go, and done well, so it is time for others to go in. Even stead would give it a good go, but i dont think he would be as good as harris! also richardson has lost it over the last year or so... always got an excuse aswell... ill, machinery, mechanic etc... we want someone who will ride just as well on someone elses bike as on there own, and will be able to ride through small illnesses (i think TR did this a bit last year...)

anyway... thats my opinion so dont have a go at me over it!!!!!!!

I've always liked Mark as a rider, but he's never been a real favourite of mine. Like everyone else I've always been impressed by his ability to come from the back in great style, and enjoy watching him ride.

However, seeing him on a more regular basis this season, I honestly feel that the Loramski of old has returned. His passion for the sport seems to have reappeared following a few injury hit seasons and a quiet period while at Arena.

How many of the 15 GP riders can we honestly say have a chance of becoming World Champion in any one season? 3, maybe 4 at the most? If Mark was given the chance, he might not be challenging Crump but I don't think he'd regularly be scoring 1s and 2s either. I'm all for giving the youngsters a chance but in my opinion Bomber or Stead aren't quite ready for the big stage in 2007.

Just my opinion obviously but don't write Mark off just yet.

:blink:  So if Steady nor Bomber look like World Champs at the moment, Lee has gone backwards for the last two seasons in the GP's let's be honest here  :wink:  Put Mark in on a permanent Wildcard, we'll have Lewis Bridger as a wildcard for Cardiff and Edward Kennett at reserve :approve:

I'd rather watch Steady or Bomber than Mark - every step forward would be exciting and build up anticipation that they MIGHT break through. Did you see the Danish poster on here saying Bomber beat Nicki P at a track where he'd been unbeaten for 3 years?

I'd rather Kennet, Bridger, Stead, Bomber or Lee as a permanent Wildcard than Loram. Mark won't win another GP and wont finish in the top 5/6 so why bother? It would keep some fans happy but even yesterday at Swindon he struggled to beat anyone of note - but looks great on trackand is very exciting - but did anyone think he'd beat Leigh in the runoff? He struggled against Top Cat and even Ulamek on one ride. Lee can still do it in the GPs but IMO needs time out.

TBH I dont like the "x number of riders from country y" thing although I see the commercial value.

This whole wildcard thing is b***ocks knowbody should get a wild card ,same as know one should be a automatic entry,every rider in the world should have the same chance.bring back the qualifying rounds (british final,austrailsia final,us final,scandinavian finals etc) then the top 16 race in the GPs.

Now there's a thought, let's hope all riders have a contract to allow them to ride in them though :P

Now there's a thought, let's hope all riders have a contract to allow them to ride in them though  :P

It worked for years till GP started with no problems.then you got all the best riders in not ones who you get hand picked now.

Edited by highside

It worked for years till GP started with no problems.then you got all the best riders in not ones who you get hand picked now.

But it's being marketed to a completely different audience now. BSI don't really care about people who are already supporters. They want to appeal to a new crop of 'armchair supporters' who have seen speedway for the first time on TV and want to be able to cheer on some home riders. They've turned a legitimate competition into a marketing tool.

GPs eh?

Pride of the sport?

The one true international showcase?

Greatest PR tool ever?

Most exciitng nights racing?

or:

Create a new breed of Prima Donna fair-weather slick-track gater rider?

Destroy the true focus of our sport - the humble leagues and teams that spawned them?

Take the key UK race night for ever?

Devalue all else?

Devalue those that dont make it?

Clog the calender with intrusive shedules?

Remove the World Champ career path to glory?

Introduce a new level of nepotism?

Reduce the best to 2nd rate soap opers cast-off?

Edited by SwineTown

Do you know what ST.... After reading your posting there you are right about the GP's if only we could go back to the one off final :cry: those were the days a World Champ on the night, whatever mis-haps others may have it was down to the best on the night. :approve: (Now you've done it I've gone back to yesterday year) so if it was a one off final again who in the line up from this years GP do you think would win, personally I think Leigh or Greg.