British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I would like to see which of these events will be televised first before I commit...

Any thoughts?

Bezza.

Edited by Bezza

Start Line Girls? It's political incorrectness gone mad!!  :mad:  :blink:  :D

Never mind start line girls, I see they are advertising the Fuel Girls as meeting entertainment. I have seen one of their more muted performances and family entertainment they aint. :lol:

Edited by judgejules

Start Line Girls? It's political incorrectness gone mad!!  :mad:  :blink:  :D

What no startline boys :o

Fine, so the organisation and marketing have been improved, there's a bit more entertainment on offer and the British Final top 5 can qualify for the GP stages, though the whole thing left me slightly underwhelmed.  I'd expected a more radical new range of competitions involving more tracks and more riders.  Too high expectations, I guess.  :unsure:

Lets be fair Andy, the sub committee that JC chaired probably had a pretty narrow brief in terms of what it could and couldnt do and it was perceived by many that the only thing wrong with these national events was the promotion. Whatever the rights and wrongs of that remit this does seem to be a step in the right direction, each event feeding of the marketing of the whole super7even is a good idea, clearly defined dates and criteria for selection and for lineups to be announced is good (OK the cynics may say there will be a 'subject to change' proviso but at least the powers that be are trying), many have called for 'additional attractions' and whilst everything will not be to everyones taste they cant be faulted for trying different things, also free entry for the under 11s at all meetings is great and may just go to prove a few promotions wrong that still fail to do this for league meetings, especially with the autograph signing session adding to the 'thrill' for the young (and not so young) uns

Lets hope the whole scheme is a success, probably requires at least 5 of the 7 to perform much better attendance wise, and then this group can go back to the BSPA in the autumn and say 'promotion does work' and start looking at league speedway and how better to move that forward

Edited by TonyM

Wasn't getting at JC, Tony - he's done very well within his brief, but I certainly think he could have been given greater scope to rethink the big events and plan ahead to deliver something even bigger and better for 2008, say.

Wasn't getting at JC, Tony - he's done very well within his brief, but I certainly think he could have been given greater scope to rethink the big events and plan ahead to deliver something even bigger and better for 2008, say.

Who said they are not planning for something bigger and better in 2008?

Not on here to defend JC, as he does most certainly have his faults, but I think in this case he has probably pushed the boat out as much as he could within what the BSPA would run with. As I said, lets hope it all comes off and he then can go back in the autumn with a big grin saying 'I told you so', and he seems just the sort of bloke to do just that, and is given a more of a free role for 2008

I think there are a number on here who would have been happy to have given him a blank sheet for 2007 but as ever the BSPA follows the conservative line unless given no option - there always seemed a bit of 'lets throw JC et al a bone to shut them up' about the whole sub committee anyway so I would imagine there are some promoters out there who probably think some of ideas for 2007 are too radical

The fans need to support the 07 events before any radical changes will be made for 08! It's good to hear that the SRA fully support the idea, at the end of the day it's up to the riders to put on a fantastic show to keep the fans happy and to get them to come back in 08. I hope the BSPA treat them fairly, they are, after all, the most important people in the sport!

SS - Im well aware of sheffields race night - but forgive me if Im mistaken but Saturday isnt Kings Lynn Race night, is it?

Think it's been widely considered as their off night for a couple of years now, although Friday was used a lot last year. Will be a nice to have something Speedway wise at Easter time. The stocks tend to take over! :(

As for Sheffield on a Thursday, well, I'm delighted! Not everyone has every weekend free. And some don't have any! Unless, they y'know, suddenly feel ill *cough*.

Putting the fixtures on a range of tracks and days allows a wider range of fans to visit these events. Hopefully! ;)

Thanks Sandie for placing these...but can I discuss them as a whole rather than individually?! I haven't got all the time in the world.. :unsure::)

I think the organisers are to be congratulated on the whole:

* Super7 is a nice bit of branding...links the events together well

* Well done too on putting together a decent website

* Autographs are a great idea...it's things like this that make speedway great..the riders are very accessible

But only half an hour allotted for this. Imagine the queues and how many supporters will line up only to be disappointed ? :unsure:

Cannot understand either why the ELRC will be held on a Thursday! :cry:

Edited by Pollyanna

I don't like the fact the ELRC is a Thursday and British Final is a monday. Do they not want people to go?!

Its a good start but the key now lies in the media coverage that must be generated around all the events and the level of presentation that is delivered at the events.

Ive said all along more time and effort needs to be put into the overall presentaion of these events so that the fans are catered for and entertained not just showen 20 heats of speedway.

I don't like the fact the ELRC is a Thursday and British Final is a monday. Do they not want people to go?!

In the Local paper is says that CVS would only run if it was on a monday. I guess they are banking on local support... :(

Fine, so the organisation and marketing have been improved, there's a bit more entertainment on offer and the British Final top 5 can qualify for the GP stages, though the whole thing left me slightly underwhelmed.  I'd expected a more radical new range of competitions involving more tracks and more riders.  Too high expectations, I guess.  :unsure:

Pretty much my feelings too.

I went to the London Bike Show today, and had a look at the stand. I have to say, for a national sport, it was terrible; one bike, one TV showing that awful sky summary over and over again, and a load of oh so unexciting pictures as a backdrop. And they were only pushing the Silly7evens. What about the three leagues without which there wouldnt be the other spin off events, do they not deserve promotions anymore??? I dispair of the BSPA,as they seem to have no idea when it comes to moving the sport forward and PROMOTING. I hoped that the influx of new promoters like Horton, Brimson, and thingemy at Lakeside would have a positive effect, and maybe hey wil in years to come, however at the moment I can't see it. Shame.