British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Cannot believe the British Final is at Wolverhampton - there will be very little racing at the dog track.

ELRC at Sheffield on a Thursday? What a total crock of cr*p on two counts.

One. Sheffield have shown scant regard for considering moving up into the elite league for years. Their promotion are backward thinking and would rather be kings of their own back yard than take the step up their fans demand. To give them such an event panders to promotions who lack any drive.

Two. A Thursday? Might be OK for the Sheffield fans, but who else is going to travel in mid week? Terrible decision. Next they will be announcing that Compton and Ashworth will be riding in it!

Cannot believe the British Final is at Wolverhampton - there will be very little racing at the dog track.

Methinks you protest too much as a Coventry fan. Monmore is just as good a racing track as any - in fact better than many, especially the narrow awkwardness of Brandon.

One. Sheffield have shown scant regard for considering moving up into the elite league for years. Their promotion are backward thinking and would rather be kings of their own back yard than take the step up their fans demand. To give them such an event panders to promotions who lack any drive.

Two. A Thursday? Might be OK for the Sheffield fans, but who else is going to travel in mid week? Terrible decision. Next they will be announcing that Compton and Ashworth will be riding in it!

Well, you're right on point two anyway..........

I'll be there!!

Hope to meet you there :)

Two. A Thursday? Might be OK for the Sheffield fans, but who else is going to travel in mid week?

Swindon at 6pm on a Sunday night isn't exactly ideal for a lot of PL fans either :rolleyes:

I dont think it is about the Sheffield promotion's ambition or lack of, it's about getting a neutral venue that will suit the occaision. Sheffield is fairly middle of the country, reasonably easy to get to, plenty of parking, good facilities, and if prepared right a great racetrack. I agree that Thursday is not the best day, but how many suitable / EL tracks are available on a weekend ?

Whinge Whinge it is a neutral track that they have chosen.

Didnt really prove what he said to be wrong though did you, the points SS made were pretty valid.

Edited by wjm

Two. A Thursday? Might be OK for the Sheffield fans, but who else is going to travel in mid week

Is the meeting anything to do with the Sheffield promotion though, won't the BSPA be taking all the monies?

At least all speedway fans have the dates in good time so that they can book time off work if they want to go to these meetings ....................... and anyway Shovlar, you're self employed aren't you so you can take off time just when you like!

They have had a very hard choice between credibility and crowd figures. Their way of thinking must be that Sheffield get decent growds, four figures and if they can get them to come out for it and add on 3 coaches loads of each Elite club. Then the added bonus of neutral like me who will make an effort to go this and maybe even the Premier/Conf in the area may be up for it. It's a calculated risk. Whether it's worth taking remains to be seen.

Yes, they have chosen a neutral track, which is a good idea. The problem for me is that this is the one event that I really like to attend. I remember the packed Stadium at the old Belle Vue in the 80s and the wonderful racing that made this event as big as the World Final.

But to stage it on a Thursday night is ridiculous! No way can I have the time off work and I just couldn't make it in time from Bournemouth. I am really disappointed. :cry: It has been on a Sunday for the past few years and with a start time of 4pm gives most of the fans time to get there and not too late for the homeward journey.

Is there an alternative day/date if is rained off?

Didnt really prove what he said to be wrong though did you, the points SS  made were pretty valid.

The meeting is run by the BSPA, not by Sheffield speedway we do not gain anything from.

Whether you like it or not Sheffield, stadium wise is up there near the top, and I have said this before the stadia plays a big part in staging big events whether you like or not.

I see the point that Sunday would be better, not quite sure why they have stuck with Thursday maybe the stadium is not available.

Yeah Brilliant for all the people who want to see their national champion being crowned.

Deary me

Maybe it should be at a weekend track instead then?

On paper it all looks impressive, some steep prices though for a few events - £20 for the ELRC? :blink:

Well done on getting Lucy for the British Final though. :approve:

It seems to need repeating:

The EL Pairs are @ KL on Easter Saturday, but this is before Poland & the GPs get going - hence the weekend date & the probability that the top riders will bother to turn out.

Unless you want the fiasco of last year & have the ELRC at the start of the season, complete with riders representing clubs they've hardly ridden for (Rickardsson's practice sessions with Oxford come to mind), you're left with two choices:

1) Hold the ELRC midweek & have a chance that the top men will actually turn out, or

2) Hold it at the weekend & have teams represented by second strings & reserves.

I guess there's always the further option of waiting until the GP series is finished, when the #1s will be tired & going on holiday or whatever: I seem to recall Davey Watt repesenting Ipswich a couple of years ago. Nice lad I'm sure, but not exactly adding prestige to the event.

Thursday's simply making the best of a bad job.

£20 admission? What do you expect? It's @ £15 for an EL match, so £20 doesn't seem bad IF the riders actually show some respect to those who pay their wages.