British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Riders Who Span Decades

Whilst checking on the riding career of David Bargh, I found he rode in the 70's, 80's and 90's (he is still riding now in NZ) so davids career spanned 3 decades in UK and 4 decades worldwide.

I bet you know riders who did more!

Sure Norbold can come up with a few, but I'm pretty sure Tommy Price for one was riding in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

So were the Parker brothers i think.Pretty sure the was at least one rider going from the 20s through to the 60s.Ron Johnson?

And Huszka was riding in the 70s-till now.As was Barghs NZ team mate Larry Ross and also Mitch Shirra

pretty sure ken mckinlay started riding in the late 40s before finishing up in the early 70s

Ditto Jimmy Squibb I think

I suppose you could refer to one of the threads about long careers, but Nigel Boocock rode in the 1950s, 60s, 70s & 80s.

Neil and Les Collins spanned the 1970s, 80s, 90s and 00s as did Bobby Schwartz. In fact if Boogaloo can hang on in there for another couple of years in the US he'll have ridden competitively in five different decades.

While never an established league rider, the late George Wells rode in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s.

Edited by Graham

Better say Wal Morton before someone else does... :rolleyes:

Oh, plus the Collins boys (Les and Neil), Olle Nygren, Bobby Schwartz, to name four.

Steve

Oh, plus the Collins boys (Les and Neil), Olle Nygren, Bobby Schwartz, to name four.

Steve

Beat me to it - Wal Morton of course in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. And in teams with all-time greats like Vic Huxley, Bluey Wilkinson, Vic Duggan, Jack Young, Ove Fundin - to name just a few.

Sure Norbold can come up with a few, but I'm pretty sure Tommy Price for one was riding in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

I don't think Tommy Price was around in the 20s. He started about 1934/5.

I think the longest decade spanner has to be Ron Johnson, who first rode in Australia in 1926 and had his last outing at New Cross in 1963, so that's five decades. From the time he arrived in England in 1928, practically the whole of that career was with the Crystal Palace/New Cross set up. (You can read all about it in a new book just out I believe. :wink: )

practically the whole of that career was with the Crystal Palace/New Cross set up. (You can read all about it in a new book just out I believe. :wink: )

I thought you had to scrap the Palace bit? :unsure:

Whatever,sounds like another great read.How much is the p&p to Germany? :unsure::rolleyes:

Steve

Am I right in thinking Hans Nielsen didn't retiire until about 2000.

If that's the case he has also done the 70's / 80's / 90's and 00's!

Paul

yes sqiubby holds the record

If he rode from the 40s to the 70s that's four decades - one LESS than Johnson, so how does he hold the record?

I don't think Tommy Price was around in the 20s. He started about 1934/5.

My comment was based on what an older rider told me donkeys years ago. As I recall, Tommy Price was born around 1911. Don't really know what he did early in life, but I was definitely told he first rode on a speedway track in the late 20s, which I remember because my dad was born in 1929. Don't know any more than that, but if you've written Tommy's biography I shall defer to your superior knowledge, Norm!! :D

I haven't written his biography, but Tommy Price himself wrote in "Tommy Price's Speedway Mixture", published c. 1950, that his first speedway race was at Harringay in 1934 after he had been spotted riding grass track at Barnet by Frank Arthur.