British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gbr135

Romford Bombers

Anyone interestad there is a new website www.romfordbombers.co.uk up and running, its still under construction but worth a visit for those of us who remember them, and of course for those that don't.

Excellent site. Brings back many memories:

"Give us a B - S

Give us an O - R

Give us an M - E

Give us a B - B

Give us an E - M

Give us an R - O

Give us an S - B

What have we got? - SREBMOB"

I remember the first bend war cry well!

Happy days at Brooklands... :)

It's a bit of a coincidence, you putting that link up today. Yesterday I was having a lunchtime read of the Speedway Star and a guy I work with noticed this and commented on it.

Then he said: 'I used to know a guy called Kevin Holden.' He was amazed that I'd heard of him and knew about his accident. Apparently he went to school with him. Next time I see him I'll show him the site.

Don't suppse there is any chance of a 'Bombers' logo as an avatar is there ?

I think the most exciting 'bomber' ws Brian Foote.

That great Scot - Ross Gilbertson

That great Scot - Ross Gilbertson

Who did Canterbury proud too :!:

Guest Kev The Brummie

Back in 1971, or was it 72? The Brummies signed Terry Shearer from the Bombers and at last we had a rider who was capable of winning heat 1 ! Very quick out of the traps but tended to fade as the meet progressed.

Just been looking at the team pics, nice to see Ted Howdoyougo's tash again!

Cheers. Kev...

My father introduced me to Speedway racing at Brooklands Stadium in 1971. Oh what great memories of those Romford Bombers and in particular my favourite riders who were Kevin Holden, Brian Foote and Charlie Benham.

There always seemed to be plenty of exciting racing with riders frequently falling off. I seem to remember an Australian rider, Bruce Edgar, who had great difficulty in negotiating the first bend let alone completing four laps !

I also remember a very controversial match against Hull when Tony Childs was excluded for clashing with Brian Foote, I think Foote broke his collarbone as a result. How the crowd booed Mr Childs for the rest of the meeting.

Halcyon days

Looking at the programme for the last meeting at Brooklands for 1970, I was taken by the Eastbourne line up. The fixture was a challenge match between 2 Division two sides.

How about this for an Eastbourne line up

1.Dave Jessup

2. laurie Simms

3.John Louis

4.Gordon Kennet

5.Reg Trott ©

6.Phil Pratt

7.Dave Kennet

Three of the above mentioned in the Best rider never to win the world title thread! http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forum/view...=asc&highlight=

Can anyone give me the actual address where Romford used to be. Im a regular vistor to Romford and would dearly love to see what used to be the stadium site. I know its at Brooklands but does anyone have the actual address?

Can anyone give me the actual address where Romford used to be. Im a regular vistor to Romford and would dearly love to see what used to be the stadium site. I know its at Brooklands but does anyone have the actual address?

If you travel out of Romford along North Street you will find Brooklands Approach

opposite the bus garage, or Brooklands lane just past Como Street next to Matalan (This was the way I used to use) both routes take you over the river Rom!

the old stadium is no longer there. Now flats i think! you will also find Brooklands Rd off of Como Street (approach all on foot I would recommend)

The only footage I have seen from Romford is on my Days Gone By series, it's aaginst Crewe, only 30-40 seconds but great stuff. Have away footage at Eastbourne and Plymouth 69, Rayleigh and Rye House 70/71. and Westham Bombers 72 v Hull. :)

Edited by tape2tapevideo

Romford Speedway is featured in the 'Pocket Sized History of Defunct Speedway Tracks' series, number 7, probably still available. Gives a brief history of every season, pictures, results etc.

Regards