British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
themilkman23

Riders Testimonials.

Remember it being a fantastic night and packed to the rafters after Steeny and his committee took it upon themselves to PROMOTE the meeting to the hilt around the town & surrounding areas.

It was the biggest crowd I've seen at Smallmead.

It was the biggest crowd I've seen at Smallmead.

steeny rode for glasgow during his 1998 testimonial year aswell if i remember right and quite a few glasgow fans attended smallmead

That was Rick Miller's Testimonial which in all my years still stands out asthe most amazing of them all.There we're a few others that braved the bungee jump including Rick himself , Rosco & Per Jonsson.

I have this on Video somewhere. the Jump was done on a yellow crane and Per was white as a ghost good memories.

The biggest Crowd Ive seen at smallmead was Per jonssons benefit meeting.

tremendous night sadly all for the wrong reasons though.

Edited by Ben

I remember at Floppy’s testimonial a scuba diving mate of Dave’s was hiding submerged down the well on the centre green, unknown to most there. When David Norris was at the start doing his gardening he appeared out of the well, ran over to the start, pulled out his divers knife and stuck it into Dave’s back tyre. Very strange. :)

As someone mentioned earlier, there was a time when you couldn’t go to a testimonial without seeing Shane Parker ride round in his jock strap! :D

I . :)

As someone mentioned earlier, there was a time when you couldn’t go to a testimonial without seeing Shane Parker ride round in his jock strap!  :D

and for Shane's UK testimonial I got most of the lads to repay the compliment with 12 of them taking to the track to pay tribute to Parks in his own style --and Anji told me I wouldn't get the lads to do it!! But they did --and in style!! :lol:

Then at Gosford for his Oz Tesimonial I had all the lads on parade with stick on hair pieces coming out under the chin Parks style!!! He though that was great!! :lol:

Then at Gosford for his Oz Tesimonial I had all the lads on parade with stick on hair pieces coming out under the chin Parks style!!! He though that was great!! :lol:

Funny thing is Laurence that happened at his testimonial at Gillman aswell. ;):D

and for Shane's UK testimonial I got most of the lads to repay the compliment with 12 of them taking to the track to pay tribute to Parks in his own style --and Anji told me I wouldn't get the lads to do it!! But they did --and in style!! :lol:

oh I remember it well - it was fu guessing who was who!!!!! :D:D

Funny thing is Laurence that happened at his testimonial at Gillman aswell. ;)  :D

woops--Gillman not Gosford !! Only a short distance between Sydney and Adelaide mate!!! :blink:

I put it down to the stress of team building this winter and not having had the joy of a visit down under this year!!! :sad:

Edited by Main Man

Seen picture of Shane Parker's when there was a wheelie competition - That looked quite good!

Got to love the monkey bikes, Graeme Gordon's at Somerset had monkey bike racing including Zorro and Nicholls :D

The one on the 22nd June this year is gonna be the best. ;)

Frank Smart at Newport took the money and run(or flew back to Australia in his case) :lol:

What other stuff was there apart from the bungee jump?

The other main attraction was Olsen vs Penhall "The Last Showdown" ... 3 match races with Olsen coming out on top (although I'm sure Penhall could have won all 3).

16 Rider 20 Heat Individual with Final won by Rick himself.

A testimonial which set the benchmark for others to follow.

Edited by beesknees

Dave Steen - called his Bike Mania and targeted not only the speedway public, but motocross, sidecars, right down to a push bike race with the kids. Someone else said it but there were a lot of hours put in - especially when it was in Reading (race night - monday) and he rode for Glasgow at the time (race night Sunday) thats commitment for you. Crowd brought into it and the place was so packed that you could hardly move.

Phil Morris - I too was on the centre green when the side car with Ben Howe on came across the centre green - it was me who told the kid to get up from sitting on the grass and move further back. Funny to look back now because we even laughed in the afternoon about the trophies being in the firing line for sidecars. What most didnt see is that when riders were picking their prizes at the end of the night - we had no idea whether any of it was damaged.

Personal favourite - Phil and his acrobats at the end of his testimonial most people missed because they were heading in the bar. Phil had footballers and local celebrities in for a penalty shoot out and Paul Clews turned out to be a very handy goalkeeper.