British Speedway Forum
norbold

New Cross Signature Tune

Another question for former New Cross supporters. What was the tune they officials and riders marched out to?

I have a feeling that up to 1953 it was "Marching Along Together" but from 1959 onwards it was "The Entry of the Gladiators"...but I might be completely wrong. Anyone with a better memory than me?

Another question for former New Cross supporters. What was the tune they officials and riders marched out to?

I have a feeling that up to 1953 it was "Marching Along Together" but from 1959 onwards it was "The Entry of the Gladiators"...but I might be completely wrong. Anyone with a better memory than me?

Since I remember "Marching along together" it must have been in 59/60/61...but what was the song always played when you were leaving...should not be too difficult...very well known!

An early 1950s Bristol programme mentioned that they had received some further copies of "marching along together" from Fred Mockfords "closely guarded" stock.

I remember New Cross as having "Marching along together" for their march tune from visits there. "Entry of the gladiators" was that of Wembley. "Under the double headed eagle" was used at West Ham and Ronnie Green's folk, Wimbledon, had "Blaze away"

Didn't the excitement build up when these familiar tunes stuck up and the first race was just about to be run?

Hello again,

Sorry for my delayed response but only remembered to ask the 'old chap' about this at New Year.

He tells me that, definitely during the late 40s, there was no signature tune, rider's parade etc. The riders just gave a wave as they came out for their first heats.

He remembers hearing "Marching Along Together" when the Rangers went to Wembley, as Wembley always had a parade, but feels almost certain that he never heard it at New Cross whilst he was there (46-53).

Pip

Hello again,

Sorry for my delayed response but only remembered to ask the 'old chap' about this at New Year.

He tells me that, definitely during the late 40s, there was no signature tune, rider's parade etc. The riders just gave a wave as they came out for their first heats.

He remembers hearing "Marching Along Together" when the Rangers went to Wembley, as Wembley always had a parade, but feels almost certain that he never heard it at New Cross whilst he was there (46-53).

Pip

Well I seem to remember 'Marching Along Together' at New Cross in the period you mention. Not certain of the vocalist - was it the legendary Al Bowlly?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Since I remember "Marching along together" it must have been in 59/60/61...but what was the song always played when you were leaving...should not be too difficult...very well known!

Wasn't it something with a title like 'Now is the hour to say goodbye.'? This was certainly played when Lionel Van Praag made his last appearance for New Cross in 1947.

Edited by speedyguy

The New Cross signature tune can be heard on Jim's excellent New Cross tribute site: Here

Just follow the links and it's just like race night at the Frying Pan....dear me, excuse me while I go and have little cry...

Edited by norbold

Wasn't it something with a title like 'Now is the hour to say goodbye.'? This was certainly played when Lionel Van Praag made his last appearance for New Cross in 1947.

Now is the hour that we must say goodbye

soon i'll be sailing far across the sea

while i'm away, oh please remember me

when I return, i'll find you waiting for me.

boom boom

The tune on Jim's New Cross site sounds like "We'll meet again" which was sung by Vera Lynn.

It's a bit on the slow side for a "march-on" tune

Edited by star ghost

Keep going star ghost. You haven't got to it yet! Enter the site by clicking anywhere on Tom Farndon and then go to the bottom of the first page.

Edited by norbold

The tune on Jim's New Cross site sounds like "We'll meet again" which was sung by Vera Lynn.

It's a bit on the slow side for a "march-on" tune

I was thinking exactly the same thing.Just thought both songs shared the same music :D It was only that i decided to inspect the site further that i saw a link to "Marching along together".Didn't get to hear the tune though as it never seemed to buffer up or whatever it is these things do :P