British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Coventry Bees Early 60's

What a team they were!! Anyone know where Ron Mountford and Rick France are these days. I always recall Ron who was a real tough s.o.b wearing contact lenses -unusual for those times. Ron made the World Final in 1962 and Rick made it in 1967-I saw him in the British Final at West Ham that year and what a tremendous meeting that was. Anybody out there in forum land recall that meeting-real hot weather and very dusty. Last time I was in UK walked from Plaistow Underground station down to the site of the old West Ham stadium-Nottingham St., etc-brought back old memories but my, how the old East End has changed -the Kray twins must be turning in their graves!!! I also think the Krays might be frightened by some of the new inhabitants in the old areas(don't report me to the British Human Rights Commission for these views!!!)

• Like 1

Although I don't recall the meeting personally, I do have Speedway Star with the report of the 1967 British Final. Barry Briggs won it. France came 5th with 11.

The comment in the magazine about Rick France says: The number one surprise qualifier and the most courageous rider of the night. Rick had the dislocated shoulder he sustained at Hackney ten days earlier well strapped and padded and still rode suberbly. His heat 1 scrap with Boocock was one of the best races of the night and while he was never content with second place he finished in front only once - when he beat Eric Boocock. We should all be thankful that we have riders with the guts of Rick France at Wembley.

According to the report, the track was excellent - so good that riders rarely made mistakes so the quality of racing was something of a disappointment. Nigel Boocock broke the track record in that opening heat with France when he finished in a time of 71.2, yet failed to qualify.

• Like 1

What a team they were!! Anyone know where Ron Mountford and Rick France are these days. I

Ron Mountford passed away in 1993.

Rick France is still about

Edited by frigbo

Anyone remember Pete Bailey? As I recall, he died in a car crash and Coventry speedway set up a dependents fund for him in about 1972. He was a very promising young rider.

Anyone remember Pete Bailey?  As I recall, he died in a car crash and Coventry speedway set up a dependents fund for him in about 1972.  He was a very promising young rider.

Pete Bailey was killed in 1974 in a car accident just outside Brandon Stadium if i remember rightly.

He was an ex Ipswich and Birmingham rider.

Guest sjl

Does anyone know what became of Tony Lomas? My (ELDER) sister remembers him riding for Coventry but has been unable to find out what happened to him.

Ron Mountford passed away in 1993.

Rick France is still about

Was not Ron Mountford the father of Stuart Mountford who rode for Stoke I believe in the 70's.

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure Stuart Mountford was Australian.

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure Stuart Mountford was Australian.

Always thought that Stuart Mountford was a son of an ex rider, and yes Stuart was an Aussie

Stuart Mountford was/is Phil Herne's cousin.

Remember rick from what was probably the best ever sheffield team in 1973, great entertainer

Pete Bailey was killed in 1974 in a car accident just outside Brandon Stadium if i remember rightly.

He was an ex Ipswich and Birmingham rider.

That is correct. Pete was a local lad, and came through the second halves. He along with several of our 'juniors' went out to National League or BL11 as it was then as well. Harry and Bailey were at Ipswich. Bailey also at Brum for a spell before that.

It was during 72/73 when injuries really hit us, and I think Bailey came in and scored heavily on his full debut. Then we had to recall him.

Tragically he was killed just outside the stadium in a head on crash. Whilst driving.

Tony Lomas was a factory test rider for Triumph. He was electric from the starts...He came through second halves as well, and was at Plymouth before being called up for Coventry.

After several seasons with the Bees he was transfered to Exeter along in the days of Autrey and Mauger at The County fround. He wasn't quite as good and eventually moved around a little before retiring.

He was good friends with Jim Lightfoot and I think they were involved in business together in the Antiques trade at one point.

Ron Mountford did alas pass away. The Crash at Newport in 69 (I think) virtually finished him as a rider. He was in his 40"s then

I was also asked about Colin Cottrell....If you are reading this. Colin transfered out to Oxford in 71 when we brought in Jan Simmensen under rider control I believe. He had one season with the Cheetahs and retired at the end of 72. I believe he emigrated to South Africa (not sure) and died in the late 70's I think. He had Lukemia (sp)

Colin was another from the 2nd halves that was taken under Booey's wings in the 60's.

Lots of memories of the 60's onwards I am now relocated and living in the Philippines where when it rains there would be no doubt about a meeting....Were there any...It'd be off. But mainly its hot and sunny :)

Was back there July last year. Hope to be back again soon...MAYBE THIS YEAR but if not then NEXT.

Follow the Bees live here at 4am onwards match days! How's that for sore eyes Bryn...:)

Up the Bees - Hi Gemini day woof t the dogs

Guest sjl
That is correct. Pete was a local lad, and came through the second halves. He along with several of our 'juniors' went out to National League or BL11 as it was then as well. Harry and Bailey were at Ipswich. Bailey also at Brum for a spell before that.

It was during 72/73 when injuries really hit us, and I think Bailey came in and scored heavily on his full debut. Then we had to recall him.

Tragically he was killed just outside the stadium in a head on crash. Whilst driving.

Tony Lomas was a factory test rider for Triumph. He was electric from the starts...He came through second halves as well, and was at Plymouth before being called up for Coventry.

After several seasons with the Bees he was transfered to Exeter along in the days of Autrey and Mauger at The County fround. He wasn't quite as good and eventually moved around a little before retiring.

He was good friends with Jim Lightfoot and I think they were involved in business together in the Antiques trade at one point.

Ron Mountford did alas pass away. The Crash at Newport in 69 (I think) virtually finished him as a rider. He was in his 40"s then

I was also asked about Colin Cottrell....If you are reading this. Colin transfered out to Oxford in 71 when we brought in Jan Simmensen under rider control I believe. He had one season with the Cheetahs and retired at the end of 72. I believe he emigrated to South Africa (not sure) and died in the late 70's I think. He had Lukemia (sp)

Colin was another from the 2nd halves that was taken under Booey's wings in the 60's.

Lots of memories of the 60's onwards I am now relocated and living in the Philippines where when it rains there would be no doubt about a meeting....Were there any...It'd be off. But mainly its hot and sunny :)

Was back there July last year. Hope to be back again soon...MAYBE THIS YEAR but if not then NEXT.

Follow the Bees live here at 4am onwards match days! How's that for sore eyes Bryn...:)

Up the Bees - Hi Gemini day woof t the dogs

Thank you for that information I will pass that on to my sister and it will fill the gaps she has with the Cov Bees team when she follwed them. :)

Peter Bailey's car crash was on a night the Bees were to ride Kings Lynn. I still have the "Tape-a-Sport" cassette tape of the meeting

Up the Bees - Hi Gemini day woof to the dogs....

Hi Bee. Hope you are well.

See you sometime in 2007 or 8. :)