British Speedway Forum

To be honest Hector and Pirate Nick, no-one is asking the pirates fans to defend this.

I would however be interested to hear what Steve has to say in defence (or otherwise) of this incident.

To be honest Hector and Pirate Nick, no-one is asking the pirates fans to defend this.

I would however be interested to hear what Steve has to say in defence (or otherwise) of this incident.

To be honest Cowboy I think we are all waiting with baited breath especially after he reads the Steve Johnson testimonial thread (really quite amusing).

Can't disagree with you at all Hector. Generally speaking, I admire the ambition and innovation of the Poole promotion and I can't help feeling they (and the supporters) have been badly let down by the riders on this occasion. Amongst them they effectively killed off the whole point of the meeting. I hope the Poole promotion don't take this lying down and I hope the SGP takes note...the last thing we want to see is another four riders going through the motions for $50k each at the last GP of the season.

IM SURE THE LAST THING MATT FORD would have thought before the final is that the riders agreed to share the money,so i owe him an apology.ive calmed down a bit now but i would still like to get to the bottom of how this shambles came about ,As for the race well aj was giving it some on the bends but the rest as they are all top speedway racers were just going through the motions and its quite easy for them because they are class riders.

Can't disagree with you at all Hector. Generally speaking, I admire the ambition and innovation of the Poole promotion and I can't help feeling they (and the supporters) have been badly let down by the riders on this occasion. Amongst them they effectively killed off the whole point of the meeting. I hope the Poole promotion don't take this lying down and I hope the SGP takes note...the last thing we want to see is another four riders going through the motions for $50k each at the last GP of the season.

I agree entirely. The Poole promotion cannot be criticised for their lofty ambition, and the riders have let them down badly.

All the best

Rob

Nicki Pedersen and Andreas Jonsson at the after meeting party at Poole

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/det...56/22425659.jpg

Personally I dont care about the split (so long as those who placed money on the race dont feel aggrieved) and I do feel some of the comments to be over the top but these clips do lighten things up a bit and should be treated as such.

Ford is coping some of the blame and in my opinion WHY? Im sure these four adults were able to make this decision between them.

But Keith, how long do you spend trawling the net for appropriate photo's. Funny but sad!!! :wink::lol:

Now, now Sandie! :shock:

lol - its a phrase my darling dad uses. Comes from me being so short!!!! :lol:

JESUS PEOPLE, CALM DOWN!

I've heard of this kind of thing (splitting the prize money before the final) several times before in regards in individual meetings through-out the years, so why all the song and dance!??

A lot of fuss about nothing if you ask me!

Its happened before, it'll happen again... Speedway riders are for the most part competitive and racers, so once their financial security was sorted they went out and gave it their all on track!

Its happened before, it'll happen again... Speedway riders are for the most part competitive and racers, so once their financial security was sorted they went out and gave it their all on track!

It will happen again.

but surely

Fans pay to see riders race.

Riders race because there is an incentive.

The main incentive is that the person who wins earns more than the person who comes last.

Presumably if one of the riders in the final had been excluded for 2 mins he would have earned £15,000 too!!

If as a fan you are happy that the last race was split - then you are happy that that wasnt a race. Taking this to a logical conclusion you could split all the prize money over the whole meeting and pay the person who scores 0 the same as the person who scores 15 - What sort of racing would you have seen??

As for the tax situation - If Nicki gets the cheque for 60 thousand - gives away 45 - he will still have to pay around 15 in tax - result - 0. In fact he could even have to pay more than 15 thousand in tax which would mean he would be out of pocket!! The only way he could avoid this is if the Poole management paid out 1 cheque to each of the 4 riders for 15 thousand.

ps Im no accountant . . .

Having thought about this financial split up of the winnings, I have come to the conclusion that it shouldn't have happened. Certainly not in public. Whilst the intentions were good, the overall effect of doing this is to devalue the final for the fans.

The meeting was hard battled with riders in contention in the final round of races giving their all to make sure they had a chance of winning.

The four finalists were the correct riders to be there on merit. But they obviously got togetehr quiickly and did the deal. Whilst the final was a proper race and competitive, whet carving the oney up before hand did, was take away the disappointment of losing, as well as the total elation of the win.

If I had made the final and missed out on winning, I would feel pretty sick. That feeling would not be there because I know I have £15,000 in my pocket.

Perhaps rather than carve it up into £15,000 each, they could have got together and said, £30,000 to the winner, 15 for second, 10 for third and 5 for 4th. All would have made a good earner, and there would be something to really race for. Trouble is they only had a minute or so to talk to each other.

Did it devalue the meeting? Not at the time, but now the fact that the riders carved up the winnings leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If they wanted to do this, they should have stayed very quite and kept it to a gentlemans agreement between themselves.

Are Poole guilty of anything? Not at all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there was no way this situation could have been covered, other than to offer prize money for all finalists. But then Poole would have needed a £100,000 jackpot.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

All seems pretty accurate to me Steve.The riders shouldn't have made this public, particularly Nicki stating so on his website.

Having thought about this financial split up of the winnings, I have come to the conclusion that it shouldn't have happened. Certainly not in public. Whilst the intentions were good, the overall effect of doing this is to devalue the final for the fans.

The meeting was hard battled with riders in contention in the final round of races giving their all to make sure they had a chance of winning.

The four finalists were the correct riders to be there on merit. But they obviously got togetehr quiickly and did the deal. Whilst the final was a proper race and competitive, whet carving the oney up before hand did, was take away the disappointment of losing, as well as the total elation of the win.

If I had made the final and missed out on winning, I would feel pretty sick. That feeling would not be there because I know I have £15,000 in my pocket.

Perhaps rather than carve it up into £15,000 each, they could have got together and said, £30,000 to the winner, 15 for second, 10 for third and 5 for 4th. All would have made a good earner, and there would be something to really race for. Trouble is they only had a minute or so to talk to each other.

Did it devalue the meeting? Not at the time, but now the fact that the riders carved up the winnings leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If they wanted to do this, they should have stayed very quite and kept it to a gentlemans agreement between themselves.

Are Poole guilty of anything? Not at all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there was no way this situation could have been covered, other than to offer prize money for all finalists. But then Poole would have needed a £100,000 jackpot.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

Steve, i take my hat off to you. That's the most honest, sensible and realistic post you've ever written and i totally agree with it. :approve: