British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Riders Who Span Decades

norman strachan has to be close as well and what about bobby schwartz but i dont think exhibition meeting should be included otherwise people like jim gregory and terry stone et al can come into the equasion stick to competive meeting only

I agree there, but I think you must have missed something, as Bobby Schwartz has already been mentioned. Oh,and speedyguy, you are absolutely spot-on with Mike Faria. He started in 1975, so is definitely another four-decade man. I'll check into the others.

Steve

Edited by chunky

A couple that come to mind are Korneev of Russia who rode in the 70s(maybe he started in the 60s?) in the World Team Cup for instance and was still riding this winter(albeit on Ice)in the Russian Championships.Plus the ex Soviet,now Ukrainian rider Trofimov.He was riding back in the 80s,but was he also in the 70s?Was last year(maybe still is this season)riding for SC Trofimov from Rovno :unsure:

I wouldn't get too carried away Iris, just because of a surname. I know that some of these Russians have had a lengthy career, but the Trofimov you are talking about is actually two (perhaps more) riders! Viktor was the one in the 70's, but he retired many years ago. Vladimir (reserve for the 1987 World Final) will probably be the one that may be riding now, although it could be another generation.

Steve

I wouldn't get too carried away Iris, just because of a surname. I know that some of these Russians have had a lengthy career, but the Trofimov you are talking about is actually two (perhaps more) riders! Viktor was the one in the 70's, but he retired many years ago. Vladimir (reserve for the 1987 World Final) will probably be the one that may be riding now, although it could be another generation.

Steve

Vladimir Trofimov (b 28.1.62) rode for Rovno in the Russian league last year - that suggests it is the same one as 1987.

Vladimir Trofimov (b 28.1.62) rode for Rovno in the Russian league last year - that suggests it is the same one as 1987.

As I said, it is quite possible that Vladimir was still riding, although his date of birth could also indicate a son of his. The main thing is that it was Viktor who made a name for himself in the 70's, and not Vladimir. Of course, Vladimir could actually have started out in the 70's... Can anyone confirm???

Steve

Okay, I'm on a roll here... Another three, all of whom were active from the 1940's through the '70's, namely Jack Biggs, Les McGillivray, and Reg Trott. Oops, better make that four - Peter Carr (1979 onwards).

Steve

Edited by chunky

I wouldn't get too carried away Iris, just because of a surname.

Steve

Not sure how you consider asking a question on a riders career getting "carried away" to any extent :blink:

They were just a couple of riders that came to mind and i ain't certain how long their careers have been.But it looks possible they could have been quite long.Plus i did initially think of Gerd Riss,who seems to have been around for ages.But he only started in 1982.So i didn't get carried away at all on that one B)

And now you have reminded me i can strike Tomicek,Svab,Stancl and Dryml off my list B)

And on surnames.I came across a young lad riding in the Polish Junior league with the surname Woryna.Now maybe it is a common name,but i did wonder if he is related to ex World Finalist Antoni

Edited by iris123

Okay, I'm on a roll here... Another three, all of whom were active from the 1940's through the '70's, namely Jack Biggs, Les McGillivray, and Reg Trott. Oops, better make that four - Peter Carr (1979 onwards).

Steve

McGillivaray retired at the end of the 69 season, having never missed a british league match!!

McGillivaray retired at the end of the 69 season, having never missed a british league match!!

Sorry, but he retired at the end of the 1970 season. He rode in 37 matches for an average of 4.71.

Also, speedyguy; you're correct about Gene Bonsignore and George Lazor. Both started racing in 1976, which gives them four decades each.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I don't know if this topic includes ice speedway, if so does anyone know the history of Per Olaf Serenius.

If we also include grass-track, that brings in Lew Coffin!

Steve

Where was Les McGillivray when he retired-I recall him for Hackney-I thought he was injured/sick a lot so did he really never miss a British League match?-was he ever present in 1965 for example? When did Les pass away??

Where was Les McGillivray when he retired-I recall him for Hackney-I thought he was injured/sick a lot so did he really never miss a British League match?-was he ever present in 1965 for example? When did Les pass away??

Yep, he was at Hackney, Bob. From his Hawks debut on April 2nd, 1965, until his last meeting on October 9, 1970, Les never missed an official meeting. He rode in 223 successive matches - 214 BL and 9 KOC.

Steve

That is amazing-I think perhaps he had injuries earlier in his career then-perhaps at Ipswish?Coventry?When did Les pass away-anyone know??

If we also include grass-track, that brings in Lew Coffin!

Steve

And quite probably Stan Tebby - he raced on grass as well as speedway between 1939 and the early 1970s.

I didn't notioce him above so lets have Conny Samuelsson, 1964-1999 without a break in the Swedish leagues.

Conny is sadly overlooked though I seem to mention him on here every few months.

Edited by miro