British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Wildest Rider In The Provincial League

While there are a number of candidates for this I would have to say my nomination would be Chris Blewett anybody remember him on the track-another contender would be Bill Andrews also Clive Featherby-any thoughts out there on this.

While there are a number of candidates for this I would have to say my nomination would be Chris Blewett anybody remember him on the track-another contender would be Bill Andrews also Clive Featherby-any thoughts out there on this.

I nerver saw Clive Featherby, or should I say that I am too young to remember him, but I know that he tells me that Clive was a rider that never took no prisoners.

I'd agree with Chris Blewett, BOBBATH. I don't think there's any need to look further!

Vic Lonsdale used to frighten the life out of me :o

I can't remember Bill Andrews being wild, Vic Lonsdale now you are talking.

Sure his nickname was Wildman.

Perhaps ruthless rather than wild would have been a better description of Bill Andrews-I remember a huge punch up he had with Peter Vandenberg at Newport in 1965-also see Simmo's book page 43-44

I would have to say my nomination would be Chris Blewett anybody remember him on the track ........

Certainly do, it was worth the admission just to watch Chris's antics. Barry Briggs once said of Chris," He would rather have him 50 yards behind him, but did not mind to much if he was fifty yards in front, as long as he wasn't near him".

His best season saw him manage just under a 6pt average - but on entertainment value he was the tops.

Certainly do, it was worth the admission just to watch Chris's antics. Barry Briggs once said of Chris," He would rather have him 50 yards behind him, but did not mind to much if he was fifty yards in front, as long as he wasn't near him".

His best season saw him manage just under a 6pt average - but on entertainment value he was the tops.

Hmmm, yes, entertaining is one word to describe him!

Sorry, but I think he "crossed the line" from entertainer to being a sometimes dangerous rider. He certainly did a very good impression of being out of control!

Good to watch - but always the fear that someone was going to get badly injured.

Just my opinion!

May be a bit before many people's time. And indeed only a bit part rider in those days.

But having seen him ride, and know him well personally, I can vouch for one CYRIL CRANE.

He was very enthusiastic, bit invariably forgot to turn left after the start. he could manage Norwich with its wide open spaces, Yarmouth was a different matter.

always value for money dear old Cyril

Gosh indeed that's a name from the past I think he became a team manager later and was the uncle of David Crane-how are Cyril and David these days -well and in good health I hope.

How about the Finnish rider Antti Pajari who rode for Coventry in 1959? To say that he was "wild and woolly" is to put it mildy. But what a wonderful personality both on and off the track. But, of course, he was never in the Provincial League so doesn't really count.

I agree - Chris Blewett is the only contender for this title. Some of the others were very spectacular (Vic Lonsdale and Slant Payling for example) but Chris Blewett was in a whole class of his own. I remember him riding for Glasgow but most of all for Exeter along with Jim Squibb and Chris Julian! Care to upset that team Mr Pedersen?

Bill Andrew later became a favourite at Poole and I know he frequently "upset" opposition riders.

Good old days!

I agree - Chris Blewett is the only contender for this title. Some of the others were very spectacular (Vic Lonsdale and Slant Payling for example) but Chris Blewett was in a whole class of his own. I remember him riding for Glasgow but most of all for Exeter along with Jim Squibb and Chris Julian! Care to upset that team Mr Pedersen?

Bill Andrew later became a favourite at Poole and I know he frequently "upset" opposition riders.

Good old days!

I think Sandor Levai took some beating though and at a guess he rode at Stoke before moving up to Belle Vue!

Both Cyril & David Crane are alive and well living locally in the Norwich area.

Sandor wasn't wild, he was hard and gave nothing away unless the opposition proved harder.

Another like Sandor was the afore-mentioned Clive Featherby who now spends a fair bit of time in Australia

Both Cyril & David Crane are alive and well living locally in the Norwich area.

Sandor wasn't wild, he was hard and gave nothing away unless the opposition proved harder.

Another like Sandor was the afore-mentioned Clive Featherby who now spends a fair bit of time in Australia

Genno sorted Featherby out in a punch up at Oxford