British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Money For Speed

Can anyone shed any light on the 'B' movie made in the early '30s called 'Money for Speed' (and I understand also shown under the title, 'Daredevils of the Earth')?

I believe it used archive (though obviously not old at the time..!!) film of the following riders in action: Frank Arthur, Jack Ormston, Colin Watson, Tom Farndon, Bluey Wilkinson, Jack Parker, Vic Huxley, Eric Langdon, Tiger Stevenson, Ron Johnson, Billy Lamont, Wal Phillips and Frank Varey.

Phew!!

What I'd like to know most is does anyone know what track this filming was made at.. I'm guessing Wembley or New Cross..??

And the $64,000 question..: is the film available anywhere..?? I understand a French-dubbed version (bizarrely) has been unearthed..??

I know David Lean was involved in it. There is a website with a few clips, but you have to be a registered library/school to watch them and I couldn't.

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/516270/index.html

http://www.britishpictures.com/arch_m4.html

I did try and track down a copy once, but gave up in the end as I just got sent on a wild goose chase.

Edited by Grachan

I remember this coming up about 2 years ago and I tried to access it in uni without any success so queried it with the relevant people and they said they'd see what they could do. Nobody ever got back to me and I forgot about it.

I shall go back into uni tomorrow and try again (or some time I can be bothered and remember!). I'm guessing it won't be possible to "borrow" the footage it shows but I should at least be able to watch it myself and tell you if it's worth trying to get to see it yourself or not.

Try putting 'Ginger Lees' in Google and see what it comes up with!

I thought I'd enquire with the British Film Institute about the availability the film. I've just received this reply:

Unfortunately Money For Speed is not available for hire or purchase on video/DVD.

Any DVD or video title that is currently available to buy in Britain can usually be ordered directly through a good retailer - on the high street, by mail order, or via the internet. Internet-based retail sites often boast very extensive catalogues of available titles and have listings that are usually searchable by actor, director or genre, as well as by title. Try the Film Links Gateway on our website - www.bfi.org.uk/gateway/categories/videodvd/ - for links to a selection of browsable websites, including some also offering titles to rent.

Many films, particularly older titles, will never have been released on DVD or video in Britain. Other films will have been released at one time, but will have since been deleted from stock and will therefore not be available to purchase.

Unavailable titles

If a DVD/video cannot be supplied by a retailer, or is not currently on release, you will probably not be able to purchase a copy. Copies of titles that have recently been deleted by distributors may sometimes still be found for hire in rental outlets or via public libraries.

If you wish to view a particular film or television title that you cannot obtain on DVD/video, the BFI National Archive holds viewing copies of a large range of material for research purposes (please note that we cannot provide copies). We do hold a French dubbed version and German subtitled version. The latter, the longest copy acquired, is still incomplete by approx. 16 minutes.Viewings are made by appointment with the archive, and are charged at an hourly rate. See details of the Research Viewing service on our website at www.bfi.org.uk/nftva/access/rvs.html.

Yours sincerely,

Information Services

BFI National Library and BFI National Archive BFI, 21 Stephen Street, London W1T 1LN tel. +44 (0)20 7255 1444, fax. +44 (0)20 7436 0165

contact us at www.bfi.org.uk/ask with your film and television queries, or telephone +44 (0)20 7255 1444 and ask for Information (Mon to Fri, 10am-1pm & 2pm- 5pm).

Try putting 'Ginger Lees' in Google and see what it comes up with!

Gee, my throttle hand's itching.:oops:

You weren't supposed to click on the links, guys!!! :shock:

Who's Cyclone Davis??? :blink:

A Wall of Death rider!

And wasn't it filmed at Lea Bridge.To answer Parsloes other question.

I'm just wondering about a forum viewing of the film?Not sure how it works,viewing these things.But maybe if a few of us get together it will spread the costs a bit.........Just a thought,as i have wanted to see this as well.But i won't be coming over until the speedway season starts :(