British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Ove Fundin - Banned In 1966

Just been reading about Ove Fundin not riding in the British League in 1966 due to a ban. Anyone know why he was banned?

Something to do with being a Johnny Foreigner perhaps? Seems to have been quite a lot of resistance to overseas riders at that time.

Ove was suspended by SVEMO because he had taken part in a car race when he should have been taking part in a World Championship qualifier. Before the ban he rode for Long Eaton.

• Like 1

Aha! Would that be why he wasn't in the 1966 World Final then? Or is that too obvious a question?

In which case I won't bother to ask it!

Thankfully, he came back for the Aces in 67 and won his 5th title, and the rest is history!! :P

Out of interest, did this band last the whole season, or was it one of these 28 day bans?

Couldn't have been a season long ban as he rode in the WTC Final in Wroclaw 11.09.1966 scoring 2pts

I think Ove had a few conflicts with the Swedish speedway authorities. Still happens today I think ie Emil and the Lagutas etc

Think there are better examples of problems with Svemo?THJ and was it Lindgren had problems in recent years......

I think Ove had a few conflicts with the Swedish speedway authorities. Still happens today I think ie Emil and the Lagutas etc

Except they are Russian. :shock::wink::D

Edited by The White Knight