British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Igori

Vladimir Karneev -"russian Speedway Father" Dead

Vladimir Ivanovich Karneev dead today, in age of 94!!!! years. He opened speedway (Dirt track racing) and ice speedway in Russia after II World War.

He opened Igor Plechanov and Boris Samorodov and other great Russian speedway riders. He was the first speedway coach in Russia. He was the first speedway reporter and editor of speedway books. He was the GREAT speedway speaker.

He was second Johnny Hoskins!

RIP

speedway fan from former USSR - Igor Kalashnik

www.speedway1.narod.ru

Vladimir Ivanovich Karneev dead today, in age of 94!!!! years. He opened speedway (Dirt track racing) and ice speedway in Russia after II World War.

He opened Igor Plechanov and Boris Samorodov and other great Russian speedway riders. He was the first speedway coach in Russia. He was the first speedway reporter and editor of speedway books. He was the GREAT speedway speaker.

He was second Johnny Hoskins!

RIP

speedway fan from former USSR - Igor Kalashnik

www.speedway1.narod.ru

Great to see you posting on this forum. Not too sure if a Russian fan has posted in here before but you are certainly a welcome visitor. First of a few I hope. :)

The riders you quote plus Kadirov, Gordeev, Kurilenko,etc, were wonderful riders, were very exciting and certainly opened up a new era for your nation. With some of the recent successes it could be that your nation is at the stage of another good era.

Best of luck with your speedway. :D

:blink::blink:

Great to see you posting on this forum. Not too sure if a Russian fan has posted in here before but you are certainly a welcome visitor. First of a few I hope. :)

The riders you quote plus Kadirov, Gordeev, Kurilenko,etc, were wonderful riders, were very exciting and certainly opened up a new era for your nation. With some of the recent successes it could be that your nation is at the stage of another good era.

Best of luck with your speedway.  :D

:blink:  :blink:

Thanx for great words! I hope you will see in a future Russian speedway on Speedway Olimp! (Like Emil Sajfutdinov - World Champion under 21 of 2007). and I know, that English speedway society like russian stile of speedway and our old speedway riders. And Karneev was the first Russian man who saw speedway and reborn it in Russia!

p.s. Vitalij Shilo, who had terrible accident in Wembley at 1964, during the first test match of USSR and UK, send great wishes to English speedway fans from USA, where he lives now. (He phoned couple days ago in Rovno)

Thanx for great words! I hope you will see in a future Russian speedway on Speedway Olimp! (Like Emil Sajfutdinov - World Champion under 21 of 2007). and I know, that English speedway society like russian stile of speedway and our old speedway riders. And Karneev was the first Russian man who saw speedway and reborn it in Russia!

p.s. Vitalij Shilo, who had terrible accident in Wembley at 1964, during the first test match of USSR and UK, send great wishes to English speedway fans from USA, where he lives now. (He phoned couple days ago in Rovno)

I was sitting on the 4th bend when Vitalij had his accident. He was in last place and the other 3 riders were passing the start gate when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw bits of the wooden kick boards flying up into the air. It was horrific and Vitalij was badly injured. He was rushed to hospital but due to your political situation at the time, he was flown out at 11 o clock the following Sunday morning despite his terrible injuries. So pleased to hear that he is still alive and well, because I am not sure whether he ever raced again. Could you advise. :)

I was sitting on the 4th bend when Vitalij had his accident. He was in last place and the other 3 riders were passing the start gate when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw bits of the wooden kick boards flying up into the air. It was horrific and Vitalij was badly injured. He was rushed to hospital but due to your political situation at the time, he was flown out at 11 o clock the following Sunday morning despite his terrible injuries. So pleased to hear that he is still alive and well, because I am not sure whether he ever raced again. Could you advise.  :)

Really shows you how things were then, and how far we have come now, I find it hard to believe that they made him go home for treatrment, due to the political situation.

I was sitting on the 4th bend when Vitalij had his accident. He was in last place and the other 3 riders were passing the start gate when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw bits of the wooden kick boards flying up into the air. It was horrific and Vitalij was badly injured. He was rushed to hospital but due to your political situation at the time, he was flown out at 11 o clock the following Sunday morning despite his terrible injuries. So pleased to hear that he is still alive and well, because I am not sure whether he ever raced again. Could you advise.  :)

I was sitting on the 4th bend as well Tsunami and for some reason I was watching Vitalij - he came wider and wider then just slammed into the fence. Kick boards splintered, fence went down (I seem to remember one of the metal fence supports was bent to a crazy angle) and Vitalij lay tangled up in the whole lot completely motionless. It remains to this day one of the most horrific incidents I have ever seen.

I don't think many of us expected him to survive but how good it is to learn that he is still alive and well over 40 years later. Thanks for the news about him Igori.

Quite by coincidence there was an interview with Igor Plechanov posted online yesterday and Igor Kalshnik gets a mention Here

Sad to hear the news of Mr Karneev's death :(

Really shows you how things were then, and how far we have come now, I find it hard to believe that they made him go home for treatrment, due to the political situation.

He should never have travelled back but the Russian authorities always feared that Russian people would ask for political asylum if left.

He should never have travelled back but the Russian authorities always feared that Russian people would ask for political asylum if left.

Still makes you think that the Russian authorities would think that a rider would risk life and limb to get political asylum.

Things might not be great now but at least we don't see this sort of thing happening now.

I went to see a performance by the Bolshoi in the West End in, I think, 1976. It was blisteringly hot inside, so at the interval I headed to the pub next door in search of something cooling. (I had to brush past Susan Hampshire to get out, which was excellent.)

Inside were half the cast of the ballet, clearly intent on doing what I was doing. In close attendance were four sinister guys in leather coats who were straight from the cast of many a cold-war movie. I was in no doubt that their function was to ensure that none of the performers did a runner.

On the team coach with the 1965 Russian touring party were also a couple of guys whose sole function appeared to be to watch what was going on.

The Soviets were certainly paranoid about high-profile people defecting to the west.

Edited by Ian

Friends, I must say you, that Russian teams trawelled always with translater. And almost in 100% he was KGB person, who was with team or individual rider on all foriegn trips. I heard about it from Igor Plechanov and Boris Samorodov.

Hi Igori-great to see you have joined the Forum-do you know whether Boris Samorodov is still alive and if so where-he was a tough guy.

Igori,

I remember vividly the crash at Wembley and I am glad that he is well and still alive.

The Russian team that parded at Wembley looked magnificent that day!

It was a very historic occasion for speedway in the UK.

It would be wonderful to see the sport and a Russian team at the new Wembley stadium.

Best wishes

Brian

Hello Friends!

I am glad that Russian topic is interest for you.

From russian teams of 1964 alive now:

Boris Samorodov (Ufa, Russia), Yurij Chekranov (Ufa, Russia), Genadij Kurilenko (Ufa, Russia), Vitalij Shilo (Santa Barbara,USA). Dead Gab Kadyrov and this year Igor Plechanov.

I want say you, that was my big article about those tests (of 1964) in Russian motobike magazine"Moto". We remember these BIG events too, but only from litlle video and remembering of our old riders.