British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Aussie Champs Line Up

Chris Holder. Australian Champion.

Indeed and congratulations to him. A very worthy winner having won all five rounds.

However how seriously can the title of Oz Champion be taken when you consider how many rides didn't compete?

No Crump, Adams, Watt, Shields, Schlein, Doolan, Johnston, Parker, Lyons or Henry to just name the ones who pop into my head.

Of course its not Noddy's concern who does or doesn't enter and I am sure he would have beaten many of those anyway but I just think its a shame so many very good riders didn't compete. Devalues the whole thing for me.

The new Crump and Adams?

I was thinking that but they will be fiercer rivals that Crumpy and Adams because they are very, very close in age.

They'd make a good pair in a world under 21 pairs event! I wouldn't mind seeing such a meeting either!!!

I was thinking that but they will be fiercer rivals that Crumpy and Adams because they are very, very close in age.

They'd make a good pair in a world under 21 pairs event!  I wouldn't mind seeing such a meeting either!!!

They would wipe the floor,easily too.

A major disappointment for me this season is not having Batchelor in our team.Hugely impressive last season.Just think of having to watch those two every meeting. :blink:

Australia will be well served for the next 10 seasons or so to come.Now,where are the Brits?

Congratulations to Chris Holder, certainly going to be a big year for him, and started it with winning the Australian Championship, has been fantastic to watch at I.O.W, will be intresting to see him compete in the elite league this coming season, and hopefully in the Grand Prix in the not to distant future.

how seriously can the title of Oz Champion be taken when you consider how many rides didn't compete?

No Crump, Adams, Watt, Shields, Schlein, Doolan, Johnston, Parker, Lyons or Henry to just name the ones who pop into my head.

just think its a shame so many very good riders didn't compete. Devalues the whole thing for me.

I have to wonder if you would be saying the same thing if he had ridden for Kings Lynn for the last 2 years?

Would the same comments be made if Kings Lynn had gone Elite for 2008, and they had signed Chris instead of Poole?

Don't steal the boys thunder - he was absolutely outstanding. :mad:

# Name Removed #.

Not a tad of bitterness of still lingering there then Crouch? :rolleyes:

King's Lynn asset Troy Batchelor came second overall, do you think he would have done with the likes of Adams, Crump etc taking part?

Read my post again Mr # Name Removed # :rolleyes: Nothing but admiration for Noddy, I think he is a super talent and I wasn't criticising him. My point is that its a shame so many good Australian riders are not competing.

And get off your high horse while you are at it :blink:

Edited by Bagpuss

Read my post again Mr # Name Removed #  :rolleyes:  Nothing but admiration for Noddy, I think he is a super talent and I wasn't criticising him. My point is that its a shame so many good Australian riders are not competing.

And get off your high horse while you are at it  :blink:

Could it be that the likes of Jason, Leigh, Adam, Shane et al chose themselves not to contest the Aussie champs this year for very valid reasons indeed such as a.) wishing to rest after a very hard European season b.) at the same time spending time with their families (who don't get to see THAT much of them in our season!), relations and friends back in their native land c.) in Rory S's case not going at home at all as he had just bought property in the UK etc etc etc? It might be a shame from our point of view sitting here at home but think of them eh :wink: ? I'm sure all thought long and hard before deciding not to enter for perfectly good reasons. And that is hardly anybody's fault. Speedway riders are, believe it or not, human! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bryn

Kings Lynn had gone Elite, and they had signed Chris

One day, one day ;)

My apologies if anyone tried to ring / text me tonight, my mobile phone decided tonight was the night it would pack it in so I was zero help (probably no change from normal I hear people say). Arrived back at "Chez Rons" and following a special bundy decided to sneak a quick peep at the forum at 1:30 'ish. The A final was a belter, it was sheer willpower that got Chris Holder past Troy Batchelor, how Chris does what he does I will never know. Running four lap heats certainly tested man & machine and I can sympathise with those riders that shed chains on the last lap.

From my point of view the only downside was the time it took to run the meeting, it kicked off at 7:30 and didn't finish till about 11:20. We had freestyle motocross displays, a delivery van powered by a Rolls Royce jet engine, multiple track grades, fireworks in the middle of the meeting (?) and somewhere in that lot we somehow managed 20 heats and two finals of speedway. The Travel Plus tours people had to leave before the finals due to a bus driver curfew and I believe they were well displeased. I know the organisers strive for a "total entertainment package" but nearly four hours for a speedway meeting ?

Thanks for your comments but they are indeed eronious.

i have spoken with my team in Sydney and they confirm that everyone saw all the meeting and all the races.

They were indeeed pushed to get back within the drivers hours but did so by just 2 minutes. Thanks again to an understanding Bus company.

You are obviously well informed, and a regular sunscriber but i must tell you that we never leave any timings to chance...ever. We were advised by THE STADIUM that teh event had to close by 2215hrs,with a 15 minute extra "Just in case"...

So Half way round the world, and for teh first time in 27 years we were almost let down with the "organisation" of the event.

Anyhow, all's well, and i can confirm that once again our 70+ people enjoyed the atmosphere and hospitality of a superb nation.

No doubt that superb scribe PEDRO WHITE will havea few words in his Star column next week.

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Thanks for your comments but they are indeed eronious.

i have spoken with my team in Sydney and they confirm that everyone saw all the meeting and all the races.

They were indeeed pushed to get back within the drivers hours but did so by just 2 minutes. Thanks again to an understanding Bus company.

You are obviously well informed, and a regular sunscriber but i must tell you that we never leave any timings to chance...ever. We were advised by THE STADIUM that teh event had to close by 2215hrs,with a 15 minute extra "Just in case"...

So Half way round the world, and for teh first time in 27 years we were almost let down with the "organisation" of the event.

Anyhow, all's well, and i can confirm that once again our 70+ people enjoyed the atmosphere and hospitality of a superb nation.

No doubt that superb scribe PEDRO WHITE will havea few words in his Star column next week.

Oops I stand corrected, my apologies.

It was obviously a very close thing and I heard around the time of the last heat that the tour was going to leave early but obviously a sensible bus driver or two helped you out.

I think you will find the meeting finished around 2315 hours not 2215 hours. I also think we are in agreement it took an unusually long time to run a speedway meeting ?

Apparently riders weren't too happy beforehand :

At the end of the riders briefing for round 5 of the Australian Speedway

Championships the riders had a standoff with the referee. The question

was asked about the number of laps per race and the referee stated 4

laps as per supp regs. The riders argued that 4 laps over such a long

track (approx 480 metres) would put undue strain on the bikes ad cause

chain breakages.

The races were 3 laps the previous year but I understand complaints were

made to the promoters and to Motorcycling Australia so this year it was

to be 4 laps.

The riders stood firm. All wanted 3 laps. The referee showed them the

supp regs, the clerk of the course agreed. It was to be 4 laps. The

riders still said no they only wanted 3. Former international rider and

MA speedway commissioner Mick Poole was called for by the riders as was

promoter David Tapp. Perhaps they thought Poole would side with them but

he offerred the comment that they needed to adjust their chain oiler to

cope.

When Tappy arrived the riders said they only wanted to race 3 laps. He

told the riders in no uncertain terms that it was 4 laps. He told them

of the supp regs, the sponsors expectations and the crowd's

expectations. It would be 4 laps. Any rider who did not agree could pack

up and go. He then left. The meeting broke up and still the riders

grumbled. The races were 4 laps.

There were some broken chains but there was also some excellent racing

and Chris Holder is a deserving champion.

Just to let Bryn and others know I will NOT be able to put results up here from tonights meeting due to work commitments :unsure:

You told me you were out on the P***!! :o (AGAIN!!) :rolleyes:

You were mentioning being worried about running out of dope?

Wasn't me. M8!

heat 16

harding

sitera

herne

ksiesak

race of the night, could throw a blanket over them all

It was a Ripper!!

Edited by BigFatDave

2215 is what the bus driver booked down.... then 2215 it is. ;)

Regards.

PS.

Love ya work Lunchy... :lol:

Oops I stand corrected, my apologies.

I think you will find the meeting finished around 2315 hours not 2215 hours.

Edited by Trackman