British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Waterden Road

That they were ..... but they wasn't 'ackney was they  :cry:  ok they had part of the name but they weren't 'awks  :cry:

You've lost me shazzy. You're the one who said before "at least you still had a team" and yet apparently subscribe to some bizarre concept that the NL club from '84 onwards wasn't Hackney.. :o

What was it then..??!!! :unsure::rolleyes:

Memories of Waterden Road? Just been reading the previous pages and it does indeed bring the memories flooding back! Memories both on and off the track but I think everyone one remembers the many classic matches, but what of the many other characters?

Well I guess we all remember dear old Snowy. He would be standing by the starting gate with Vi, Ian Cook, Linda, Jacqueline and others tearing the draw tickets up and putting them into the box. Len or special guest would pull out the winning ticket or tickets out on the centre green with Snowy in close proximity.Len would say,

'Whats the jackpot tonight?'

Snowy's answer always the same after the amount,

'Fifty quid Len'

Having a beer [which was strictly against the rules] in the pits at 1am and later, much later actually, after a meeting on a Friday and which riders would be the last one to leave? Usually either Thommo or Hughie Saunders.

The twenty-four hour darts marathon run by the HSSC [Hackney Speedway Supporters Club] in the Vic Harding Lounge.

The dinner dances especially the ones in Cherry’s disco later to become Sloopy’s.

Those wonderful Saturday afternoon training school’s with Len missing out on the likes of Kelvin Tatum and Bruce Penhall. Who wanted them anyway! Yes I know Wimbledon and Cradley.

Terry Heath and his crew on a Friday and Saturday either laying or picking up the sheets on the greyhound track.

Stadium manager Peter Spratley checking all was running well in the various cafeteria’s and bars in the stadium.

Security man Jimmy Mead who was better known as mustard walking about mostly unshaven and in a horrible mustard suite when not on duty. Not a pretty site.

Tony Hurren, being presented with a special award at the dinner dance at Walthamstow Stadium. The award, a very plush toilets seat! For those unaware Tony was Hawkeye, later to become Birdbrain. What fantastic columns he penned. I think many used to read that column before Lens actually.

A young guy who got a nickname of Bent Hadlebars. I recall he went to Ireland for a year or so and came back to England with the broadest ever-Irish accent you have ever heard.

Steve Vangeldar, Brian Deadman and Billy Newlands. All working for Warner Sports and who remembers Warner Sports boss Danny Leno? A frequent visitor, no correction a supporter propping up the bar!

Big Fred, who can forget him on the coach and those ‘away’, matches.

A certain announcer who was so biased towards Hackney he was a legend for the that short spell he had at The Wick! That man was Gareth Rogers of course. After following the late, great Ted Sear, Gareth certainly bought a rather different announcing style to Waterden Road.

Lesley Rowland who ran the ‘Special Sean Willmott Fan Club’ later of course to become me Mrs! Married twenty-five years this year, who said it wouldn’t work!

Professor Barnard with his 3.258 passes per lap

The list could just go on and on……….

You know those days at Hackney where absolutely amazing. There where so many characters many I’ve not mentioned.

In 2005 we had a Hackney Reunion and that was amazing, totally awe inspiring. Just a few of those people made it to the reunion and for those there, they know we all generated that Hackney Stadium atmosphere once again.

If I’m honest I’d love to organise another Hackney Reunion. But as I’ve said before elsewhere, I don’t think we will ever be able to top the one we held in 2005.

But, when the time is right, and that will be in the next few years I recon, Hackney Speedway will return for one night, when our announcer will say,

‘This is Hackney Speedway’ and the Magnificent Seven music will once again be heard and a lump will be in the back of all our thoats.

Nostalgia at it's very best Tadpole my old (and yes we both are that now!) mate! So many memories from the 'Awks days and, of course, from the Kestrels era that followed. As for Tony Hurren alias Hawkeye and subsequently Birdbrain, well his columns were, as you imply, truly masterful. Such a shame when he decided that the time was right to cease writing but he's proved an inspiration for others as witnessed by several club programmes since and indeed 'Son of Birdbrain' at Waterden Road. I'm still in touch with him.

Those Saturday afternoon practice sessions with "Ethy" in charge - always to first to race over to any youngster that crashed and, having made sure they weren't injured, proceed to tell 'em using language that's not repeatable here to keep away from the fence next time, :lol: the Vic Harding Lounge, dear old Snowy who I understand is not in the best of health at the moment unfortunately, Big Fred, Thommo (imagine a modern day rider scoring a five ride zero and STILL remaining the fans hero!), the wonderful 1988 season - jeez that's twenty ruddy years ago now :blink: - ah well times move on - jeez just look at the age of our respective daughters! Happy memories indeed. :wink:

Bryn

Edited by Bryn

One person who I’ve not mentioned is Tina Wiffen. Tina would be with her mates on the home straight at Hackney every Friday. Tina met Steve at Hackney and married soon after. Many will remember Tina running Martin Hagon’s fan club. Tina recently passed away at a very young age after a very long illness. It was people like Tina that make Hackney such a great place to be on a Friday night. RIP Tina

god readin this is realy good sorry about the last thread ... :cry: but what memories lol one of mine was when mark loram nicked my camera and took in in the changin rooms and i got a brilliant one of andy in his pants ..... :blink: what days also in my old car that took us to scotland and everywere chasin a red and gold van or a little blu van and the meetins at the watford gap ......when everyone would eat but id say no as i fanced galvin god i would starve lol x

I can remember missing my friends wedding on my 21st birthday to go to Hackney Training school instead :oops: Sorry Auntie Di :wink:

Those Saturday afternoon practice sessions with "Ethy" in charge - always to first to race over to any youngster that crashed and, having made sure they weren't injured, proceed to tell 'em using language that's not repeatable here to keep away from the fence next time

Yes Indeed fond memories. Ol Effy and his concerns for his fence, when I clouted it once or twice....I used to tell him not to worry I'd help him fix it later :)

Vic Harding lounge memories as well.

The Northern tours with Tommo etc at the hotel playing 'bottles'

Hope you are well now Bryn, and you to Tadpole. Sorry to hear about ol Snowie.

Regards John G (AKA Skid) in in sunny and hot Philippines.

You've lost me shazzy.  You're the one who said before "at least you still had a team" and yet apparently subscribe to some bizarre concept that the NL club from '84 onwards wasn't Hackney.. :o

What was it then..??!!! :unsure:  :rolleyes:

Stop splitting hairs Parsloes, you know what I'm trying to say ...... they were Crayford at a different venue. :rolleyes: Your team at a different place, unlike ours that just disappeared off all over the country to different tracks.

But, when the time is right, and that will be in the next few years I recon, Hackney Speedway will return for one night, when our announcer will say,

‘This is Hackney Speedway’ and the Magnificent Seven music will once again be heard and a lump will be in the back of all our thoats.

BRING IT ON! THIS YEAR PAUL? IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE PUBLISHING OF LENS AUTOBIOGRAPHY PERHAPS?

Is Len Silver really publishing his autobiography-if so put me down for a copy right now!! Who's publishing it? Hope it will cover his days as a rider e.g. him winning the PLRC in 1962.

Stop splitting hairs Parsloes, you know what I'm trying to say ...... they were Crayford at a different venue.  :rolleyes:  Your team at a different place, unlike ours that just disappeared off all over the country to different tracks.

No, sorry, shazzy but you are TOTALLY wrong!!!! :o

Crayford CLOSED down; they knocked the stadium down; it will never come back! :cry: Most Crayford fans were lost to the sport.

And you're not telling me that Hackney fans didn't regard the Hackney team which brought the NL and other trophies back to Hackney in 1988 as a Hackney team?! :o

Using your Crayford argument are you going to say it was alright when Romford closed down coz the same team carried on (after a few weeks at Custom House) in Barrow..!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

As someone who regularly attended Hackney either side of the 1984 changes I really have to say that it just wasn't the same place in the Kestrel era, not just due to the change in track and league.

My wife was a committed Hawks fan but she totally refused to accept the incoming Kestrels as her team. They may have been named Hackney but they weren't 'her Hawks'.

The mix of people changed. It was a new promotion with new ideas and wherever you looked in the place it was ex-Crayford people who were running almost everything.

Yes London Road had been lost but there is no doubt that the Kestrels took over the Wick and not the reverse in the same way my old Rayleigh Rockets took over Rye House. It took years in Hertfordshire for the situation to settle. Sadly Waterden Road didn't have the chance.

Rob.

Edited by rmc

BRING IT ON! THIS YEAR PAUL? IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE PUBLISHING OF LENS AUTOBIOGRAPHY PERHAPS?

3 tickets please :approve:

As someone who regularly attended Hackney either side of the 1984 changes I really have to say that it just wasn't the same place in the Kestrel era, not just due to the change in track and league.

My wife was a committed Hawks fan but she totally refused to accept the incoming Kestrels as her team. They may have been named Hackney but they weren't 'her Hawks'.

The mix of people changed. It was a new promotion with new ideas and wherever you looked in the place it was ex-Crayford people who were running almost everything.

Yes London Road had been lost but there is no doubt that the Kestrels took over the Wick and not the reverse in the same way my old Rayleigh Rockets took over Rye House. It took years in Hertfordshire for the situation to settle. Sadly Waterden Road didn't have the chance.

Rob.

Thanks Rob that's what I was trying to say :cry:

Rob.

i agree, watching the west ham bombers in 1972 was not the same as watching the hammers in 71. same venue different team.

Perhaps the truth is that both lost. Crayford lost their track and Hackney Hawks their team. Obviously the loss of the stadium is far greater but the old Hackney in many ways was lost too, with another set-up using the bricks and mortar.

To me a Hackney Kestrels fan would talk about the all-conquering 1988 season whereas a Hackney Hawks fan would talk about the great racing, the great characters such as Barry Thomas and Zenon Plech, and how amazing it was when Hackney had a winning team.

Ultimately when we lose these tracks it is like the death of a loved-one and supporters of more stable sports like football are far less likely to bear our losses. It helps when there's a separate set of rules for the national sport I guess.

Rayleigh, Hackney, Crayford, I miss them all, and Wimbledon, Canterbury and all the others where I mis-spent my youth.

Rob.