Screen

Stonehewer

Loram

Barker

Harris

Norris

Havelock

Howe

i reckon he looks into this forum too much...

eh, middlo???

Who else could he have chosen?

Our reserves from Monday night, Neil Collins & Graham Jones, perhaps.

Sam :lol:

I apologise if this offends anyone out there, as I don't mean to be such a doom and gloom merchant, but I have to say this if this is our squad, then I'm a little disappointed.

I personally was hoping for more "young 'un's" to be given the opportunity to travel with the squad. I thought that Mark Loram had asked not to be considered, as he did not want to ride in 5-man heats. So are we only going to use him in the opening round, and try to qualify straight to the final? I honestly can't see that happening, riding against who we are.

Havelock/Stonehewer and to a certain extent Screen, haven't really set the speedway world on fire this year either, and in all honestly probably haven't got many world cup's left in them. Again, I don't want to be negative, as I have enjoyed watching the likes of Shaggy for many years.

Let's be honest. I would love it if we won the world cup, but I really can't see it happening this year or in the near future. Why don't we do what Denmark have done. Assess the options, and bring youth through. There are plenty of young (ish) riders out there that, if they reach there potential, could ride at a very high standard for many years to come. So why not give them the opportunity to travel with the squad.

I'm not saying that the likes of Stead, Bird, Lanham, Allen, even Kennett et al should be representing the nations straight away, but they are the future of the sport, so give them the opportunity to experience the big time, break them in slowly so that they are not overawed when their time comes.

I just get the feeling that we are missing a very good opportunity here, and whilst we may have to accept that we may not be strong contenders in the short term (and lets be honest, we aren't really that at the moment anyway) this could help our long term chances.

Right, I've said my piece, I'll sit back and wait to be slapped down...

i'm inclined to back you up on this one.

we're going to struggle like hell to win this tournament and doing a 'Denmark' in my opinion would have been a good move.

all dogs have their day and all but Barker, Screen, Norris, Stonehewer and Havelock should not have been included in this squad.

another problem here though is the fact that the younger generation have been given the cushion of the double-up rule. if this hadn't of been implemented in the first place i think you'll find that the likes of Stead, Harris, Allen, Neath etc. would probably now be setting be the pace for the likes of Barker, Norris and Havelock to follow.

the sport in this country is again in need of a big shake-up and the first thing that has to go has to be the farcical double-up/down situation.

all dogs have their day and all but Barker, Screen, Norris, Stonehewer and Havelock should not have been included in this squad

this looks a kind of 'double-negative'....

so are you saying that the squad should have been the above mentioned and some youngsters?

I tend to agree with squatswithducks and kiddy kestrel. Seize the opportunity to give the youngsters valuable experience just leave Nicholls, Richardson and Havelock or Screen in to give the lads someone as a mentor and then let the kids enjoy themselves and get a feel for top class meetings. I wouldn't take Loram in a riding capacity, he clearly doesn't feel happy with it.

Let's face it Team GB or whatever they call themselves this season have no chance of winning the comp.

That's the team ...... now it's down to us to cheer them on :D

Oh well David Howe can be crossed off the list now with his broken ankle. :cry:

all dogs have their day and all but Barker, Screen, Norris, Stonehewer and Havelock should not have been included in this squad

this looks a kind of 'double-negative'....

so are you saying that the squad should have been the above mentioned and some youngsters?

the aforementioned five have IMO had their day and it our chances won't be harmed all that much harm if we sent the kids there.

however, i'm not Middlo and in no way will i even turn round and say 'i told you so'. my support goes to the lads , best of luck and let's see what we can do.

Anyone got anymore gossip on the Loram story? He can't be too chuffed having his name put down against his wishes surely?

LT.

Middlo obviously has persuasive powers :lol::lol:

If only for team back up it's good for Mark to be included don't ya think?

With all due respect to riders like Bird, Harris, Allen and Stead, when they have ridden in big meetings such as the British Final or the Test against RoWorld they haven't set the track alight. However, it would probably have been better to take them as the back up to the first choice 5/6 than riders like Havvy, Floppy etc.

I can't believe that Middlo thinks we can win the thing so why not use the opportunity to give a few more of the youngsters a taste of the atmosphere.

I guess Mark has been included to ride in the first meeting(4 per race)

Well, that's the side so they get my full noisey flag waving support.

Have to agree though that we shoud've gone for more youth, I'm sorry for one or two of the squad but thier time's over. At least some of the younger riders should've been given the experience and frankly, IMHO, choosing Norris defies logic.

But I'm happy if Loram's going, I'm hoping this means he'll ride in the early 4 man rouns because the guy is pure class. He's also a professional from whom the younger guys could learn a good deal.

Obviously poor David Howe will have to be replaced, ironic that the one really bright young inclusion gets injured - get well soon David.

Good luck guys.

Who do you think should be added to the squad, now that David Howe is injured? I reckon it should be Stuart Robson. He was in my squad that I picked on another thread.