British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

Going back to my schooldays now but for a short spell at Hackney the teams came on parade to the tune of the old Harringay Racers (which was long closed by that stage) then they developed the idea and made a record of there own called "The Hackney Hawks" but the lyrics weren't very imaginative. The only bit that I can remember went on the lines of "The tapes go up and they're off like a gun, they don't give up till the race has been won". Don't think they even play at Sid and Doris Bonkers wedding anniversary these days though. Shame really. It's just what's needed at Cardiff.

Monday Monday....The Mamas and Papas.

A lazy choice by the people at Reading all those years back, but it just stuck in my head from day one.

Not that it gets much airplay these days, but any time i hear it, i'm transported back to my early days in the sport in 1990...

Jeremy Doncaster

Dave Mullett

Jan Andersson

Tony Olsson

Per Jonsson

Nathan Murray

Todd Wiltshire

A double winning team in my first year, and the only reason i got to watch the sport was because i was a bad boy at school and my mum and dad wanted me to get in to something which wasnt smoking or bunking off.

Thanks to my good friend Skids, i'm celebrating the 23rd anniversary of watching the amazing Per Jonsson and Todd Wiltshire in their world final glory.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet and i can't believe i'd forgotten about it, a song that received a fair bit of radio air play was 'Speedway' by the Kursaal Flyers'

Some of the lyrics.. ..

My bike is getting rusty now the one my fans admire

The track is getting dusty and my agent just got fired

And i don't think i can make it cos i'm feeling kind of tired

I'm feeling pretty shaky and my hands are getting sore

And i feel like i'm nearly eighty though i'm only twenty-four

And i don't want to ride the speedway any more

Where's my little siren now she ain't coming back

We was going to marry but one of us just had to crack

That's another reason i'm not out there on that track

Last night i dreamed i was riding for the Aces

I hit the bend i looked up i saw their faces

Then i saw my siren's face through the dusty screen

I hit the fence a wheel came loose...(???)...off my machine

Riders were all flashing past i couldn't hear a sound

I was lying on the dusty track a crowd had gathered round

The doctors said there ain't no hope the agony just grew

Then i saw my little siren's face i knew that i'd pull through

• Like 1

For the oldies ". The Post Horn Gallop" at Wembley as the riders came out on the track At the end of the race a cannon used to go off.

For the not quite so oldies "A walk in the black forest " at Ipswich.

[/quote

roll along Wembley lions roll along

to the top of the table where you belong

jackey parker hes ok but

its bill kitchen all the way

Going back to my schooldays now but for a short spell at Hackney the teams came on parade to the tune of the old Harringay Racers (which was long closed by that stage) then they developed the idea and made a record of there own called "The Hackney Hawks" but the lyrics weren't very imaginative. The only bit that I can remember went on the lines of "The tapes go up and they're off like a gun, they don't give up till the race has been won".

"Come On Chaps, Turn on The Taps" - was another line!

The 1934 hit song by Al Bowlly 'Marching Along Together' with the Ray Noble Orchestra. It was the theme song at New Cross during the Fred Mockford promotional era from 1934 to 1953. Al died when a German bomb dropped on a London West End night club during WW2.

Edited by Guest

Monday Monday....The Mamas and Papas.

A lazy choice by the people at Reading all those years back, but it just stuck in my head from day one.

Not that it gets much airplay these days, but any time i hear it, i'm transported back to my early days in the sport in 1990...

Jeremy Doncaster

Dave Mullett

Jan Andersson

Tony Olsson

Per Jonsson

Nathan Murray

Todd Wiltshire

A double winning team in my first year, and the only reason i got to watch the sport was because i was a bad boy at school and my mum and dad wanted me to get in to something which wasnt smoking or bunking off.

Thanks to my good friend Skids, i'm celebrating the 23rd anniversary of watching the amazing Per Jonsson and Todd Wiltshire in their world final glory.

Monday Monday reminds me of Wolverhampton speedway... it was at the top of the charts when I first went to Wolverhampton . I think it was their signature tune at that time....Probably went to see Tommy Roper doing one of his World Champ Qualifying rounds......

Runaway by Del Shannon.....My own favourite song, along with a couple of posters on here as well.

Yes, the one thing we have in common, Tsunami!

"Come On Chaps, Turn on The Taps" - was another line!

That was from the Harringay song:

"2-4-6-8, Who do we appreciate?

Who? The Harringay Racers.

2-4-6-8, Waiting at the starting gate.

Who? The Harringay Racers.

Come on chaps and turn on the taps

Take the right line all along the white line.

Who do we want to see, him and you and me?

Vic, Vic, Vic for victory!"

Vic being a reference to captain, Vic Duggan of course.

• Like 1

Can't let maggie go . the Hoineybus . always reminds me of going to away matches at kings lynn

Sadly I think I will be the only one who remembers this-go back to Newport in 1964-65 and I always associate the Moody Blues "From the Bottom of My heart" with that time-if you've never heard it go to Youtube

Telstar by the Tornados always reminds me of the last last few years at the Firs stadium, home of the great Norwich Stars!