British Speedway Forum

Worst track at brandon for a long time, well done to the boys, some of the gates they made were excellent.

Nicholls was fantastic, Swedes were very very lucky with the amount of stoppages when they were in poor positions. Well done to the gb boys

I know that there has been much questioning of the inclusion of Mikael Max in the Swedish team last night but as a blinkered Wolves fan I have to say I enjoyed seeing him back in action

Not so sure about the inclusion of Magnus Karlsson though (even from a blinkered Wolves fan point of view :lol: ) Does anyone else think that when AJ dropped out and Max came in the Swedes thought they'd save themselves a few bob and select a reserve who wouldn't have far to travel :lol:

Anyway, enough of this Sweden natter. Much as I enjoyed Wolves taking on Team GB, Russia and Greg Hancock last night ( :lol: ) and cheered them all the way, big congratulations to Team GB on a very professional performance and big thumbs up to the Russians too for being very entertaining :approve:

Edited for time travel

Edited by Vic Ridgeon

I know that there has been much questioning of the inclusion of Mikael Max in the Swedish team last night but as a blinkered Wolves fan I have to say I enjoyed seeing him back in action

Not so sure about the inclusion of Magnus Karlsson though (even from a blinkered Wolves fan point of view  :lol: ) Does anyone else think that when AJ dropped out and Max came in the Swedes thought they'd save themselves a few bob and select a reserve who wouldn't have far to travel  :lol:

well there are other riders who are in a better form and they have equipment in Britain as well, Zetterström, Kim Jansson and Stefan Andersson who all are better then MK and possibly also MM.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Well done to the GB boys - excellent performance from the inspirational skipper topped by his fantastic pass inside Greg. Particularly pleased to see young Kennett ride so well and did he look like he really wanted it after that first victory. I for one was a little worried before hand as for some reason he has really struggled in the past at Brandon on a track not that dissimilar to Poole. If the boys can ride like this on Saturday perhaps they can just pull of a surprise???

Agreed it was not the best racing track at Brandon this year, however does everyone realize that only 4 or miles away the Heavens opened and had that happenened over Coventry Stadium the match could not have continued have it been heavily laid in shale. Whether it was Olsen infuence or not it was shrewd not to make it too deep and to ensure that the meeting could complete without many people being sent home some long distances following a rainoff.

Good crowd, nice and noisy...great sweets, nice and juicy...good friends, nice and stupid.

Right back at ya!! :D

Unfortunately I then had my night ended by an articulated truck removing the left hand side of my van, fortunately no-one was sat there ! ...never mind, it didn't ruin the night

:o:(

Firstly he was 3rd when all hell broke lose to get the re-run and secondly, he crashed as Kerr crashed yet got back in the re-run.  I wonder if those at the trakc who look at me in astonishment when I pointed out only Chris Kerr was excluded will realise I was right with the benefit of the same replay?!

I called that on the terrace. Mr Turner didn't agree!! :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The track was completely different to normal, and much worse for it. It was a nothing track early on with only one line. Very boring for the first half, with only Jonas providing a real race. It got better as the little bit of dirt there was started to move out. It did at least mean it was worth chasing it up to the fence. Still, the flip side is that it made the track easier to ride. That worked out well for the Russians (may not have gone so well had it been as grippy as usual), and also for Lee and Ed.

Lee - Crap first ride, but did a really good solid job after that.

Ed - Mostly a great performance from him, with a couple of blips. Good to see him ride well and gain confidence at this level. I hope he can take it into the final and get stuck in.

Steady - Similar to Ed in that there were a couple of blips, but very much job done. On the whole a great performance. Needs more grip to come from the back because he hasn't got the outright speed that Chris and Scott displayed.

Chris - Only slipped up once, but was pure class apart from that. Almost certain to have scored a maximum on a normal Brandon race surface. You have to have seen his 3rd/4th bend blasts to believe he could have done it on the last lap.

Scott - Superb display. Absolutely stunning. Very few people even get near Greg once he gets clear around Brandon let alone 'do' him like Scotty did. That last race burst from the back from class as well. Is the real Scotty Nicholls back with us? Well he certainly seems to have found that little extra that's been missing all season. Well done Scotty.

Greg and Billy - Below par. Greg only won two heats. That's poor by his standards when you consider other points he dropped. Billy should be scoring about 6 or 7 at this level really.

The other Americans all had a go and were generally in the mix on the first lap. They just lacked speed, and couldn't stay with the pace.

Denis - Superb display. The cheers/congratulations for him were almost as loud as for the maximum by Scotty.

Emil - It's a shame he got a bit over-excited a couple of times. He could have easily added quite a few points to his haul. Great to watch.

The rest of the Russians were there or thereabouts all night, and helped justify their place in the race-off. Really entertaining racing from all of them. Even Danil getting stuck in when called on.

Freddie - Got the job done. We wondered which Freddie would turn up. Somewhere in between. A couple of dodgy rides thrown in to what was a good night on the whole.

PK - Read Greg. Below his best. Will/should be disappointed.

Antonio - Sorry to see him get hurt, but he hasn't improved his Brandon form much. Really did get himself in a knot when he took the knock.

Jonas - You'd have long odds on him top scoring. If he doesn't start showing this form in the EL whoever he's riding for at the time should tell him to sort or quit. He showed what he's capable of, and that's should be his target every time he steps over a bike from now on. Superb display of racing from him. I've never seen him ride and race anything like that.

Pepsi and Magnus - Might not have done much but I'm can't see anyone else doing any better. The Pepsi was a bit flat but still picked up some useful points. Magnus is pretty good at Brandon. He had a tough opening ride. He came in at heat 15(?) when everyone else was dialled in, and had to face Greg and Scott(?). In his next ride he took a very creditable 2nd. I don't see why he's been dis'd so much.

will be funny later, everyone will be going completely over the top if GB win comfortably, and so they should ... look at the group they're in, then look at the group from Saturday, considerably easier tonight.

really looking forward to seeing the Russians, there's a couple in there that could cause a suprise or two, but Team GB should get high 50's or more points.

and so it begins ....

Jonathan Green tells Nicholls rather enthusiastically that GB won more races than Denmark did in their semi ... does Green not realise the difference between Australia & Poland, compared to Sweden (minus Jonsson), Russia and USA :blink:

wonder if they'll win more races than Denmark when they have to contend with Gollob & co, Crump, Adams, or even the Russians on a more suitable track.

Well done to the GB boys - excellent performance from the inspirational skipper topped by his fantastic pass inside Greg. Particularly pleased to see young Kennett ride so well and did he look like he really wanted it after that first victory. I for one was a little worried before hand as for some reason he has really struggled in the past at Brandon  on a track not that dissimilar to Poole. If the boys can ride like this on Saturday perhaps they can just pull of a surprise???

Yea all we need is for 3 crap teams like last night to turn up instead of poland ,oz and denmark and we got a great chance .

Get a grip .

Yea all we need is for 3 crap teams like last night  to turn up instead of poland ,oz and denmark and  we got a great chance .

Get a grip .

well said :o

Yea all we need is for 3 crap teams like last night  to turn up instead of poland ,oz and denmark and  we got a great chance .

Get a grip .

Orion.

The NEW Voice of Reason :D

Get a grip .

The old adage of British sport is "magnificent in victory, glorious in defeat" - no matter what sport is involved.

There was little real class against GB (all English riders - why not England) at Coventry.

Tougher times lie ahead - then we may hear some wailing. :unsure:

Excellant result,poor racing to begin with,with very little passing but as the meeting progressed the racing did get a little better

I agree totally with that.Some of the stuff one this thread about great meeting!!! B) I did say that would be peoples opinion.Unfortunately i got bored of it after 10 heats and stayed to watch another 5 and it did get better,but not enough for me to stay any longer.GB through,which is great.USA should be made to go through the qualis,like i said a few days ago.That is a disgrace that they field a team like that when others with similar or better have to qualify :angry:

Great Night, Bad Planning

Why buy a ticket before the event, then have to stand in an enormous queue waiting for people in front to get tickets, surely they could have opened a gate for ticket holders away from the main entry point where tickets were on sale.

Well What Can I Say, Well Done Lads You Did us proud, so glad we could be there, what an awesome night,all the best and fingers crossed for saturday, :)