British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

West Ham Stadium

Just looking up somethings and came across this :o Now i didn't think Johnnie Hoskins was involved in West Ham until a few years later.Nor i thought did he have the sort of money to build a 100,000 capacity stadium.Can't be right surely?

It was just by luck,looking for some details of the legendary Thames FC.I remember reading before that they played in a massive stadium.Didn't realise it was the speedway stadium

A good ariel photo of the stadium.Although i see the bloody link doesn't work :D

Edited by iris123

Just looking up somethings and came across this :o Now i didn't think Johnnie Hoskins was involved in West Ham until a few years later.Nor i thought did he have the sort of money to build a 100,000 capacity stadium.Can't be right surely?

It was just by luck,looking for some details of the legendary Thames FC.I remember reading before that they played in a massive stadium.Didn't realise it was the speedway stadium

A good ariel photo of the stadium.Although i see the bloody link doesn't work :D

From what I remember, West Ham (Custom House) was finished in 1928. Thames FC were the first tenants bu speedway under Jimmy Baxter started in July 1928, as I believe greyhounds did.

Johnnie Hoskins turned up some time later.

Over to Norbold!

Probably built by George Wimpey as was everything else in that era.

Incidentally, there was not an individual named George Wimpey. One explanation of the company name is that it meant We Import More Paddies Every Year, George was added for the obvious reason. Later the company was acquired by the Prudential Assurance Company whose chairman officially stated that Wimpey meant We Issue More Policies Every Year.

Apparently you pays you premium and you takes your choice!

Ron.

I understand that the actual stadium was designed by Archibald Leitch, but have no idea who the builders were.

As stated, it could have been George Wimpey company.

The famous Archibald Leitch.The man who designed quite a few superb football stadiums and Ibrox. :unsure:

And of course i wasn't looking for the company that built the stadium.But wondering who financed the building of it,in answer to the statement on the link.When they say it was "built by Johnnie Hoskins"i didn't believe that they meant he was out with his shovel and trowel building the place :blink:

Edited by iris123

The famous Archibald Leitch.The man who designed quite a few superb football stadiums and Ibrox. :unsure:

And of course i wasn't looking for the company that built the stadium.But wondering who financed the building of it,in answer to the statement on the link.When they say it was "built by Johnnie Hoskins"i didn't believe that they meant he was out with his shovel and trowel building the place :blink:

To be honest, I don't think Johnnie Hoskins had anything at all to do with the building or early promoting at West Ham. This was, I am positive, Jimmy Baxter who also devised the idea for league racing. In teh 1930s he promoted at speedway and midget cars at several tracks. In 1947 he brought Southampton back into the sport and, I think, also promoted at Plymouth.

My views on this subject are on my website

In 1928 Jim Baxter in conjunction with the Greyhound Racing Association set about constructing a Stadium at Custom House in the East End of London. Initially the construction ran behind schedule and Jim opened up operations at White City ( Glasgow) to accommodate the interest shown in the sport! Johnnie Hoskins writes in his History of the Hammers ' I well remember visiting West Ham in 1928, when Sprouts Elder, Paddy Dean and Manager Jimmy Baxter were busy laying the track, which was opened on the Saturday, July 28nd, at 2.45 p.m.’ It should be noted that the first Greyhound meeting took place on the 4th of August 1928.

I also have pages under construction but have made pictures available here

I am still looking for further detail on the subject!

I suspect this can be added to all the other claims made about Johnnie Hoskins

Archibald Leitch designed the Grandstands at various football grounds. I think he did the one at the Wellesley Ground, Great Yarmouth. It is reputed to be the oldest stand now in existence.

In the early post-war days an aerial photo of Custom House adorned the front cover of the programme.

Edited by star ghost

It looks like they have taken the info from the Newham site and an answer from Vic Dawe to the question about the stadium.Seems to be a bit of false info on the net,as yesterday on a Stock car site i saw they had the wrong piece of land listed as the site of the old New Cross stadium.

I've removed the reference to Johnnie Hoskins on the Wikipedia site.

I've removed the reference to Johnnie Hoskins on the Wikipedia site.

:o

You have that power?

I was looking for a link to say the info was wrong,but couldn't see anything.Other than to reply on the Newham site.Nice one Norbold ;)

Oh yeah,i know the point of wikepedia.Just didn't know you could change stuff without a cerstificate :blink::P

Oh yeah,i know the point of wikepedia.Just didn't know you could change stuff without a cerstificate :blink:  :P

All you need to do is register - then you can edit. I amended a reference to Ove Fundin's 1976 World championship win!

All you need to do is register - then you can edit. I amended a reference to Ove Fundin's 1976 World championship win!

Fair enough.But it leaves itself open for someone like Vic Dawe to come along later and put in a reference to Mr Hoskins again or Isambard Kingdom Brunel :D

Just imagined for something like that it would have to be checked before posted.

Anyone know much anything about Jimmy Baxter? And the history of the GRA?How did they become so powerful,opening up massive stadiums like this.I mean it must have been only rivalled by Wembley at the time.In the south at least