As mentioned before,

Eric Linden.

Then there's

Jim Stenner

Basil Storey

John Wick

Cyril J Hart

Peter Arnold

They all chronicled speedway happenings during the years of the 'great depression' circa 1953-60.

Frank Varey - not only for being one of the world's most outrageously daring riders (el Diablo Rojo) but also for being the good and faithful servant of the sport he loved by promoting it far and wide, and for perfecting the art of preparing the perfect racing surface (a legacy which has set the standard which is still maintained to this day at Owlerton).

As mentioned before,

Eric Linden.

Then there's

Jim Stenner

Basil Storey

John Wick

Cyril J Hart

Peter Arnold

They all chronicled speedway happenings during the years of the 'great depression' circa 1953-60.

And let's not forget John Hyam.

We must not forget Olle Nygren in Speedway for the last 60 years

A long time servant as rider and running training schools. (Since about 1947)

QUOTE (speedyguy @ Apr 22 2008, 09:06 AM)

As mentioned before,

Eric Linden.

Then there's

Jim Stenner

Basil Storey

John Wick

Cyril J Hart

Peter Arnold

And let's not forget John Hyam.

That's nice of Norbold to give John Hyam a mention. John has been a long time servant to speedway, as a 'Speedway Scribe'. You never know it could one day be 'Sir John' or perhaps John Hyam OBE! :wink:

the man that was mr speedway in southampton and stadium and presentation to match everynight was show night charles knott senior (THE GUV.NOR) his sons were good promoters as well and another unsung hero charles foote thats when poole and saints were run by gents

As you might expect, I heartily agree with your comments about "The Guvnor" :D

How about the "Big Five"? Those five riders took speedway to another dimension with their complete dominance and battles between each other.

Dick Case, the promoter who kept speedway going at Rye House - and thus Britain - throughout WW2...well, ok, he missed out on 1944, so I'll give you that one, Ron! :wink:

Thank you for that Rye comment, Norman. For many years I believed that Wimbledon never closed. That sounds like a reference to a certain well-known theatre!

The Match Race Maestro - Jack Parker. The only match race rider better than Ove Fundin

Apart from Tom Farndon of course... :wink:

Surprised we have got this far with no mention of Mike Parker :unsure: Although i wouldn't be surprised if i have overlooked the fact he has been mentioned.But certainly influenced modern speedway

The Match Race Maestro - Jack Parker. The only match race rider better than Ove Fundin

Have you heard of 'Parker's Pension'? I don't recollect Fundin having a similar incom!

Surprised we have got this far with no mention of Mike Parker :unsure: Although i wouldn't be surprised if i have overlooked the fact he has been mentioned.But certainly influenced modern speedway

Let's not forget the legendary speedway promoter Mike Parker, who set off the sport's revival in 1960 with the Provincial League, was originally a driver and promoter of midget car racing in the 1950s.

Have you heard of 'Parker's Pension'? I don't recollect Fundin having a similar incom!

Though, of course, Jack Parker did lose a couple of times. Tom Farndon was undefeated!