British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Custom House Kid

Poor World Team Cup !

Who thinks the World Team cup has been poor so far :!:

Early exit USA :-(

Event One. Processional and boring (apart from Joonas :) ) :-(

Event two. Good fight between GB and Australia :D But no other interest ! :-(

Was this event promoted in Denmark or are, all the Danes on holiday ! (Lets avoid the site of empty stadiums again on flagship events) :evil:

In my opinion, the number of teams should be reduced from twelve to eight. There's just not enough teams that can compete with the top countries. I would like to see two semi-finals of four, with the top two going through to the final.

It's a shame that some riders don't want to represent their country. Take Germany for example. They have riders like Gerd Riss and Robert Barth, but they won't ride. With their strongest team, Germany would do so much better.

The Speedway World Cup isn't as good as it should be. The format needs looking at and and ALL the countries need to take it serious, not treat it as just another meeting. This year, the crowds haven't been that good so far. Whether it's down to poor advertising or over-priced tickets, I don't know.

It might help some of the "best" riders to join in if BSI actually "paid" some decent expenses out. They seem happy to take the plaudits but don't want to part with the dosh.

Event One. Processional and boring (apart from Joonas :) ) :-(

Did you think so? I really enjoyed that first meeting - thought there was plenty of good racing for positions particularly for 2nd and 3rd places.

I agree with Peter about reducing the number of countries - look at last night it was like 2 separate meetings going on. Perhaps really make it a team cup by putting eight teams into 2 leagues of 4 and have a mini league over the first 3 days each team meeting each other in their league with the top 2 going forward into a semi and then a final.

Perhaps really make it a team cup by putting eight teams into 2 leagues of 4 and have a mini league over the first 3 days each team meeting each other in their league with the top 2 going forward into a semi and then a final.

That sounds like a brilliant idea. It would certainly keep interest for losing countries longer. Best of all it would avoid these 5 man races.

A lot of the racing on Sunday was good - I certainly found it entertaining.

Yesterday was spoiled a bit by the USA's no-show; obviously Italy weren't competitive, but the battle between the Aussies and the Brits was riveting stuff.

With a bit of tweaking, the WTC will be a great competition, and a great addition to the speedway calender.

Just like the GP's, it's here to stay and I, for one, will be delighted.

Sam.

Like the British GP the cost of admission for the Danes is ridiculous.....this reflects in the attendance. If BSI aren't careful they will shoot themselves in the foot. PUT THE BLOODY PRICES DOWN YOU FOOLS!

I personally wish that Ole Olsen would leave the track alone after practice .....

All the riders said it was better in practice. Crumpy claimed there were plenty of lines around the boards or on the inside in the afternoon.

Ole must of thought it was a one day track again .. :-))) there was only one racing line last night ... Although the Aus vs GB battle was intruiging.

What a crock crowd ... if the Denmark team had not turned up ... there would of been more officials and riders than crowd .. No wonder nobody wants to sponsor the event !!!

[quote="rabbit

Did you think so? I really enjoyed that first meeting - thought there was plenty of good racing for positions particularly for 2nd and 3rd places.

I agree with Peter about reducing the number of countries - look at last night it was like 2 separate meetings going on. Perhaps really make it a team cup by putting eight teams into 2 leagues of 4 and have a mini league over the first 3 days each team meeting each other in their league with the top 2 going forward into a semi and then a final.

What a great idea!!!!!

Would be much more entertaining.Imagine a Pool A and a Pool B consisting of 4 teams each.We could run two matches - one from each Pool - per day over three days with the top two from each going forward to the semis,culminating in a Grand Final preceded by a third place play-off match.

This would give us ten matches to watch over a five day period and each match could be run in the same way as our League Matches are run.We could have seven man Teams which gives us a chance to blood the youngsters, and if each Team took a squad of say ten riders then there would be cover for any injuries.

I think this would be more entertaining than the one man per race format we have now.

I'm enjoying it CHK, much better than the Arena Vs Ippo match! :lol:

Last nights meeting was the most I've shouted since Cardiff. I thought the lads done us proud AND :shock: I actually thought that Scott was the only Brit who didn't ride to his full potential. Can't wait for the next one. Come on Poland 8)

QUOTE ("rabbit

[/color)

What a great idea!!!!!

Would be much more entertaining.Imagine a Pool A and a Pool B consisting of 4 teams each.We could run two matches - one from each Pool - per day over three days with the top two from each going forward to the semis,culminating in a Grand Final preceded by a third place play-off match.

This would give us ten matches to watch over a five day period and each match could be run in the same way as our League Matches are run.We could have seven man Teams which gives us a chance to blood the youngsters, and if each Team took a squad of say ten riders then there would be cover for any injuries.

I think this would be more entertaining than the one man per race format we have now.

Nice in theory, but in practice its a big no-no.

Imagine say an Australia v Slovenia match. It would be an absolute walkover and would be of little interest to anyone.

The current format means there will always be at least two decent teams in each meeting and with TV people to please too, a meeting with 4 or 5 teams is always more attractive to an international audience.

I suppose like any World Cup event,the action will really hot up when we get to the business end of the week.

I think the Final will be an absolute corker.

I'm enjoying it CHK, much better than the Arena Vs Ippo match! :lol:

I suppose Team GB did put up more of a fight than IPPO did :!: :P;)

Well I'm looking forward to saturday :)

btw

I do approve of the introductory music - but would prefer the original Led Zep version, rather than the Godzilla - Puff Daddy version ...

Oh and the riding between GB and Auz was brill ... :)

so what is the title music called then??