British Speedway Forum
Kent Boy

Former Crayford Riders

Cliff Ott never rode for the Crayford first team.  Don't think he appeared for the Juniors either but could be wrong there..

So are we saying then that 'Red' Ott was in fact Les Ottewell..??!!!!  Rather ruins his nickname..!! :blink:

Maybe Mike is the real Red Ott,seeing as he lived in communist East Germany :D

Cliff Ott's only League appearances were for Rye House in 1983.

5 matches (4 of which were away) for 2 points.

I think he may also have had two outings for Hackney in 1981. :wink:

I think he may also have had two outings for Hackney in 1981. :wink:

Not in the League mate.

I think they were League Cup matches B)

Not in the League mate.

I think they were League Cup matches B)

Did I say they were league matches mate? :wink:

Seriously though, they were official meetings. :P

In the period 1968 to 1970, Crayford was something of a 'nursery' for young riders in the late Mike Parker's stable.

Many actually lived in the Midlands and had strong Wolverhampton connections e.g. Dave Parry now very much involved as a sponsor with the modern day Monmore Green set up. From memory Dave only had a handful of meetings in our first season as indeed did Arthur Price whom I'm sure many will remember.

First real 'heroes' at London Road were, I would suggest, Archie Wilkinson and Geoff Ambrose. Then. of course, there was also "Smiler" alias Mick Handley and the likes of Derek Timms, Tony Childs, Tony Armstrong (whom I believe now lives in Canada), Chris Harrison, Big Judd Drew and Georgie Devenport. Jeez the memories are flooding back!

Moving onto 1975 onwards, bumped into Colin "joe" Gooddy a few years back at Poole I seem to recall, always remember on arrival at Glasgow (Blantyre) Tony Featherstone asking Jimmy Beaton Snr, "what time do the potatoes come up?" - NOT the most diplomatic question to ask eh? :lol: A banner some fans made up for the coach to the 4TT finals one year which said, "Drink Canada Dry - Les Rumsey did!" Think even Les laughed at that! Laurie Etheridge winning the New NL Riders Champs at Wombledon and the Fours win at P'boro....Ah so many memories

How about the pre-war days?

Mick Mitchell, used to live near me at Lee Green in Lewisham, was regular there in 1938 or 1939.

He was a good legtrailer and had post-war spells with New Cross, Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Hull and Swindon.

Edited by speedyguy

Guest Donsking
How about the pre-war days?

Mick Mitchell, used to live near me at Lee Green in Lewisham, was regular there in 1938 or 1939.

He was a good legtrailer and had post-war spells with New Cross, Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Hull and Swindon.

No idea who you're talking about, but I'm sure he didn't race at Crystal Palace after the war...........................

A banner some fans made up for the coach to the 4TT finals one year which said, "Drink Canada Dry - Les Rumsey did!" Think even Les laughed at that!

:lol: Classic.

Mustn't forget Alan Sage either Bryn, a true master of London Road. :approve:

In the period 1968 to 1970, Crayford was something of a 'nursery' for young riders in the late Mike Parker's stable.

Many actually lived in the Midlands and had strong Wolverhampton connections e.g. Dave Parry now very much involved as a sponsor with the modern day Monmore Green set up. From memory Dave only had a handful of meetings in our first season as indeed did Arthur Price whom I'm sure many will remember.

Excellent Bryn. Back from all that harmful sunshine and booze in Oz and contributing the expert knowledge we've been coveting to the best thread on the BSF!! :)

As you know, I wasn't a Crayfordite 'til 1975 but have checked the London Rd. career records of Dave & Arthur and they read:

Parry, Dave 1968 4 12 8 2.67

Price, Arthur 1968 3 9 6 2.67

As you say nearly identical!!

D.

Someone mentioned that Tony Armstrong lives in Canada-I can confirm that.He married Stan Bradbury's daughter-last I heard they were living in Edmonton, Alberta

No idea who you're talking about, but I'm sure he didn't race at Crystal Palace after the war...........................

Slight error there: he rode at the Palace in 1939 along with Keith Harvey & Co.

When you are old, the memory plays tricks. Surprised you have never heard of Mick Mitchell. Has anyone else - or is he a figment of my imagination as well?

Donskings - any news yet on your article on the Palace?

Mick Mitchell rode in Crystal Palace's last away 1939 National League Division Two match at Norwich where he scored three points.

He did exist then!!

And had pre-war links at Crayford as well. I read that in a pre-war Speedway News when I was reseraching on the 1938 and 1939 seasons. Still not sure which season it was for Crayford, but that wasn't really my research - just an item that 'jumped out of the page' at me.

Reserachers will know what I mean by that phrase?

Edited by speedyguy

Someone mentioned that Tony Armstrong lives in Canada-I can confirm that.He married Stan Bradbury's daughter-last I heard they were living in Edmonton, Alberta

You are absolutely correct BOBBATH...they are still living in Edmonton and just for the record Stan Bradbury was honoured at the Paris Track (in Ontario) this past season with a celebration of his 80th Birthday.

Thanx andout- I was privileged to be at Paris when Stan was honored( a fine gentleman).Incidentally also a tremendous speedway meeting the same evening for the Canadian Championship-Kyle Legault(over from Sheffield) was undefeated and broke the track record a couple of times-but everyone raced excellently with a lot of passing.A nice feature is that quite a few expat Poles were there and I had an interesting time talking to these folks about Plech.Jancarz,Sczakiel,Woryna etc and other Polish riders of that era. All in all a wonderful evening and any speedway fans from overseas would have a great time if they visited the Paris track(not that far from Niagara Falls or Toronto)

I know this because I'm married to him!!!

Say Hi to your ol' man from me as well he used to work for my Uncle at Arter Bros. :approve: