British Speedway Forum
dlprezes

G. Squib

I think this should be Jimmy Squibb who had a long and illustrious time in Speedway riding for, among others, Exeter Falcons, Ipswich Witches, Poole Pirates and Southampton Saints.

I seem to remember him passing away in the not too distant past????

And Ted Pankhurst was a member of California Poppies in the old Southern Area League of the 1950's

Edited by star ghost

I think this should be Jimmy Squibb who had a long and illustrious time in Speedway riding for, among others, Exeter Falcons, Ipswich Witches, Poole Pirates and Southampton Saints.

I seem to remember him passing away in the not too distant past????

Don't forget New Cross!

Jimmy Squibb, sadly, did pass away in 2004.

I think he was living in the West Country at the time.

He was part of the Southampton sides in the late 40's? - early 50's?

Certainly I have a number of photos of Saints sides going back to my Fathers Racing and Managing days with Jimmy in them.

Jimmy is still remember fondly byt the Speedway fraternity in Southampton.

# Name Removed #.

Met Jimmy right at the end of a long career( almost 50 I think ) and found him a great fellow to talk to had ridden with and against most of the greats of the 50- 60'S and must of had one of the longest careers of all time.

Jim also rode for Eastbourne around 1973 (his last club?).

A true gent.

Was he one of the riders who were riding abroad during or after the war whilst in the Army?Seem to remember some of the guys were riding in Germany during or just after the war.Was Jimmy one of those?

Jim also rode for Eastbourne around 1973 (his last club?).

A true gent.

I believe he rode for Canterbury after that - maybe 1974? I can't be certain without getting the programmes out of the loft.

Was he one of the riders who were riding abroad during or after the war whilst in the Army?Seem to remember some of the guys were riding in Germany during or just after the war.Was Jimmy one of those?

Early post-war German speedway involved

(1) a tour by National League riders in the winter of 1945-46 and

(2) various army tracks (at least three) where riders included Ron Walton and Alan 'Dart' Clark, possibly Roy Pickering and Harry Emery.

Jimmy Squibb was not involved in either of these ventures.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

I believe he rode for Canterbury after that - maybe 1974? I can't be certain without getting the programmes out of the loft.

Canterbury 1974 Canterbury/Weymouth 1975.

Canterbury 1974 Canterbury/Weymouth 1975.

i

It was at Weymouth that I had my chat with him I think by then he was out of the team and just doing s/halves and was cover for anyone getting injured in the team.In his last couple of years he rode for points money and didn't get any expenses just to get a team place .He said he just loved to ride and would do what ever it took to get a team place .Shame that a great career should end on such a sad note he said that s/way was a ruthless sport in every respect but he had loved every moment of it. :)

Jim was born in 1921 so he was 53 /54 at time he quit-I always recall him leading a riders protest for more money before start of 1963 PLRC.