British Speedway Forum

Other changing the venue of the events, most back to places where they have been before , and failed, what has he done ?.

A change to a race format that should have been made about 5 years ago.

I am reading about big changes but not seeing them.

You've stiull not answered Spin Kings question...

It's all too easy to say 'it's all crap' but I don't hear you suggesting any alternatives!!!! :rolleyes:

Other changing the venue of the events, most back to places where they have been before , and failed, what has he done ?.

A change to a race format that should have been made about 5 years ago.

I am reading about big changes but not seeing them.

Yes all totally valid points, but what would you do, how would you turn things around, or are these events dead in the water as far as you are concerned.

It's all too easy to say 'it's all crap' but I don't hear you suggesting any alternatives!!!!  :rolleyes:

Its not my job to find alternatives is it , i am just a fan so what can i do to make a difference , any suggestions from " supporters " seem to fall on deaf ears.

For a start the alternative entertainment , is crap , cheesy and embarrassing , why does Speedway continue to attach its self to a Stigma that it has had like i say since the 80s, the Sport hasn't changed or evolved, it still wants to hang on to past glory to try and bring fans back that doesn't work.

Like has been mentioned several times, the venues and dates are shocking, Sheffiled on a Thursday night being the wost example, i know what line is coming in reply to this, the whole " you have plenty of time to make arrangements for it " , yes that is fair enough , but some fans don't, some cant take a half day to get there maybe more , i am sorry but JC is being called a fan friendly promoter, that isnt catering for Eastnourne,Poole,Reading,Arena, should i go on ? he has in one move wiped out the potenital of about 1,500 fans going to the meeting.

Edited by wjm

Yes all totally valid points, but what would you do, how would you turn things around, or are these events dead in the water as far as you are concerned.

Pretty much , how can you get the fans to go to events you dont know the riders will be at.

Its not my job to find alternatives is it , i am just a fan so what can i do to make a difference , any suggestions from " supporters " seem to fall on deaf ears.

For a start the alternative entertainment , is crap , cheesy and embarrassing , why does Speedway continue to attach its self to a Stigma that it has had like i say since te 80s, the Sport hasn't changed or evolved, it still wants to hang on to past glory to try and  bring fans back that doesn't work.

Like has been mentioned several times, the venues and dates are shocking, Sheffiled on a Thursday night being the wost example, i know what line is coming in reply to this, the whole " you have plenty of time to make arrangements for it " , yes that is far enough , but some fans, don't some cant take a half day to get there maybe more , i am sorry but JC  is being called a fan friendly promoter, that isnt catering for Eastnourne,Poole,Reading,Arena, should i go on ? he has in one move wiped out the potenital of about 1,500 fans going to the meeting.

I think the Thursday date has been arranged, because if you go for a Sunday you clash with the Polish League, which most of the riders ride so that would be the reason behind Thursday in Sheffield.

The cheesy entertainment, having never seen the Fuel Girls I cannot comment, as I have never seen them, seen there Website though, and would not say they are cheesy, very very different.

Geographically, well you are never going please everybody, Belle Vue, Wolves and Coventry could make the same complaints about haiving to go all the way down to Poole last season, and to be fair Poole had it last year and look at the fiasco that caused down there last year.

I think the Thursday date has been arranged, because if you go for a Sunday you clash with the Polish League, which most of the riders ride so that would be the reason behind Thursday in Sheffield.

The cheesy entertainment, having never seen the Fuel Girls I cannot comment, as I have never seen them, seen there Website though, and would not say they are cheesy, very very different.

Geographically, well you are never going please everybody, Belle Vue, Wolves and Coventry could make the same complaints about haiving to go all the way down to Poole last season, and to be fair Poole had it last year and look at the fiasco that caused down there last year.

That's a poor point mate for one , it will be the same riders at Sheffield so you could easily get the same fiasco and second more important, think to the last time Sheffield was on Sky for a riders championship , whats to stop that from happening again.

Fuel Girls, like i say that's the move to get them back in there thousands. :rolleyes:

Maybe just maybe ok, first and foremost this is what i would try and change.

First thing, the E.L.R.C should be in a riders team contract, that the rider should be there it should be there number one commitment when they sign for a team in this country.

The only reason they shouldn't be there is if they have a B.S.P.A picked Doctors line.

Fans of speedway want to see the best riders at the E.L.R.C we haven't had that guarantee for years, its hard to support an event that riders don't.

Basic things like that need to be put in place before any thing like Fuel Girls are.

Promoters should be made to run at least one bus to the meetings, whether they fill it or not is open to debate , but i am sure any Reading or Peter borough fan would agree on the affect it had on the Play Off Final.

I might get slated for this , but if you want to do something different, i would have designated team areas,which the event promotion would decorate, areas with a rider image like the pits at Reading and a team flag waving above it, a few free air horns, team flags for fans to wave, it would add colour at the event and look great on T.V, hey hows this for a revolution. ( yes this would leave areas of the stadium sparse ) but it would either build a very good atmosphere or poor, i know that Sheffield for the P.L.R.C when it was ran afternoon on a Sunday and attracted crowd created a superb atmosphere, mainly because it carried such a random mix of support.

Just my idea and yes it very much is open to criticism.

Edited by wjm

It's all too easy to say 'it's all crap' but I don't hear you suggesting any alternatives!!!!  :rolleyes:

we thought the alternatives were supposed to come the comittee set up to revolutionise the meetings, instead the revamp is to take us back to times when they werent succesful

Edited by The Third Man

Sheffiled on a Thursday night being the wost example

and as already quoted (and i asked JC this question myself the other day), the only way to try and guarantee getting the top riders there is to not have the meeting at a weekend.

if it's at a weekend, you will see a very half hearted effort by some riders at being available, and then what misses out?

answer, the sport.

if it's on a thursday, there are less excuses the riders can use.

that isnt catering for Eastnourne,Poole,Reading,Arena

ok fair enough, but what track will you get that will be able to satisfy the needs for supporters from EVERY EL club?

That's a poor point mate for one , it will be the same riders at Sheffield so you could easily get the same fiasco and second more important, think to the last time Sheffield was on Sky for a riders championship , whats to stop that from happening again.

Fuel Girls, like i say that's the move to get them back in there thousands.

Maybe just maybe ok, first and foremost  this iswhat i would try and change.

First thing, the E.L.R.C should be in a riders team contract, that the rider should be there it shouldbe there number one commitment when they sign for a team in this country.

The only reason they shoudnt be there is if they have a B.S.P.A picked Doctors line.

If you ask the riders to sign a contract to say that the ELRC is there number one commitment, then you might as well kiss goodbye to the Elite League, you would kill it, and then lose Sky to go with it.

Point taken about Sheffield and fiasco, and the fiasco at Poole, for the Sheffield part I hope lessons will be learnt about that one.

As for the entertainment I thought actually we were going to the speedway and the other entertainment was a side attraction.

If you ask the riders to sign a contract to say that the ELRC is there number one commitment, then you might as well kiss goodbye to the Elite League, you would kill it, and then lose Sky to go with it.

Justify that.

Maybe just maybe ok, first and foremost  this is what i would try and change.

First thing, the E.L.R.C should be in a riders team contract, that the rider should be there it should be there number one commitment when they sign for a team in this country.

The only reason they shouldn't be there is if they have a B.S.P.A picked Doctors line.

Fans of speedway want to see the best riders at the E.L.R.C  we haven't had that guarantee for years, its hard to support an even that riders don't.

Basic things like that need to be put in place before any thing like Fuel Girls are.

Promoters should be made to run at least one bus to the meetings, whether they fill it or not is open to debate , but i am sure any Reading or Peter borough fan would agree on the affect it had on the Play Off Final.

I might get slated for this , but if you want to do something different, i would have designated team areas,which the event promotion would decorate, areas with a rider image like the pits at Reading and a team flag waving above it, a few free air horns, team flags for fans to wave,  it would add colour at the event and look great on T.V, hey hows this for a revolution. ( yes this would leave areas of the stadium sparse ) but it would either build a very good atmosphere or poor, i know that Sheffield for the P.L.R.C when it was ran afternoon on a Sunday and attracted  crowd created a superb atmosphere, mainly because it carried such a random mix of support.

Just my idea and yes it very much is open to criticism.

Cannot disagree with the that with most of that last paragraph, and there are some excellent ideas there, maybe a free air horn to the kidds might be a good idea, but the Sunday afternoon I am afraid is a no goer.

I think though if Sheffield do not make a success of this event then I think that JC will look else where, if he is given a chance.

Justify that.

You are asking riders to jeopardise a lucrative contract say in Poland for one meeting, riders these days ride in 3 to 4 different leagues. They would just not do it.

You are asking riders to jeopardise a lucrative contract say in Poland for one meeting, riders these days ride in 3 to 4 different leagues. They would just not do it.

Like has been done then plan it so it doesnt clash , there is no excuse fo missing it IMO.

Like has been done then plan it so it doesnt clash , there is no excuse fo missing it IMO.

Poland run there meetings on a Sunday, most of the riders would be missing on that Sunday, only other way around is to have it middle of March, not a good idea I think.

Wouldn't get me. In fact it would put me off going as they don't sound much like family entertainment.

I think the whole lot should be put on the scrap heat - not the Fuel Girls :P - The E.L. Championship, The Best Pairs, P.L. Championship, British Final....

Time to let them quietly slip away as they don't really mean anything now the G.P's have taken over every couple of weeks throughout the season.

Who really cares who is E.L. Champion or which team has the best pair of riders? Sorry but not me.

I guess I'd better borrow Trackman's tin hat now. :D