British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

I'm Still Alive In 65

While I'm on the subject-are Bryan Elliott(the first ever NL rider I saw) and Jim Lightdfoot(Capn' Jim)-still around-two world finalists when it was really tough to get to the World Final. Weren't those early sixties great-beam me back there Scotty!!!!

Not sure about Jim Lightfoot but understand Bryan lives in Australia(from Speedway in Leicester "The Hunters Era" by Alan Jones)

I believe Jim Lightfoot is still around too and living in Coventry.

While I'm on the subject-are Bryan Elliott(the first ever NL rider I saw) and Jim Lightdfoot(Capn' Jim)-still around-two world finalists when it was really tough to get to the World Final. Weren't those early sixties great-beam me back there Scotty!!!!

This thread reminds me of my first visit to Wembley Stadium (No roof) in September 1960. Bob Andrews and Bryan Elliott were reserves and I think Bob had 1 ride for 2 points.

3-Way tie on 14 points Fundin/Moore/Craven. Fundin won and Moore 2nd with Craven nearly crashing but finished 3rd.

Best wsihes

Brian

Bryan Elliott actually qualified for the final, he wasn't just a reserve. This was my first year of going to speedway and Bryan's achievement in reaching the final even though he was only the Leicester reserve at the time, is something I always remember. It would be almost impossible for this to happen these days under the grand prix system, which, in that sense, has taken much of the romance out of the World Championship.

I believe Jim Lightfoot is still around too and living in Coventry.

Jim Lightfoot had an antigues shop in Coventry. Last I heard of him is that he is still in the Coventry area.