British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Railway End

Who was Raymond Humphries?

I spoke to Dad and Uncle Ted today both say he is alive and kicking, Uncle Ted saw him a little while ago @ Rye House.

Dad also confirmed the above about Tyburn being the last apprentice hangman in Britain, Tyburn changed his name by deed pole in honour of this.

Thanks Shazzy.

He changed his name by deed pole because the Control Board wouldn't let him use the name Tyburn Gallows. Once he'd done that, of course, they couldn't stop him. But they did get their own way over banning him from wearing a 'Ban the Bomb' motif on his race jacket!

Track Review on Oxford in the Speedway Star & News

January 21 1966.

Tyburn Gallows had 2 matches with a match Av of o.oo

Did he ride in the new 2nd Div in 1968?

He rode for Canterbury around 1968 as thats when we started all those years ago, like I said my dad was his mechanic and I know dad went there from the start

I have been trying to remember why I thought Tyburn Gallows was no longer with us and have just discovered where I got this - obviously erroneous - information from. He is marked as such in the 1999 list of members of the Veteran Riders Association. (It's the latest one I have). Does anyone have a more up to date list where this has been corrected? Steve?

And yes, Tyburn Gallows did ride for Canterbury in 1968. In fact he took part in the first-ever race in the British League Second Division, lining up with Lex Milloy against Taffy Owen and Ken Eyre of Belle Vue Colts. I won't embarrass Shazzy or Steve by revealing the score!

I've got Tyburn's British League days down like this (including matchs as a stand in).

Edinburgh(65),Oxford(65),West Ham(67),Canterbury(68),KingsLynnII(70)

A Programme note from the final Home meeting 17th oct 1967 West Ham v Long Eaton

TYBURN GALLOWS.Lots of people scoffed when we gave Tyburn rides, but this super-keen speedway enthusiast from North London has never really been given a fair run in speedway. Always the showman,he has given nothing less than 100 percent value and effort in our junior events and hasn't let the side down whe called upon to fill late-season injury gaps.

Record for West Ham 1967 Up 2 Oct 13th (2 Matches left)

British League M 1/R1/1sts0/2nds0/3rds0/Uplc1/P0/BP0/TP0/CMA0

London Cup M1/ R2/ Pts1/ Bpts0/ TP1/ CMA 2

Anyone intrested West Ham 45 L Eaton 33

Top Scorer West Ham S Harrfeldt 12 Max 4 Rides

L Eaton R Wilson 14 5 Rides A Michanek 9 5 Rides

T Gallows 2 Starts 2 EFs (Who was the mechanic Shazzy :? )

Shazzy is sat here next to me and says to tell you CHK the result above was when Tyburn rode for West Ham in 67 if you're having a little dig at shazzys dad being Tyburns mechanic this particular night your way off beat , her dad was his mechanic at Canterbury in 68 :clown

And yes, Tyburn Gallows did ride for Canterbury in 1968. In fact he took part in the first-ever race in the British League Second Division, lining up with Lex Milloy against Taffy Owen and Ken Eyre of Belle Vue Colts. I won't embarrass Shazzy or Steve by revealing the score!

Judging by what norbold has written above i doubt it very much CHK :P

Shazzybird xx

Norbold.... my 2001 VSRA membership book shows Tyburn Gallows as deceased.

the plot thickens...i'll see if i can find more recent info

steve

The story I've heard from different sources was that he returned home from his mum's funeral, & was found dead in his chair, having expired on the same day. Well it's a good story I suppose (exept if you're Tyburn of course).

Uncle Ted saw him a little while ago @ Rye House.

Will check out with him exactly what year this was, if your book says he is deceased :?

Spoke to my dad today and he says Tyburn Gallows, came home from his mums funeral and sat down on the chair and died in the chair age 51.

Perhaps your uncle Ted saw a ghost, Shazzy. Nothing would surprise me where Tyburn is concerned! :lol: