British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stansolo

Which City/town

As a Birmingham fan I know the cities team had the ......

Hall Green Stadium 1930's

Birchfield Stadium Perry Barr 1946-1957 / 1960 & 2007

Ladbrokes Stadium -Perry Barr 1971 - 1983

Bordesley Green - 1984(part) 1986 -1987

That's 4 who had more...... .??

Could anyone add :unsure:

As a Birmingham fan I know the cities team had the ......

Hall Green Stadium 1930's

Birchfield Stadium Perry Barr 1946-1957 / 1960 & 2007

Ladbrokes Stadium -Perry Barr 1971 - 1983

Bordesley Green - 1984(part) 1986 -1987

That's 4 who had more...... .??

Could anyone add :unsure:

London maybe? How about Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, Walthamstow, Stamford Bridge, Crystal Palace, Lea Bridge, Harringay, Hackney, Catford, New Cross, White City - just to be going on with?

Edited by speedyguy

Glasgow

Carntyne

Nelson

Celtic Park

White City

Ashfield

Hampden Park

Blantyre

Craighead Park

Shawfield

Oddly enough Glasgow have rode at three tracks originally used by another club Coatbridge former home of the Monarchs

Workington fromer home of the Comets and finally their current home

Ashfield former home of the Giants

Is there any other club can top that? :o

Oddly enough Glasgow have rode at three tracks originally used by another club Coatbridge former home of the Monarchs

Workington fromer home of the Comets and finally their current home

Ashfield former home of the Giants

Is there any other club can top that? :o

That's an interesting fact - maybe they should change their name to Glasgow Magpies. :wink::lol:

London maybe? How about Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, Walthamstow, Stamford Bridge, Crystal Palace, Lea Bridge, Harringay, Hackney, Catford, New Cross, White City - just to be going on with?

It's undoubtedly been London. Don't forget Romford as well.

Not too sure of my North West geography but Manchester has had six tracks as far as I know:

Hyde Road, Kirkmanshulme Lane, White City, Droylsden, Audenshaw and Salford.

But London has only had 1 "London" team and that was in 1996 when the Lions raced at Hackney. All Stasolo's venues were graced by "Birmingham" teams. Same goes for Sotonians Glasgow teams

So for that matter, would you say there no London football clubs, since Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, QPR, Crystal Palace, Leyton Orient, Brentford, Milwall etc. obviously don't count! :D:blink:

So for that matter, would you say there no London football clubs, since Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, QPR, Crystal Palace, Leyton Orient, Brentford, Milwall etc. obviously don't count!  :D  :blink:

I wouldn't say anything of the sort, but all the London teams mentioned were separate teams, the Birmingham and Glasgow ones were the same team moving fom venue to venue

But London has only had 1 "London" team and that was in 1996 when the Lions raced at Hackney. All Stasolo's venues were graced by "Birmingham" teams. Same goes for Sotonians Glasgow teams

Weren't the Glasgow teams actually known as White City Glasgow and Ashfield Glasgow - not just Glasgow? Let's not get too pedantic over this.

And the original question was which City has had the most teams/clubs - not just qualifying it as being under the main area title. Norbold has added Romford to my original list - maybe we can also add in Dagenham and Crayford (unless my old pal Parsloes 1928-nearly over-rules me on that one!).

Edited by speedyguy

Weren't the Glasgow teams actually known as White City Glasgow and Ashfield Glasgow - not just Glasgow? Let's not get too pedantic over this.

And the original question was which City has had the most teams - not just qualifying it as being under the main area title. Norbold has added Romford to my original list - maybe we can also add in Dagenham and Crayford (unless my old pal Parsloes 1928 over-rules me on that one!).

Ashfield was originally the home of Ashfield Giants but they do now race as Glasgow from the same stadium. I believe it was still Glasgow when they raced out of the White City Stadium, quite often with the "White City" tagged on after the "Glasgow

I think Crayford is a couple of hundred yards outside the Greater London boundary , dunno about Dag .

I'm sure there was a Clapton club as well ?

There was once a Clapton greyhound stadium - in the 1930s early 1940s - but I am usnure if it staged speedway.

I think Crayford is a couple of hundred yards outside the Greater London boundary , dunno about Dag .

I'm sure there was a Clapton club as well ?

The Crayford track (you KNEW I was going to reply on this one...!!!) was in the London Borough of Bexley. Dagenham (though not at the time, a London Borough..) lies within the LB of Barking & Dagenham..: and LBBD is nearer to the city, of course, than the next borough eastwards which is Havering..: Romford is in Havering.

When they were running as teams in the British League Division Two both Romford and Crayford were in London Boroughs..: Dagenham's is perhaps more of a moot point but if you count Crayford and Romford, you're foreced to do likewise with Dagenham..!!

Don't think Catford ever had a team though. Clapton/Lea Bridge, on the other hand certainly did. Has anyone mentioned Walthamstow (LB Waltham Forest)..??

The Crayford track (you KNEW I was going to reply on this one...!!!) was in the London Borough of Bexley.  Dagenham (though not at the time, a London Borough..) lies within the LB of Barking & Dagenham..: and LBBD is nearer to the city, of course, than the next borough eastwards which is Havering..: Romford is in Havering.

When they were running as teams in the British League Division Two both Romford and Crayford were in London Boroughs..: Dagenham's is perhaps more of a moot point but if you count Crayford and Romford, you're foreced to do likewise with Dagenham..!!

Don't think Catford ever had a team though.  Clapton/Lea Bridge, on the other hand certainly did.  Has anyone mentioned Walthamstow (LB Waltham Forest)..??

Not boasting! I have mentioned Walthamstow.

Don't know too much about the pre-war Walthamstow team, but remember the post-war side well with among others Harry and Bert Edwards, Ted Argall, Arch Windmill, Reg Reeves, George Newton - they were the days!

Gone all nostalgic and diverted from the real thread.