British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stansolo

Which City/town

Is Romford not Essex Norbold?  :unsure:

Romford was in Essex until 1964 when it was absorbed in to London; the same goes for West Ham and Lea Bridge.

There was once a Clapton greyhound stadium - in the 1930s early 1940s - but I am usnure if it staged speedway.

There was never any speedway at Clapton Stadium. I know that because I used to live next door!

Romford was in Essex until 1964 when it was absorbed in to London; the same goes for West Ham and Lea Bridge.

Cheers for the info Norbold.

What about the complete opposite. Longest serving at the SAME venue, is this held by Coventry?

There was never any speedway at Clapton Stadium. I know that because I used to live next door!

Quite right. The Clapton team was actually based at Lea Bridge. I remember visiting the site of Clapton Stadium about seven years ago when I was taking photos of stdaiums and the sites of old stadiums. Somehow, I missed Lea Bridge!

Coventry and Poole have both operated every season since 1948, closely followed by Swindon and Oxford in 1949.

Does anyone know the dates of Coventry and Pooles opening meetings in 1948, to see which one actually holds the record for continuous speedway?

Also, following the sad loss of both Powderhall & Exeter stadiums, which I think were both over 100 years old, does anyone know which of the current speedway stadiums is the oldest?

There has been speedway at Eastbourne's Arlington track every year since 1929 with the exception of 1931, the War years, 1949 and 1965-68. Although not continuous since the War, I think they have the best record for most years open.

Coventry and Poole have both operated every season since 1948, closely followed by Swindon and Oxford in 1949.

Oxford opened in 1939, and staged meetings in 1940 and 1941, joining the leagues in 1949.

Opening meeting at Poole was on 26th April 1948.

National Trophy - Poole v Gt. Yarmouth.

First heat, first bend crash cost Reg Craven's life.

What a start for a new track

Belle Vue opened in 1928 at Kirky Lane and, of course, race there now.

Granted there was a gap between 1929 and 1987!

Sheffield opened in 1929 and are still at Owlerton, closing during WW2 and, I think, most of the 50's.

Edited by Sotonian

Therefore Glasgow is the winner ??? ;)

Therefore Glasgow  is the winner ??? ;)

How do work that out? They are not running at their original track. On yourtheory, it would be Manchester accoring to my reckoning.

The question is which city/town had the most venues in its history, not which club, so the answer must be London.

Oxford opened in 1939, and staged meetings in 1940 and 1941, joining the leagues in 1949.

Coventry is the only team to have operated continuously at the same venue, Brandon, since the war.

Poole did not operate in 1957, although Rayleigh staged two meetings at Poole that year.

Additionally having opened in 1928, there was a Coventry team racing at Brandon up until the start of the war, which was then comandeered by the army for the duration.

I don't think Coventry operated from 1934 to the outbreak of War did they?